Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2021, 12:55 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,257,507 times

Advertisements

Once you have set up an account, is there a way to check to see exactly what password you are using? I ask because I think I wrote something wrong and I need to fix it. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2021, 01:05 PM

61,729 posts, read 87,147,355 times
Depends, some sites let you see it, some not.
Did you saved it to a "Google" or any other program memory?
Is there an option to reset the password?

Old 02-25-2021, 01:51 PM

7,519 posts, read 13,628,157 times
When you did the first account setup, did your web browser ask if you wanted the password saved in its password file ? If it did, and you clicked yes, then check your browser preferences for a location where it shows you these passwords saved.

In FireFox for Macs, go to Preferences> Privacy& Security>Logins and Passwords>Saved Logins. Once there, you can view & edit saved passwords as needed.

Otherwise you may need to use the account's "Reset Password" process, and create a new password.

Old 02-25-2021, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Depends, some sites let you see it, some not.
Did you saved it to a "Google" or any other program memory?
Is there an option to reset the password?

Thanks, Elnina. I really do not want to change it as I just did that. Trouble is I changed two yesterday and think I mixed them up in my notes.

Well, I'll see what I have to do. If change I must, I will. Hazel

Old 02-28-2021, 01:31 AM

61,729 posts, read 87,147,355 times
Maybe people on Internet Forum can help...

If you changed just two and think you mixed them up - there is a 50/50 chance that you will find out which is which. Two attempts and you will know which will match.

Old 02-28-2021, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Maybe people on Internet Forum can help...

If you changed just two and think you mixed them up - there is a 50/50 chance that you will find out which is which. Two attempts and you will know which will match.

Thank you, elnina. I did find them - and all the rest. Hazel

Old 02-28-2021, 10:51 AM

17,710 posts, read 29,829,274 times
Now you know why you need a password manager.

Old 02-28-2021, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Now you know why you need a password manager.

I had one - me; then "me" got careless by changing passwords without recording them. I have a message for these people who say "never write them down". Ha! Like going to the grocery store without a written list.

Firefox has a system that I understand but not sure about. You can use any password you want but behind the scenes, they give you another password. Not sure it is Firefox doing it or an app elsewhere doing it but my Firefox book tells about it.

Old 02-28-2021, 08:36 PM

666 posts, read 425,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
I had one - me; then me got careless by changing passwords without recording them. I have a message for these people who say never write them down. Ha! Like going to the grocery store without a written list.

Firefox has a system that I understand but not sure about. You can use any password you want but behind the scenes, they give you another password. Not sure it is Firefox doing it or an app elsewhere doing it but my Firefox book tells about it.
They must have forgotten to say the rest of it; never write them down... in such a way that a party other than yourself can easily discern the meaning <i>and derive its association to any account/device.

Password managers can be functionally secure, but unfortunately the way that most people use them means that they end up becoming [attackable] clipboard storage.

Old 03-01-2021, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yelling_at_Birds View Post
They must have forgotten to say the rest of it; never write them down... in such a way that a party other than yourself can easily discern the meaning <i>and derive its association to any account/device.

Can you do an example? I know, for one's own memory's sake, that you have to connect the password to the particular web site name. Isn't that a dead giveaway? Thank
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet