Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2015, 08:28 PM

1,080 posts, read 1,195,746 times

Advertisements

ok so I signed up for time warner's 300 meg speed package. but I am only getting 150 megs and I called tech support. the guy ran some tests and told me that I was getting 340 megs down. so why am I only getting under 200 megs or less. what a rip off
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2015, 09:10 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,805,846 times
Now lets read the print:

Quote:
Enjoy more of what you love with better, faster Internet. You'll experience ultra-fast Internet speeds up to 300Mbps to download, stream, and search up to six times faster.*..................*Actual speeds may vary.
Network Improvements for Time Warner Cable

Now if you were plugged directly into the server, then maybe. Or if it were 3AM then most likely. But since you have neighbors, traffic on the lines and probably some db leaks in the cables then its going to cut down the speed. But over time as they upgrade the cables and the nodes the speed will increase. Personally I don't think paying for more than a 100 is worth it unless your doing actual downloading and not just surfing. I pay for 105 under Comcast and my current download speed is 120.

As a side note: Make sure you replaced all the cables in your home, got a new modem and a router designed to handle the new speed.

Old 01-03-2015, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Now lets read the print:

Network Improvements for Time Warner Cable

Now if you were plugged directly into the server, then maybe. Or if it were 3AM then most likely. But since you have neighbors, traffic on the lines and probably some db leaks in the cables then its going to cut down the speed. But over time as they upgrade the cables and the nodes the speed will increase. Personally I don't think paying for more than a 100 is worth it unless your doing actual downloading and not just surfing. I pay for 105 under Comcast and my current download speed is 120.

As a side note: Make sure you replaced all the cables in your home, got a new modem and a router designed to handle the new speed.
Well I signed up for it because I have 3 gamers in my home and I was paying for 100 megs before wich was costing me more than the new 300 meg package!! they just said that they did upgrade my area also. I did replace all of my cables in my home and the either net cables as well. my modem is an arris DG1670A wich from amazon looks like it's a problematic modem to begin with!! I do downloading like 20 and 40 gig games but that's it that's where the speed would come in..

Old 01-03-2015, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ground_pounder View Post
Well I signed up for it because I have 3 gamer's in my home and I was paying for 100 megs before which was costing me more than the new 300 meg package!! they just said that they did upgrade my area also. I did replace all of my cables in my home and the Ethernet cables as well. my modem is an arris DG1670A which from amazon looks like it's a problematic modem to begin with!! I do downloading like 20 and 40 gig games but that's it that's where the speed would come in..
On average we run 6 devices at one time with at least two running some sort of streaming. I had a Arris at one time and it was a POJ. Get a Motorola or a SMC.

As another side note: Keep in mind that as providers provide higher bandwidth the advertising on websites will also increase causing your cache in each computer to bog you down. Go to ebay and order a copy of Norton Utilities for about $14 and load it on each computer (PC). We run it about twice a day to clear out the daily garbage. We've started switching over to Macs and they seem to do much better comparatively.

Old 01-04-2015, 01:47 AM

[ATTACH][/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails
sighned up for timewarners 300 megs speed internet-st.png  

Old 01-04-2015, 02:42 AM

It should be better at this hour. Try midweek at this hour and see what you get.

Old 01-04-2015, 05:51 AM

43,377 posts, read 77,290,983 times
Arris IS Motorola.

But, you might check the model against TWC recommendations. Here, I am seeing TWC recommend the Motorola Arris SB6183 for DOCSIS 3 over 50MBPS. They are a bit pricey. I have been looking for one to be ready for the MAXX upgrade, and it seems that Best Buy currently has the best price.

Motorola Arris Surfboard 600 Series DOCSIS 3 0 Cable Modem White | eBay

http://www.amazon.com/ARRIS-Motorola...ref=pd_cp_pc_0

Last edited by MikeJaquish; 01-04-2015 at 06:18 AM..

Old 01-04-2015, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Arris IS Motorola.

fyi:Motorola is NOW Arris. But it wasn't a few months ago.

https://www.arrisi.com/special/learn_more/arris.asp
Arris closes deal to buy Motorola Home cable and internet biz from Google

Old 01-04-2015, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
It should be better at this hour. Try midweek at this hour and see what you get.
I seems like I got fast as the morning went on I got upto 246 megs down. i'll try again later to run a speed test. if it's not consistant like my 100 megs service was then it's just not worth it!! and mike is right Motorola is now arris. i am wondering if it's taking a while for the modem to provision itself through the system

Old 01-04-2015, 12:02 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,139,380 times
When you are testing this use ethernet and be sure no other devices are using any bandwidth. Ideally disconnect the router from the modem and connect one computer to the modem with ethernet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet