Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2016, 10:39 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,298,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyl3r View Post
There has been a lot of stuff surfacing recently about FB employees manually suppressing pro-conservative media and selecting pro-liberal media to be "trending." The story going 'round is that the "trending" topics are actually manually selected by FB employees and not trending because of the massive hype around them.

Not really related but interesting nonetheless.
Yup, seeing that in the news is what spurred me to air this semi-related grievance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyl3r View Post
Back to the question at hand, yes it's weird that your almost-employer showed up. I'm more inclined to think it's due to something like same city + works at same place.
Well I do not have my place of work mentioned anywhere on facebook, and my almost-employer is in a different city. I'm telling you, there are no algorithms that could match us up. She popped up precisely a couple days after word of my employment might have made it through the company grapevine. Because last Thursday I mentioned to my new manager that I was briefly affiliated with the company in x city two years ago, and suddenly on Monday my former almost-manager popped up in fb.

Anyway I deleted the facebook app from my phone for now. I'm not worried about it, I'm just genuinely curious how facebook functions and if anyone knows if they may be up to more beyond algorithms & changing our privacy settings without users' consent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2016, 10:55 PM

5,331 posts, read 8,538,811 times
This thread caught my attention because I've been toying with the idea of creating a super stripped down FB account just so I could participate in a couple of FB groups that some of my friends are on. I've never had a FB account.

All these things you are describing here are the exact reason I am super creeped out by FB.

If it was just a simple "have a profile and connect with the friends you choose," I could maybe deal with that. But finding connections to people in these random ways- uhhh.. no, I have no interest in that at all.

I still remember when I got Linked-in requests from an ex-boyfriend just because it mined his email address book and mine was still in there. That creeped me out.

I wonder if FB manages to use IP addresses or anything like that? I have multiple email accounts, but I was thinking that if I used one of them to sign up for FB, it would somehow figure out I had other ones too. It wouldn't surprise me if it did.

I realize I sound like a completely paranoid freak, but I guess when it comes to FB, I am.

Old 05-12-2016, 06:03 AM

1,872 posts, read 3,407,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelpha View Post
Well I do not have my place of work mentioned anywhere on facebook, and my almost-employer is in a different city. I'm telling you, there are no algorithms that could match us up. She popped up precisely a couple days after word of my employment might have made it through the company grapevine. Because last Thursday I mentioned to my new manager that I was briefly affiliated with the company in x city two years ago, and suddenly on Monday my former almost-manager popped up in fb.
I can see two ways right here that FB could have made connections to your info. Not by mining your info, but by mining other people who have lax security settings:

"Word of my employment ... through the company grapevine" - any of those employees might have mentioned your name on FB especially if they do it at work. Your almost-former-manager could have picked it up and commented on it. That, combined with your geographical location could have triggered the connection.

New manager knows someone from briefly-affiliated company, and brings up your name in timeline conversation. ex: Hey, anybody know Zelpha? They used to work at .... and just got hired here"

Also, an even simpler connection would be if you use your primary email address for facebook and someone at the place of work also has it. There is an app in FB that you can select to allow them to rifle through your email. Not you, but someone else may have allowed that from their email, it found your email and *bingo* the connection.

Think "Six degrees of Kevin Bacon"

Last edited by NMNan; 05-12-2016 at 06:23 AM..

Old 05-12-2016, 06:48 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,728,957 times
I do think that it's very possible that people who search your name will pop up in your "suggested friends' List. I have thought this for awhile. I don't think that FB will ever admit it if it's true.

Old 05-12-2016, 08:19 AM

16,541 posts, read 19,672,308 times
I promise you it is not. People REALLY need to not worry about this stuff. Everything FB gleans from you about you is purely done by these algorithms and association.
The reason FB is where they are now is because they do it better then anyone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet