Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 02:00 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,745,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I'm curious to know what "cleaner" you use to speed up the internet connection? Maybe it will help the OP with close page loading problems.

My personal experience is that Windows 7 laptops and OSX laptops perform similarly for viewing web pages. I have a ThinkPad W and a Macbook Pro that are well equipped with similar specs and I don't notice any difference in web page loading speed. I use Chrome and have flash disabled on both.

OSX requires nothing. Window requires Norton Utilities. Now go resolve OP issue in #1 since I am not the topic mr know it all who thinks he's the best of everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2015, 01:20 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Window requires Norton Utilities.
No it doesn't.

Have you posted anything factual or even remotely helpful in this thread, other than the statement that Safari isn't well supported on Windows?

Old 08-01-2015, 09:53 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,745,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
No it doesn't.

Have you posted anything factual or even remotely helpful in this thread, other than the statement that Safari isn't well supported on Windows?

From my perspective, Yes. I have a command center type of office with around a dozen computers connected to the internet running for multiple clients. Each one of the PCs have Norton Utilities on them and thus I have no issues with popups nor do I have issues with slow loading pages. My current speedtest is 118/12 which is slower than my norm. It's best to start off the day with a computer clean of cookies using Utilities than going through a day of blank popups or messages from the website asking to not block websites. Proactive methods do a much better job than reactive measures that simply bandaid the issue.

\end

Old 08-07-2015, 01:38 PM

8,317 posts, read 13,447,487 times
I also second browser add-ons to improve browsing performance.

Adblock Plus or Adblock Edge is a must have nowadays for multiple reasons.
Ghostery is also helpful and Speed DNS (Firefox/Waterfox) could also help.

If you have a fast Internet connection and performance seemed to have degraded recently, deleting browser cache, flash cookies and Java cache (if used) could also help. Browser cache is meant to improve browsing performance by stored static data on the local drive of your computer but occasionally the data can get corrupt so clearing it when you are experiencing issues would be logical but not on a daily basis as it would defeat the purpose.

"Getting a Mac" would probably be just as practical as getting a Big Mac w/cheese to improve browsing performance on a Windows system.

I kid, I kid!

Old 08-07-2015, 11:45 PM

8,299 posts, read 3,811,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
"Getting a Mac" would probably be just as practical as getting a Big Mac w/cheese to improve browsing performance on a Windows system.
Absolutely. That's why it's great that we have people who have knowledge about computers to guide people looking for information, like the OP, away from these ridiculous suggestions.

Old 08-08-2015, 12:39 AM

15,912 posts, read 20,196,672 times
Date of article: AUGUST 6, 2015 |

How about suggesting the EFF's Privacy Badger 1.0???

Quote:
Privacy Badger 1.0 works in tandem with the new Do Not Track (DNT) policy, announced earlier this week by EFF, Disconnect, Medium, Mixpanel, Adblock, and DuckDuckGo. Installing Privacy Badger also enables the DNT flag as a clear signal to sites that the user wants to opt-out of online tracking. Privacy Badger inspects third party sites for a commitment to honor that request under the DNT Policy; if it finds one, it will unblock that third party by default
https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2015/0...nline-tracking

As with the virus/worm/trojan goodies multiple products need to be deployed against them.

Same goes for this latest round of nasties....

Old 08-08-2015, 08:16 PM

1,322 posts, read 3,474,086 times
Thank you for all your suggestions although I did not mean to start a mac/pc war. I may not have been clear. I do have adblock but so many pages seem to have video, scrolling banners and other advertisements even if the ad is blocked, it still slows performance. I just downloaded windows 10 in hopes that will improve.

Old 08-26-2015, 01:43 AM

7 posts, read 3,806 times
Sometimes pages take time to load due to network problem, but there are really good sites where you can find good articles without any hassle.

Old 09-07-2015, 11:24 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,370,438 times
I'm using Mac & Firefox browser (and already have AdBlockerPlus), but...

Firefox included in their browser a feature called Reader (option icon appears in address/URL bar)
that one can click & it simplifies the page's content for easier (less distracting) reading.
It's a bit like the old days when you could get a "text-only" version of a page/site.

Here, it's listed as an add-on, but I got it in the recent (free) update to desktop browser:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/reader/

It doesn't work on every page, but it's nice option to have on occasion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet