Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2015, 11:55 AM

1,322 posts, read 3,466,495 times

Advertisements

Is anyone annoyed at all the added videos, etc added to pages? You can't seem to click on an article anymore without there being a video commercial and banners streaming - so much so that it takes forever for the page to load. Is there any way around this? I do understand the advertising necessity but more often then not, I close the window in frustration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2015, 01:25 PM

23,566 posts, read 70,192,760 times
Adblock and no-script in a Firefox browser will get most of it.

Old 07-26-2015, 08:08 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,675,028 times
Get a Mac for surfing.

Old 07-26-2015, 08:13 PM

8,295 posts, read 3,788,530 times
I second the recommendation for adblock. Also, I use Chrome and disable flash. I use both PCs and Macs, and pages load extremely fast.

Old 07-26-2015, 09:01 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Disconnect or Ghostery to stop wasting time and bandwidth on trackers and assorted BS. This alone is usually enough to get loading times down to something reasonable.

Adblock if you must, though then you're depriving web sites of (one of) their only revenue streams.

Old 07-26-2015, 10:42 PM

41,815 posts, read 50,941,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Get a Mac for surfing.
ROFL laughing.... WTF does a Mac have to with it? Assuming the same settings in the browser if a page does load exactly the same on any platform/browser then there is either a bug in the browser or a bug on the page.

Old 07-27-2015, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
ROFL laughing.... WTF does a Mac have to with it? Assuming the same settings in the browser if a page does load exactly the same on any platform/browser then there is either a bug in the browser or a bug on the page.

No Flash. Don't have play with settings. FWIW I use both platforms, depending on my needs. But for surfing it's Mac all the way. My iPad and a real keyboard and I'm flying w/o interruptions or waiting for pages to load. Turn on my i7 (4ghz) with win7 and every few hours when I have to surf on it I'm running a cleaner to speed up the internet connection. But that is my master CS6 computer and I now only use it for uploading/downloading massive amounts of data after using CS6.

Old 07-27-2015, 07:52 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
No Flash. Don't have play with settings. FWIW I use both platforms, depending on my needs. But for surfing it's Mac all the way. My iPad and a real keyboard and I'm flying w/o interruptions or waiting for pages to load. Turn on my i7 (4ghz) with win7 and every few hours when I have to surf on it I'm running a cleaner to speed up the internet connection. But that is my master CS6 computer and I now only use it for uploading/downloading massive amounts of data after using CS6.
So you're using an iPad or a mac?

I'm typing this on a mac (not an iPad) and can assure you there is, in fact, flash. There's also plenty of settings in my web browser that I can choose to play with or not. In fact, the settings look exactly like they do on Windows unless I fire up Safari, which has the same settings arranged in a slightly different way.

Old 07-27-2015, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
So you're using an iPad or a mac?

I'm typing this on a mac (not an iPad) and can assure you there is, in fact, flash. There's also plenty of settings in my web browser that I can choose to play with or not. In fact, the settings look exactly like they do on Windows unless I fire up Safari, which has the same settings arranged in a slightly different way.

I have a current Macbook Pro w/Yosemite and a iPad + Windows based PCs with 120/20 internet access. There is a startling difference between surfing on a Mac vs a Win based PC.

Old 07-27-2015, 12:31 PM

15,410 posts, read 25,734,460 times
Quote:
I have a current Macbook Pro w/Yosemite and a iPad + Windows based PCs with 120/20 internet access. There is a startling difference between surfing on a Mac vs a Win based PC.
I'm using a Mac too, and I'm not seeing the difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet