Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2015, 09:06 PM

199 posts, read 259,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
I'm thinking of building another site, but a simple, straightforward site just for the heck of it. Nothing fancy, just for fun. I don't see any site I build as a moneymaker, but just something to play around with when the wife is watching TV!
That sounds like a good idea. If you use it for something to do when you have free time and the TV is tied up LOL. Just put things on it that you like or are interested in, stuff like that.

The way I looked at mine was that I just put stuff on it that crossed my mind when I had available time, I wasn't worried about making money. It does make some though, but not a lot. If you just build one for fun and maybe as a hobby and don't go the route of looking to make money than it will probably be a better site for your visitors.

Too many people are just worried about the making money aspect. My experience has been to create one as a passion/love/hobby/etc and if it is meant to make money it will. Sometimes if you are trying to just make money the site won't be a good experience for it's visitors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2015, 01:07 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,215,351 times
Personal websites are still big. They are just used differently than decades ago. If people want to post their personal lives they typically use a blogging solution like WordPress. Some may go a bit further and use a CMS (Content management system) such as Drupal. And then there are people who depend on personal websites for their livelihood - small business owners, web developers, graphic artists... Some of these folks may create the website on their own utilizing a web hosting service. For a lot of computer related jobs, it is imperative to have your own website to impress potential employers. It's an implied part of your resume.

Old 03-13-2015, 01:24 PM

5,914 posts, read 6,395,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eGeekUniverse View Post
That sounds like a good idea. If you use it for something to do when you have free time and the TV is tied up LOL. Just put things on it that you like or are interested in, stuff like that.

The way I looked at mine was that I just put stuff on it that crossed my mind when I had available time, I wasn't worried about making money. It does make some though, but not a lot. If you just build one for fun and maybe as a hobby and don't go the route of looking to make money than it will probably be a better site for your visitors.

Too many people are just worried about the making money aspect. My experience has been to create one as a passion/love/hobby/etc and if it is meant to make money it will. Sometimes if you are trying to just make money the site won't be a good experience for it's visitors.
Exactly! Shows you, too, how much different times are nowadays. I would just about bet most people would say, "Why would I spend time building a website just for fun and not get paid for it? I've got no time for that! Just have a Facebook page. That's all you need!"

Another thing I miss is being able to search for something and finding it on the first page of returns. For instance, if I want WWE wrestlers made into Southpark characters, there's bound to be someone online who has done that. And sure enough, you'd find it in the first few links. Nowadays, if you search for something that can't be found on Facebook, the first page of returns is Yahoo Answers!

Old 03-13-2015, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielWayne View Post
Personal websites are still big. They are just used differently than decades ago. If people want to post their personal lives they typically use a blogging solution like WordPress. Some may go a bit further and use a CMS (Content management system) such as Drupal. And then there are people who depend on personal websites for their livelihood - small business owners, web developers, graphic artists... Some of these folks may create the website on their own utilizing a web hosting service. For a lot of computer related jobs, it is imperative to have your own website to impress potential employers. It's an implied part of your resume.
I'm not talking about business websites though. I'm talking about personal websites. Personal websites that are created just for the fun of it. Just to say, "Hey, I love said band or football team!" Sites that Facebook basically killed. Provided, a lot of these sites were built by college students who either abandoned them or closed them down when they graduated college. But, still did a lot to help build community online. I know there's still plenty of business sites out there. But, that's businesses. And Wordpress seems to be so cookie cutter, that often, sites start to look like carbon copies of each other.

Old 03-13-2015, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Exactly! Shows you, too, how much different times are nowadays. I would just about bet most people would say, "Why would I spend time building a website just for fun and not get paid for it? I've got no time for that! Just have a Facebook page. That's all you need!"

Another thing I miss is being able to search for something and finding it on the first page of returns. For instance, if I want WWE wrestlers made into Southpark characters, there's bound to be someone online who has done that. And sure enough, you'd find it in the first few links. Nowadays, if you search for something that can't be found on Facebook, the first page of returns is Yahoo Answers!
Yes, it seems like everyone nowadays just wants to see how many Facebook Likes & Friends or Twitter Followers. I think many people think that if they reach a certain amount of likes, followers or whatever then they are special just for that reason. The more Facebook likes I have then the more people really like me. LOL

If someone wants Likes, followers or whatever then you can just go to Fiverr and buy them in batches all day long for $5.

Old 03-16-2015, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Yes, it seems like everyone nowadays just wants to see how many Facebook Likes & Friends or Twitter Followers. I think many people think that if they reach a certain amount of likes, followers or whatever then they are special just for that reason. The more Facebook likes I have then the more people really like me. LOL

If someone wants Likes, followers or whatever then you can just go to Fiverr and buy them in batches all day long for $5.
What I post, mostly, on my Facebook page is pictures of my 5 month old son. He, easily, gets a bucket full of likes. I'll admit, Facebook has gotten almost like the morning paper for me. I'll sit at the kitchen table, eating my breakfast, and scroll through all of the posts. But I'm not so much of a big "poster" on Facebook.

But as for my website. I'm going to want an old school approach to it. I want it to have a "classic" look and feel. Some may call it an outdated look, but to each his own. I'd rather it be more highly functioning and rich in content, rather than to be "updated" and way too busy with stuff that isn't content related. I don't want any attachments to Facebook. Anytime I read a news or sports story, I wind up spending too much time reading the fights in the comments section rather than focusing on the news story itself. If anything, I might go old school with a guestbook.

I think it's almost the approach that some people have toward music. They get so tired of the present day music sounding like everybody else, that they wind up going back to the old stuff. Same with me with websites I guess.

Old 03-16-2015, 07:43 PM

Quote:
What I post, mostly, on my Facebook page is pictures of my 5 month old son. He, easily, gets a bucket full of likes. I'll admit, Facebook has gotten almost like the morning paper for me. I'll sit at the kitchen table, eating my breakfast, and scroll through all of the posts. But I'm not so much of a big "poster" on Facebook.

But as for my website. I'm going to want an old school approach to it. I want it to have a "classic" look and feel. Some may call it an outdated look, but to each his own. I'd rather it be more highly functioning and rich in content, rather than to be "updated" and way too busy with stuff that isn't content related. I don't want any attachments to Facebook. Anytime I read a news or sports story, I wind up spending too much time reading the fights in the comments section rather than focusing on the news story itself. If anything, I might go old school with a guestbook.

I think it's almost the approach that some people have toward music. They get so tired of the present day music sounding like everybody else, that they wind up going back to the old stuff. Same with me with websites I guess.
I think that's a good idea, going old school with your site. Too many of these newer websites all look the same, except for maybe the colors and a few other minor details. There are also tons of websites out there that are hard to navigate through and find what you are looking for.

Then you have to deal with tons of popups. Do a Google search for the latest tech news or something like that and you will find a bbc.com story usually in the top few. Then click on the result link and every time you go to a story of theirs, there is a full page advertisement of some kind. You usually can't get straight to the story without dealing with that darn advertisement.

I personally would like to see more old school websites without all the junk and 10 sentence articles.

Old 03-17-2015, 07:35 AM

Quote:
I think that's a good idea, going old school with your site. Too many of these newer websites all look the same, except for maybe the colors and a few other minor details. There are also tons of websites out there that are hard to navigate through and find what you are looking for.

Then you have to deal with tons of popups. Do a Google search for the latest tech news or something like that and you will find a bbc.com story usually in the top few. Then click on the result link and every time you go to a story of theirs, there is a full page advertisement of some kind. You usually can't get straight to the story without dealing with that darn advertisement.

I personally would like to see more old school websites without all the junk and 10 sentence articles.
That's just it. So many ads on these websites, and it's sometimes hard to tell what's an ad and what's actually a part of the webpage content. Of course, I do remember the pop-ups from years ago, so I realize it wasn't all roses and kittens back in the day, but usually a site that was a paid domain and host were usually free from such things.

Old 03-17-2015, 08:54 AM

1,242 posts, read 1,679,544 times
Yes, they are called blogs now.

Old 03-17-2015, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eazine View Post
Yes, they are called blogs now.
Yeah, but, blogs are still controlled by Wordpress. And even still a lot of blog sites I've seen all seem to look exactly the same. And, they're often tied back to Facebook.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet