Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2015, 01:58 PM

43,280 posts, read 77,092,464 times

Advertisements

Name dropping...

If you are talking to an "experienced WordPress developer," what 5-10 specific common plugins would you think that person should be familiar with?

???
Jetpack
Akismet
All in One SEO Pack
WordPress SEO by Yoast
Wordfence
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2015, 01:10 PM

199 posts, read 261,020 times
If it was an "experienced" WordPress developer then the ones you listed SHOULD be very well known, even if that person doesn't use them.

I would also add these to that list:
W3 Total Cache
WP Super Cache
Contact Form 7
Googly analytics dashboard for WP
Mailchimp
bbPress

There are many others but these are some of the more widely used. I would say that if the developer doesn't know these then they haven't enough experience for me. Even if they don't use them, they should know then because of their usage numbers and for how well known they are.

Each developer seems to have their preferences as far as what plugins they prefer and a few can be kind of well, let's say quirky.

Old 03-13-2015, 03:40 PM

Good list.
Trying to build a bit of a name-dropping list to test people a bit.

I have bumped into two lately who had never heard of Wordfence.
Of course, one didn't know the difference between 16:9, 16:10, and 4:3 aspect ratio monitors, either. He DQ'd rapidamente.

Old 03-13-2015, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Good list.
Trying to build a bit of a name-dropping list to test people a bit.

I have bumped into two lately who had never heard of Wordfence.
Of course, one didn't know the difference between 16:9, 16:10, and 4:3 aspect ratio monitors, either. He DQ'd rapidamente.
That is a very good idea. You would be surprised how many SUPPOSED WordPress developers there are out there. Some think that just because they created a free blog on the WordPress site they are now developers.

Wordfence is one of the most well known plugins. If a developer doesn't know Wordfence then drop his/her contact info like third period French! LOL

It makes news in WordPress circles/sites/etc so much because they list vulnerabilities in plugins/themes/etc and their word spreads fast. Even if you use another security plugin, a developer had better know what Wordfence is!

Old 03-14-2015, 05:53 AM

WooCommerce SQL injection vulnerability - Wordfence Blog

Old 03-14-2015, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Yeah, I got that notification as well as many others. Since I use Wordfence on a few of my sites I get notifications of vulnerabilities as well as other notifications about plugins/themes/etc.

I recently started testing out the Wordfence caching to see if it was better than the other cache plugins I was using and it is actually better than all the major cache plugins I have tested. I checked to page load times and their is definitely a nice speed gain. I was surprised because Wordfence is known for their security mostly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet