Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2015, 09:27 PM

689 posts, read 2,058,761 times

Advertisements

I'm used to having a few spam emails every day in my Yahoo account but in the last two weeks, I've been getting more than 30 a day. Today so far it's been 42. The system catches them and puts them in the Spam folder but I don't understand why there are so many...maybe I clicked on the wrong thing...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2015, 07:49 AM

10,926 posts, read 22,003,381 times
Simple, your email address has found its way onto more spam mailing lists. It was likely sold as part of a large list.

Old 08-17-2015, 09:59 AM

7,519 posts, read 13,631,320 times
Do these spam emails look similar in style and format ?

Recently I started getting spam that, while they looked like they were from different senders, the style and formats were suspiciously similar (mostly text with colored boxes & borders, no graphics). In checking the message headers, it appears they all originate from the same IP address.

Often I get the same spam twice. It appears I got listed twice in the spammer's list.

So I created a filter in my reader (Thunderbird) to delete any emails from that IP. Haven't seen any since.

Old 08-22-2015, 10:25 AM

689 posts, read 2,058,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
Do these spam emails look similar in style and format ?

Recently I started getting spam that, while they looked like they were from different senders, the style and formats were suspiciously similar (mostly text with colored boxes & borders, no graphics). In checking the message headers, it appears they all originate from the same IP address.

Often I get the same spam twice. It appears I got listed twice in the spammer's list.

So I created a filter in my reader (Thunderbird) to delete any emails from that IP. Haven't seen any since.
OK, so today I decided to sit down and check the IP addresses...but I'm an old broad, with no grandchildren to help. I've "Googled" a bit but still can't figure it out. Can you tell me simply, gently, how to find/recognize the IP address? Thanks.

Old 08-22-2015, 11:07 AM

7,519 posts, read 13,631,320 times
Here is how it works in Thunderbird email reader. Others should be similar. Basically the sender's IP is in the "message header" of the subject email.

First, select a specific email in question. Then in the toolbar, select View, then Headers, select All. You should see the complete header info. Look for the oldest "Received from" entry that shows who sent the email. An IP address should appear in that line, like [149.62.144.137] (which happens to be the latest IP that is spamming me).

Then create a filter with "Received contains [149.62.144" (or what ever you found in your header)
Leave off the last section so the filter catches the whole range of sub-addresses they will use.

Hope this works for you. I seem to have stopped getting spam from the 1st IP range, now getting spam from a second range as above. If you enable Filter Logging, you can see when the filter has worked.

Good Luck..........

Old 08-22-2015, 03:18 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,120,287 times
Inadequate spam filtering is why I switched my everyday email provider from Yahoo to Gmail, early in the 2000s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet