Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2016, 10:45 PM

1,892 posts, read 2,533,143 times

Advertisements

Currently I have all my passwords written down on a single piece of paper, obviously not ideal were something to happen to that piece of paper. What I'm looking for is just a place to store my passwords. I don't need anything that autofills them for me when I visit websites. I plan to use this as a backup to what I have written down, so that if my paper gets lost I have the passwords stored someplace else. What I'm worried about is someone hacking into the password storage and having access to all my passwords. That would be a disaster. I've heard about sites like 1password and Keypass but I still don't know what to use. How are your passwords usually stored? On a server where if a hacker gained access he could compromise your passwords? Anyone have any advice? I've been wanting to do this a long time as I know I'm taking a risk having all my passwords on that one piece of paper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2016, 02:41 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
Being on dozens of sites that require a password i just use the same one for almost everything, However anything to do with banking gets a different password.
For example what would be the danger of some one discovering my CD password? how would they know it was for CD and what would they do with it if they did know.?
If password storage is important to you there are solutions=
https://www.google.ca/#q=Password+storage

Old 03-08-2016, 07:58 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,591,232 times
I put pics into Evernote and those pics remind me of what the password is. A pic of a supernova doesn't mean the password is supernova; it clues me into info only I would know.

I also code my Evernote this way
pw is password clue (pic in .jpg or .png format)
un is username (I hate usernames. Sometimes there's no username, which makes me happy. If there's no username I just write "None")
li is the login method (sometimes it's username, sometimes it's through your associated email, sometimes it's a social login, etc)
em is associated email

I don't know if popular 'password managers' out there allow for all of the above info, so I use Evernote because it's freehand without fields, which allows me to add my own notes. I also like my pic idea.

Old 03-08-2016, 08:03 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,475,528 times
I used to use roboform on a 1yr trial and it works great but I decided to not shell out the $ for it after that. It is $30 It will keep all of you passwords secure AND login to the sites automatically if you want it to.

Try lastpass. It is a password manager and best of all it is free. (They also have a premium version).

https://lastpass.com/

Old 03-08-2016, 08:12 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
I use this on my phone:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...2android&hl=en

I believe there is an Apple one, too.
It's very handy and because of it I have made my passwords REALLY insanely crazy.

I, like you, didn't care about auto filling, but I have been copy pasting when I need to use one on my phone. I store a copy of the database file on DropBox and it synchs with it when I make changes. Totally secure. I could post the database file on here and share it with all of you and you couldn't crack it.

Old 03-08-2016, 11:36 PM

1,892 posts, read 2,533,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Being on dozens of sites that require a password i just use the same one for almost everything, However anything to do with banking gets a different password.
For example what would be the danger of some one discovering my CD password? how would they know it was for CD and what would they do with it if they did know.?
If password storage is important to you there are solutions=
https://www.google.ca/#q=Password+storage
I'm kind of like you in that I use the same passwords and usernames for different sites if they allow me to. The password gets more complex as the site becomes more important. Sites such as CD mean almost nothing to me so my password is just a regular word you can find in the dictionary. The only problem is that certain websites have requirements for their passwords that other websites don't have (ex. number of characters, numbers, symbols, some can't use symbols). I'll read the reviews for password storage. I just was hoping to hear some individual stories here.

Old 03-08-2016, 11:52 PM

89 posts, read 119,850 times
I store mine on usb stick with hints! Like the "usual". I just have a few passwords that I rotate around based on the security level I feel is necessary for the site. My banking more complex. Social media like citydata pretty basic.

Old 03-09-2016, 09:30 AM

3,842 posts, read 8,269,751 times
Store partial passwords with hints in a text file, a database like MS Access, or a spreadsheet like Excel/OpenOffice Calc. Put it on a usb. You can even put a password on MS Access or Excel, but that is kind of weak. Then use something like BitLocker to encrypt the whole thing.

Old 03-09-2016, 02:14 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
Password protected Word file on our server. Two passwords are needed: the server and the file (if you can find it on the server).

In the file I also use hints. "Tree" is one. Good luck figuring out that one! "Monitor" is another. A monitor I haven't had for 10 years or so.

Firefox stores some of the I Don't Care If You Know This One passwords.

Old 03-09-2016, 05:29 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimace8 View Post
I don't know if popular 'password managers' out there allow for all of the above info, so I use Evernote because it's freehand without fields, which allows me to add my own notes. I also like my pic idea.
Keepass has a plethora of options including custom fields, notes and you can even attach files.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet