Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2016, 03:50 PM

28 posts, read 36,562 times

Advertisements

I value my anonymity and privacy online pretty heavily ... I have a facebook account, but use a yahoo email that I don't use for anything except signing up for junk, don't use my real name for my FB account, never inputted phone#, etc. I jump on FB one day, and under the 'Friends you May Know', I was shocked to see this girl that I hung out with a few times in the list. We have no common FB friends, she lives about an hour away, and we've only talked/texted. A few days later, I see some of my friends from Japan on there, whom I've only emailed through my gmail account.

There's no way that FB would be able to associate me with these people unless it crawled through my contact info. Like I said I use a nickname on FB that these people wouldn't know, so they didn't search me. I'm very sure that I've never willingly shared this info with FB. This seems like some really sketchy stuff here ... anybody else concerned or have thoughts on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2016, 05:51 PM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
They don't crawl your contacts unless you give them permission to. Fact.

And even if they did... so what? Facebook knows some of your friends. And?

Old 12-17-2016, 10:28 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,841,434 times
Exclamation *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Fitz
... anybody else concerned or have thoughts on this?
Yes which is why we dont use facebook and alot of us dont even have those types of phones!!!

Ya gotta be careful these days......

Old 12-17-2016, 11:12 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,545,426 times
I don't have a FB account, but found this recent article on the topic-

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...n-data-not-now

Old 12-18-2016, 03:51 AM

2,151 posts, read 1,355,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
I don't have a FB account, but found this recent article on the topic-

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...n-data-not-now
Never understood why people agree to provide Facebook with access to this kind of information. You're in full control of your phone.

Old 12-18-2016, 12:10 PM

35,067 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post

It's creepy and leads to friend requests from unknowns.

Old 12-18-2016, 02:55 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,760,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Fitz View Post
I value my anonymity and privacy online pretty heavily ... I have a facebook account, but use a yahoo email that I don't use for anything except signing up for junk, don't use my real name for my FB account, never inputted phone#, etc. I jump on FB one day, and under the 'Friends you May Know', I was shocked to see this girl that I hung out with a few times in the list. We have no common FB friends, she lives about an hour away, and we've only talked/texted. A few days later, I see some of my friends from Japan on there, whom I've only emailed through my gmail account.

There's no way that FB would be able to associate me with these people unless it crawled through my contact info. Like I said I use a nickname on FB that these people wouldn't know, so they didn't search me. I'm very sure that I've never willingly shared this info with FB. This seems like some really sketchy stuff here ... anybody else concerned or have thoughts on this?
FB knows more about you than your friends do. I don't list my full name on my FB either nor put my dob online, but somehow one day I'm searching google on my birthday (I see birthday candles over the google logo) and they knew it from my other accounts that I have entered online, but not social media. I think they use that keystoke logging thing and when I enter if for purchases or any other valid online accounts they steal it.

I won't give Facebook my phone number, but I"m sure they already have it.

Old 12-18-2016, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Unless I agreed to provide FB with any phone/email access by signing up for an account, then I really doubt this fact. I have connected on my phone a couple times, but didn’t download the app or give out phone# or alternate email info willingly. Like I said I feel I’ve been pretty careful about this.

Quote:
Part of me feels that way too … no, I don’t really care a whole lot that FB knows my friends, I’m just some random person so whatever. However, and I might politicize this thread, but it’s the principle that I have a problem with. It’s such a slippery slope when they start getting into data they shouldn’t have any access to. I try to be real careful to protect myself when I’m online, so yeah I’ve got a problem with this huge company crawling me.

Old 12-18-2016, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
FB knows more about you than your friends do.
That quote makes me feel , sad state of affairs!

Old 12-18-2016, 06:39 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,930,229 times
I finally decided to sign up for Facebook a year ago. The people on the list of "suggested friends" really creeped me out. OK, I understand my ex-wife showing up since we have the same last name. But there was a guy on there who I knew 40 years ago when I first arrived in California. I had never emailed him or contacted him, but there he was. Also some other guy, a friend of a friend, who had come sailing with us once. I couldn't figure out how they knew I knew these people, but it creeped me out enough that I immediately closed the account.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet