Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2015, 07:48 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,997,495 times

Advertisements

Geniuses Representing Universal Pictures Ask Google To Delist 127.0.0.1 For Piracy

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20...1-piracy.shtml
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2015, 11:46 AM

23,601 posts, read 70,412,676 times
It hit stupid long ago. I had a YouTube video of my father's 1940s 8mm footage of an airport delisted because of copyright infringement. The reason? The BLANK (Yes SOUNDLESS!) soundtrack was claimed by a company as an infringement on their copyrighted song. I pretty much stopped uploading to YouTube after that.

Automated systems in general are getting more and more stupid. We just got a robo-call today from Humana informing my wife of the benefits of signing up for a Humana plan... She already is ON a Humana plan. I sent a couple of certified cease and desist letters last week to two debt collection companies that had my private phone number on robo-calls. My HOPE is that they will continue to call, since I never had any debt, the calls have been harassing, and now I can sue for every tie the phone rings from them. Automated systems should ALL have severe penalties for mis-use and ****-poor coding.

Old 07-24-2015, 11:50 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
The BLANK (Yes SOUNDLESS!) soundtrack was claimed by a company as an infringement on their copyrighted song. I pretty much stopped uploading to YouTube after that.
Did they remove it or just send you notice someone was claiming copyright?

I don't know if they have been able to clamp down on it but what they were doing was claiming copyright, most people would ignore it and the company claiming copyright could then collect on the ad revenue.

Quote:
I sent a couple of certified cease and desist letters last week to two debt collection companies that had my private phone number on robo-calls. My HOPE is that they will continue to call, since I never had any debt, the calls have been harassing, and now I can sue for every tie the phone rings from them.
Wen through that with a relative that passed away with a lot of debt. You'll keep getting them becsue they pass it on onto some other company. As soon as you get the first letter or phone call from a new company you have to act, tell them on the phone and in writing you dispute the debt and not to call you again or you will contact the FTC. That will put an end to it assuming the debt is bogus.

Last edited by thecoalman; 07-24-2015 at 12:09 PM..

Old 07-24-2015, 12:03 PM

How exactly do you copyright silence? That's like copyrighting air

Agreed that the whole system is crap and needs a serious overhaul.

Old 07-24-2015, 12:04 PM

They removed/blocked it. The problem for me was I had a he lluva time even trying to find the company making the claim, to be able to contact them for a demand for correction. I followed the asinine "request" form with zero results in resolving the issue. I stuck up a few choice comments with the video and eventually someone responded, but the experience was enough to sour me on the whole thing.

Old 07-24-2015, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
How exactly do you copyright silence? That's like copyrighting air

Agreed that the whole system is crap and needs a serious overhaul.
Someone actually DID try that with mixed results. I ran across it in some of my research on the inequities of intellectual property laws. It was just another insanity that added to the pile converting me from a supporter of those laws to someone regularly ranting for reform and a return of the stolen public domain.

Old 07-24-2015, 12:10 PM

Quote:
I sent a couple of certified cease and desist letters last week to two debt collection companies that had my private phone number on robo-calls. My HOPE is that they will continue to call, since I never had any debt, the calls have been harassing, and now I can sue for every tie the phone rings from them.
Wen through that with a relative that passed away with a lot of debt. You'll keep getting them becsue they pass it on onto some other company. As soon as you get the first letter or phone call from a new company you have to act, tell them on the phone and in writing you dispute the debt and not to call you again or you will contact the FTC. That will put an end to it assuming the debt is bogus.

Old 07-24-2015, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Unless of course your company name is Time Warner

Old 07-24-2015, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Unless of course your company name is Time Warner
The key here Dave is to act on the first letter or phone call. Certified letter, short and sweet stating you dispute the debt, don't call again. They can keep sending you letters but they get one phone call after that.

Quote:

Debt Collection | Consumer Information
How can I stop a debt collector from contacting me?

If a collector contacts you about a debt, you may want to talk to them at least once to see if you can resolve the matter – even if you don’t think you owe the debt, can’t repay it immediately, or think that the collector is contacting you by mistake. If you decide after contacting the debt collector that you don’t want the collector to contact you again, tell the collector – in writing – to stop contacting you. Here’s how to do that:
Make a copy of your letter. Send the original by certified mail, and pay for a “return receipt” so you’ll be able to document what the collector received. Once the collector receives your letter, they may not contact you again, with two exceptions: a collector can contact you to tell you there will be no further contact or to let you know that they or the creditor intend to take a specific action, like filing a lawsuit. Sending such a letter to a debt collector you owe money to does not get rid of the debt, but it should stop the contact. The creditor or the debt collector still can sue you to collect the debt.

They have to go through some work when you dispute the debt. They pay pennies on the dollar for the debt, unless it's a large amount they usually won't bother or in my case it was the estate they were after. There was no estate... You usually won't hear anything until the next round with some other company.

Quote:
§ 809. Validation of debts [15 USC 1692g]

(a) Within five days after the initial communication with a consumer in connection with the collection of any debt, a debt collector shall, unless the following information is contained in the initial communication or the consumer has paid the debt, send the consumer a written notice containing --
(1) the amount of the debt;
(2) the name of the creditor to whom the debt is owed;
(3) a statement that unless the consumer, within thirty days after receipt of the notice, disputes the validity of the debt, or any portion thereof, the debt will be assumed to be valid by the debt collector;
(4) a statement that if the consumer notifies the debt collector in writing within the thirty-day period that the debt, or any portion thereof, is disputed, the debt collector will obtain verification of the debt or a copy of a judgment against the consumer and a copy of such verification or judgment will be mailed to the consumer by the debt collector; and
(5) a statement that, upon the consumer's written request within the thirty-day period, the debt collector will provide the consumer with the name and address of the original creditor, if different from the current creditor.
(b) If the consumer notifies the debt collector in writing within the thirty-day period described in subsection (a) that the debt, or any portion thereof, is disputed, or that the consumer requests the name and address of the original creditor, the debt collector shall cease collection of the debt, or any disputed portion thereof, until the debt collector obtains verification of the debt or any copy of a judgment, or the name and address of the original creditor, and a copy of such verification or judgment, or name and address of the original creditor, is mailed to the consumer by the debt collector.
(c) The failure of a consumer to dispute the validity of a debt under this section may not be construed by any court as an admission of liability by the consumer.

Old 07-24-2015, 12:48 PM

This is how I reworded some boilerplate:

Letterhead, my address and phone #

Re: Notice to Cease Contact Regarding Debt for Unknown Individual

Name of Bill Collector
Address of Bill Collector

date

VIA CERTIFIED MAIL

I am notifying you in writing that your agency has repeatedly contacted my private telephone number XXX-XXX-XXXX regarding a debt for an unknown individual.

I have no outstanding debt, no one with any outstanding debt resides here or uses my phone. I am requesting that you immediately cease all communication to my phone number regarding any debt. If you persist in believing that I or anyone else is somehow connected with my address and/or phone number, please provide written proof of your claim.

You should direct all future correspondence in writing as outlined in the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA) and to cease all communication with me by telephone.

Lastly, I would like to receive confirmation in writing that you have received this letter and will no longer be contacting me about this other person's debt, or I will be forced to seek legal action.

I look forward to your acknowledgement that you have received this notice by (allow two weeks). (( I also used the return receipt on certified mail to show delivery and receipt in any legal action))

Sincerely,

Like I said, I'm just HOPING they will call now. I already have logs of numerous previous calls from them and getting a judgment will be a piece of cake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet