Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2015, 04:38 PM

2,861 posts, read 3,848,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Yep, snapchat, Twitter, Instagram, and others. That where they go now.
...for now. In a few months... well years... "they"(?) will be elsewhere. It is the nature of the Internet, tech trends, and companies who try to exploit members for info and ad$.

Hopefully...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2015, 05:56 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
I and family all use facebook to keep up. I have never understood why people befriend people they don't know or not recommended by friend then gripe at the problems they have. Seems younger people have less real friends and have less face to face social contact now days.

Old 03-27-2015, 05:24 PM

2,765 posts, read 2,791,405 times
Because FaceBook is evil.

Old 04-03-2015, 12:08 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,808,660 times
Facebook just serves as a reminder that the world is full of self absorbed people. At best, it is for people who are extroverted. I don't desire attention/sympathy. I desire solutions to my problems.
I don't even like Twitter that much because it's almost the same. I prefer it in a way to Facebook because it's anonymous and I could check up on what my favs are saying but I can only go on it for so long before I get bored. At the most, I could only go on it for an hour a day. Also the character limit is so restricting. Instagram is only for people who take pictures so I just browse others on occasion. Never post stuff myself. I don't even have a Snapchat but apparently it's not much different than Instagram.
The better question is why people are not really posting on message boards anymore. Aside from CD, it seems like a lot of message boards have just died because of people moving to places like Twitter. Can't understand the fascination of these networks. Myspace used to be cool but even then I didn't talk much to people on there either.

Old 04-03-2015, 01:09 PM

18,525 posts, read 18,732,187 times
Have to agree most of the people I know have left messageboards and forums saying they are boring, but to me FB is just to brag and look for attention and an ego boost..

Old 04-03-2015, 01:13 PM

18,525 posts, read 18,732,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Facebook seems to be for the 55 and over crowd that has friended people from their high school who that haven't seen for 30 years. Many post photo after photo of their grandkids.
Ive noticed that too... why they want to do this to show off grandkids every day or talk about mundane things they ve done each day is beyone me..I find it a place to brag or show off.. its the cornyness of it all.. without any substance if you know what I mean..or some use it for their own gain to puff themselves up boasting about their talents and triumphs.. and hardly ever go on FB and glad Im not alone in what I feel about it as I thought it was me who was weird not liking it...

Old 04-03-2015, 01:22 PM

211 posts, read 301,678 times
I stopped using it because I couldn't bear the stupidity of the posts by my friends and family members. I was happier with folk before they started revealing how monumentally ignorant they were. A good 90% of Shares are of fake stories and made up bs quotes and the poster doesn't realize or even care to verify authenticity. I'd rather not feel this condescending and disdainful of friends and family. I still check it periodically but can't bring myself to participate in that kind of a circle-jerk. So no posts since June of last year and don't foresee ever posting again.

In summary, most Facebook users are stupid and I didn't want any part of it.

Old 04-04-2015, 07:31 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,070,521 times
Never had an account on facebook. And I don't feel like I'm missing anything.

Old 04-04-2015, 08:27 PM

3,475 posts, read 3,275,915 times
Billions of people around the world are still using facebook. Entire revolutions have been mobilized in several countries across the world using facebook in recent years. Facebook has found ways to make it part of people's everyday lives by offering it as a way to easily register and log in to various websites.

Also they listened to users and made various settings for more members privacy. Now people tailor their news updates to separate friends list that they want to see their things. Many more people on facebook have dug deeper into facebook by joining in fb groups. You can find a fb group for most any interest you have and they're made up of tens of thousands of members sometimes. Some of these fb groups are highly active and similar to online forums but offer an alternative to it that allows for more privacy in posting because they can make setting for their fb group be Public, Closed or Secret.

I'm in at least three secret groups for different things that has well over 10,000+ members. We share news and links and talk about our mutual interests in say British culture, or the Tech Sector, or Politics all day 24/7. There's a lot to talk about when you have that many people from around the world with the same interests in such a large group.

If you're not getting updates from people then perhaps you're not on their list for updates.

Old 04-05-2015, 11:54 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,189,698 times
I use FB almost every day to:

~ See what the family scattered all over the world is up to.

~ Discuss specific details and swap photos of ongoing model builds in FB forums

~ It's great for keeping in touch once in a while with people who are considered acquaintances

~ Ghostry and AdBlock Plus take care of annoyances

~ I don't befriend every human being and bot that sends me a request hence I don't have more than 50 friends

~ I don't respond (no matter who it's from) to join some new super cool game

~ Privacy aspects? Lets get real, our privacy went away long before FB showed up.

~ And lastly the younger generation(s) seen to have this attitude that they are entitled to "free" social apps and feel these "free" apps should be paid for by other organizations (but please, don't display the advertisements while they want to use the service...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet