U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 10:16 PM

199 posts, read 241,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePage View Post
True !
I actually do not need all those TV channels.
LOL, Me either. I don't have time to watch much TV. I spend all my time either browsing and doing research online or working on 1 of my websites. I do watch movies once in a while but not on TV, just on DVD or Blu-ray.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2015, 11:34 AM

974 posts, read 1,267,494 times
Quote:
True !
Most people don't. I do 90% of my TV watching on Netflix / Amazon Prime / Hulu Plus. That's why streaming + Sling TV + OTA may be the way to go.

Old 03-05-2015, 01:03 PM

14,313 posts, read 16,383,094 times
Quote:
+1 for the "prefer not to bundle"! There are too many cheap but good VOIP phone services for a few bucks, as well as free online TV services. Bundles are just a way to get you to buy something else that you really don't need.
Here's the dirty truth about why they try to get you to bundle. Especially your home phone.
They basically give you a different modem and run your new 'phone line' over the existing internet connection that you are already paying for. So they basically give you something that costs them nothing for a tiny bundled "upcharge". "Only $10-15 to add your home phone!"
Sometimes they even take $5 off your cable bill to get you to add Home Phone.
Remember... it costs them NOTHING.
So now the phone company gets kicked to the curb. If you ever decide to switch from Cable, even going back to your Telco's cheapest plan is going to cost you $20-$25. So the cable company isn't giving you a "great deal"... they are locking you in to their service for life..... trying to anyway.
Once you get used to not paying that phone bill... are you going to go back? Another $20 a month??

Old 03-05-2015, 01:10 PM

32,211 posts, read 74,603,453 times
Quote:
True !
You also don't (shouldn't) need their box either.
I know I didn't but they still insisted I take it (put it in a closet) anyway.

A year or so later when the intro deal ended they wanted to charge for the box & remote.
It wasn't long after this that I gave TWC the boot.

Old 03-05-2015, 03:07 PM

12,973 posts, read 14,557,991 times
This s all very geograsphic sensitive. I have copper phone and cable. I can get relatively good broad band on cable (50 down) marginal on DSL. (5 down). However there are vast areas nearby which have no cable and very limited copper...in fact in some Century Link declines to provide any DSL. This as fallout from the days before cable added phone. Cable was not a public utility and therefore did not have automatic access to the utility easement. Some developers tried to hold up Cox for a payment to use the utility trench...and many tracts ended up without cable. And it is expensive to add after the fact. One four house tract got an estimate of $18,000 for cable though Cox would eat two thirds of that cost.

There really are no practical alternatives. Get a microwave link for around $200 per month.

IN my case3 we really have the choice of cox or cox. It may be practical to go with sling and cox internet and do away with Cox cable. Considering that. Century Link is laying fibe4r but it looks very long term...maybe they will get to us in 10 or 15 years.

Old 03-05-2015, 04:10 PM

1,635 posts, read 1,677,661 times
Quote:
To keep this stuff expensive , they added TV to it.
Why can't internet High speed internet be just $ 20/ month, plus Cable TV it should be something like 40 bucks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Start your own internet service and charge $20/mo. I'm sure you'll be quite popular.
Good idea. I can manage the 50 phone 24/7/365 call center. There's some techy guys around here who can man the NOC to make sure the signal stays up. There's bound to be some retail management around here who can hve conference calls to devise the type of services 'ThePage' internet will provide. Of course, the company can do like Hillary and setup their own email server at home. But then they'd have no time for time for surfing that $20 internet.

Old 03-05-2015, 04:20 PM

8,794 posts, read 7,071,413 times
I pay $14 for High Speed. NOT BROADBAND SPEED, but definitely better than dial-up speed of old. Is it slow? Yes. But it is fast enough for me to watch a movie or show on HULU, ABC, NBC, CBS or comedy central and other streamings from the net.

Good enough for me, and I too refuse to pay $60/month for broadband.

Old 03-05-2015, 04:49 PM

6,895 posts, read 10,970,518 times
I feel sorry for you people that have a choice for reasonably priced broadband service.

I live in a rural area and my choices are satellite or wireless 4g service. ALL of these providers have very expensive low data cap plans. The SAT service is not a real choice for me since it has latency up to 1000ms whereas 4g service is running around 49ms. I require low latency for my internet so I am stuck with 4g.

I currently pay 165 dollars for two 4g data plans. Since the service is not reliable from any provider I have to have two data plans. (Sprint & At&t) I use Sprint as my primary and AT&T as a backup. Since my internet service is tax deductible my true cost is more like 120 dollars. It sucks BUT at least I don't have to live in the city or worse yet subdivision hell.........

Old 03-05-2015, 07:38 PM

1,635 posts, read 1,677,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
I feel sorry for you people that have a choice for reasonably priced broadband service.

I live in a rural area and my choices are satellite or wireless 4g service. ALL of these providers have very expensive low data cap plans. The SAT service is not a real choice for me since it has latency up to 1000ms whereas 4g service is running around 49ms. I require low latency for my internet so I am stuck with 4g.

I currently pay 165 dollars for two 4g data plans. Since the service is not reliable from any provider I have to have two data plans. (Sprint & At&t) I use Sprint as my primary and AT&T as a backup. Since my internet service is tax deductible my true cost is more like 120 dollars. It sucks BUT at least I don't have to live in the city or worse yet subdivision hell.........
Sorry to hear about the internet access. I have a friend north of Denton, Tx who is just beyond broadband access. He also has satellite for internet and pays a bunch, with download caps. The kicker is, his wife works for the bigBIG phone company (and he used to)... but that doesn't help.

Old 03-05-2015, 09:25 PM

9,461 posts, read 11,114,212 times
So with the kind and gentle ISDN company I had three years ago, I spent $80 a month for 128k. Yes, K. $30 for 20 TV channels. The only option at the time in our area.

Then the evil Comcast arrives, upgrades everything and then has the nerve to charge me $70 a month for 105m of data speed plus 70 channels of TV. Take it or leave it. Total ripoff!!!

I hate Comcast!

Last edited by Mr5150; 03-05-2015 at 10:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet