Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2015, 05:36 PM

157 posts, read 213,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhousegirl View Post
Yes!!! It displays this way on ipad. When I tried it on my laptop it doesn't show the super wide borders but has the results in the weird boxes and is somewhat wider.

Google has flipped!! It is SO OBVIOUS that the new changes are geared to favor LARGE advertisers and marketers, just look who/what comes up in the search results.

It is so incredibly visually unappealing and visually jarring that after yesterday's brief experience with it, I thought to myself, "Oh my gosh, I may (for real) no longer be online for hours."

Bingo! Visually jarring! I cannot discern one thread from another. Nothing stands out. It's uniform. And even browsing images is funky. Try swiping on images!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2015, 04:44 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,989,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyMcFamily View Post
That's bizarre. How do I attach a pic on here? It's so bad for me that I switched to Bing. It's THAT bad.
I use photobucket. I upload a photo to it. Once the photo is there, photobucket provides four different ways (4 different URLs to choose) to share the photo. I don't do this often, so I don't remember which one I choose for city-data. But simply click on a URL and it's automatically on your clipboard. Then go back to the post in city-data where you want to insert the photo. Use the "insert image" icon above, paste the URL from your clipboard, and that's it. Preview your post before sending just to make sure all is a-okay.

It's harder to write these instructions than it is to actually do it.

Old 11-08-2015, 05:22 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,989,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhousegirl View Post
Yes!!! It displays this way on ipad. When I tried it on my laptop it doesn't show the super wide borders but has the results in the weird boxes and is somewhat wider.

Google has flipped!! It is SO OBVIOUS that the new changes are geared to favor LARGE advertisers and marketers, just look who/what comes up in the search results.

It is so incredibly visually unappealing and visually jarring that after yesterday's brief experience with it, I thought to myself, "Oh my gosh, I may (for real) no longer be online for hours."
And it's obvious why. Google must walk a tightrope between us the freeloaders who don't pay a dime to use Google and the businesses from whom Google makes its money. Favor one side too much and Google loses its balance and falls, and what Google knows is that the side unfavored won't stick around to mourn - they'll just leave and move on causing more disaster for Google. (Are you paying attention Google? Perception is you're losing your balance.)

I did a simple search using the terms "google search layout" hoping to get a hit that explains Google's line of thinking with the recent change. I got a lot of hits, most of them geared to the businesses who pay Google. They were all about how advertisers and websites should adjust SEO (search engine optimization) with focus being on mobility.

I can't see how the visual change favors either side. So far Google's only comment has been "this week we began rolling out a new tablet Search results page, bringing the best of Google Search to tablets." The best? Really?
Google Launches New Search Results Interface For Tablets

The change is being discussed all over the place now. In the Google Search Help Forum there is a fix described about how to return to a desktop-like layout on a tablet. It's says to tap and hold the refresh button. Tap "request desktop site". I haven't tried it to see if it works.
https://productforums.google.com/for...ch/w1O2OiKsglE

Old 11-08-2015, 11:49 AM

1,946 posts, read 7,375,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post
And it's obvious why. Google must walk a tightrope between us the freeloaders who don't pay a dime to use Google and the businesses from whom Google makes its money. Favor one side too much and Google loses its balance and falls, and what Google knows is that the side unfavored won't stick around to mourn - they'll just leave and move on causing more disaster for Google. (Are you paying attention Google? Perception is you're losing your balance.)

I did a simple search using the terms "google search layout" hoping to get a hit that explains Google's line of thinking with the recent change. I got a lot of hits, most of them geared to the businesses who pay Google. They were all about how advertisers and websites should adjust SEO (search engine optimization) with focus being on mobility.

I can't see how the visual change favors either side. So far Google's only comment has been "this week we began rolling out a new tablet Search results page, bringing the best of Google Search to tablets." The best? Really?
Google Launches New Search Results Interface For Tablets

The change is being discussed all over the place now. In the Google Search Help Forum there is a fix described about how to return to a desktop-like layout on a tablet. It's says to tap and hold the refresh button. Tap "request desktop site". I haven't tried it to see if it works.
https://productforums.google.com/for...ch/w1O2OiKsglE
Thank you for this info. I searched the other day and found nothing current. Will try the fix.

Old 11-08-2015, 12:24 PM

3,166 posts, read 3,360,802 times
I noticed the new layout few days ago on my IPad. It's awful. I did hold down the refresh button and switched to desktop view. It looks a somewhat better

Old 11-08-2015, 02:54 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,846,248 times
Its no surprise it got worse... EVERYTHING IS GETTING WORSE with every so called "update" today and the ppl behind it THINK ITS BETTER... Its really quite scary! (What happend to thier good sense of things?? (They have been so brainwashed to think crap is better thats whats happend))

Old 11-09-2015, 11:47 AM

16,551 posts, read 19,703,819 times
Yea, Dude. That's what it is...Brainwashing.

You sound like my grandfather.
"In my day, we used Windows XP! And we LIKED IT!"

EVERYTHING is getting worse? Really?
Meh...I'll just stop right there.

Old 11-11-2015, 01:52 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,684,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyMcFamily View Post
It's HORRIBLE!!!

The layout is too wide, font too small, and border distracts. The search results are indistinguishable. Is this permanent??
I 've been hoping that they see the error of their ways and change it back. It wasn't broke, so why did they fix it?

Old 11-14-2015, 03:57 AM

12 posts, read 23,920 times
I'm quite upset that Google decided to force their new mobile friendly search page on me. At first I thought I had a bug on my iPad 4. I spent hours looking for an answer before I found that I'm not the only one that has this "new" "improved" version ...... yeah right, in twilight zone maybe. What a joke.

I'm not going to constantly "Request Desktop Version" to bypass Google's poor design choice. I've changed my search engine to DuckDuckGo. I still can't believe Google thought this UI change was fantastic for iPad users.

Old 11-17-2015, 10:05 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,471,110 times
Finally noticed the new Google search layout on my iPad. Eh <shrugs shoulders>, I'm quite indifferent about it. I'm still able to find whatever it is I'm searching for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet