Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 01:29 PM

61,428 posts, read 86,506,480 times

Advertisements

Of course you will find a lot info about yourself - all is public records. Everything you post on Internet is searchable and never goes away, even if you "delete" it. YOU should be very careful what you post on Internet, and that incl. pictures.
Unlisted doesn't mean much. If someone wants to know, for mere $5 they will get all of this:
your Full Name
Age & Date of Birth
Address
Address History
Phone Numbers
Aliases
Relatives
Neighbors
Email Address(es)
Social Networks
Property Records
Marriage & Divorce
Criminal Records
Bankruptcies
Liens
Judgments
Lawsuits

Last edited by elnina; 12-10-2014 at 01:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2014, 05:13 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,767,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcam213
Is there something I am missing.......
Yes that facebook is a datamiming site.... No privacy is to be expected buddy... If i were you,you should get off now

Good luck!!

Old 12-11-2014, 06:19 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,590,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
It doesn't matter anymore. They found your friends, and they match you with them and their friends, and friends of their friends....

You can disable this feature, but that only means that you will not see it anymore. Your friends and their friends will.
Here how to disable it:
How to Disable the Facebook Friend Finder Suggestion | eHow
I don't see the same thing that page talks about in the center of the screen

"Click the "Manage Imported Contacts" link under "Add Personal Contacts as Friends" in the center of the screen."

isn't there.

Old 12-13-2014, 01:16 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,410,130 times
Since I think facebook goes overboard attempting to match up people to be friends, I didn't appreciate their near constant efforts to persuade me to be friend with the friends of my children and my grandchildren and the friends of their friends. I contacted the main office (which isn't easy to do) and told them I think it's invasive. Someone said how much they work to make life better for us. Oh, thank you, but I joined facebook only so I could look at photographs of my grandchildren. I have my own friends and facebook cannot help me chose them. Please please stop. They have noticeably decreased their activity in that direction.

Old 12-13-2014, 05:19 PM

1,212 posts, read 4,904,124 times
No one is able to tell me how they are able to get these people full name based only on cell phone number unless these people have my first and last name listed in their contacts...

Hmmm

Old 12-13-2014, 05:58 PM

3,549 posts, read 6,646,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcam213 View Post
No one is able to tell me how they are able to get these people full name based only on cell phone number unless these people have my first and last name listed in their contacts...

Hmmm
If it's using the cell numbers, it's probably just matching them to that person's facebook account. If they put their cell number on their facebook account, then it will be easy for FB to give you a first and last name.

Old 12-13-2014, 06:21 PM

4,977 posts, read 5,744,173 times
Quote:

too much!! and when I google my name, I find my house address and landline phone number.

Really too much. If I am unlisted will that at least stop me from being found for absolutely free??

I don't know why I am suddenly feeling a bit paranoid.
If you go to Google maps and enter you address, you may also be able to view your house on street view!

Old 12-14-2014, 12:27 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,897,019 times
Quote:
Not sure if this is the right area for this post but...

I am OLD and I have facebook. It seems in the last week something peculiar has happened on facebook. Suddenly I am getting the "people you may know" that is suggesting people that I have met OLD and one I met in person at ballroom dance.
I have their phone number in my smart phone but in some cases I didn't even list them as a contact, and in a few cases I didn't even know the person last name... just first name. After a brief text session we realized that we were not compatible and did not contact any longer... and now they are being suggested as a facebook friend... first AND LAST NAME.

There is even a couple that I deleted their phone numbers from my phone...

My thought is if I am getting their page as suggestion, most likely they are getting mine as well.

Is this something new? Is facebook now tracking people strictly thru cell phone numbers??? How can this be???

It is distressing because my last name was something I reserved for people who I deemed as balanced based on conversations over a course of days/weeks. There have been a few that after one talk on phone I realize that they are not for me.

Last name is something I withhold until I feel comfortable... WELL NOT ANYMORE thanks for FACEBOOK!!

Is there something I am missing in my privacy settings?
1. Don't give FB your cell phone number

2. Don't use your real name on FB

Old 12-14-2014, 12:49 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,897,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Yes that facebook is a datamiming site.... No privacy is to be expected buddy... If i were you,you should get off now

Good luck!!

If you use a fake name on FB you will be fine

Old 12-14-2014, 07:19 AM

1,212 posts, read 4,904,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
If it's using the cell numbers, it's probably just matching them to that person's facebook account. If they put their cell number on their facebook account, then it will be easy for FB to give you a first and last name.

Oh. Ok thanks that makes sense. It was really bothering me because I thought that cell phones were harder to trace unless you seen in law enforcement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet