Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2016, 07:16 AM

3,886 posts, read 3,499,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
Where did you get this nonsense from? Breach of contract is absolutely a violation of law. Civil laws are stil laws.

I should clarify. In the U.S. this would be in violation of civil law. It may not be in your country.
Breach of a contract is a tort that may be handled under prevailing law, but not an illegal act per se, not a misdemeanor or a felony.

If you're an attorney like your handle says, you should know this, and not unnecessarily alarm folks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2016, 07:33 AM

1,950 posts, read 1,128,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
Breach of a contract is a tort that may be handled under prevailing law, but not an illegal act per se, not a misdemeanor or a felony.

If you're an attorney like your handle says, you should know this, and not unnecessarily alarm folks.
There's a reason they call it tort law. One does not need to commit a crime to be in violation of civil law.

Ad blocking is interesting because it's being discussed by academics as we speak.

Old 12-29-2016, 10:47 AM

47 posts, read 44,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
A subset (perhaps large subset) doesn't really care. These people will use ad-blockers even if the terms of service prohibit it. They will pirate content as well. Whatever it takes because it's just so easy. The reality is that this level of low quality people exist.
Wow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
There ya go, blame it on the people blocking ads

You see, such view always come out eventually. I wish people who directly benefit from ads would just come out and say it. They shouldn't equivocate or pretend to be pedantic on the issue.

Because nobody - apart from someone writing a thesis or dissertation - is going to support these forms of advertising unless it provides some benefit to them. And that's ok, just be honest about it.

I don't know of any laws that make adblocking illegal. Laws. Not TOS's, not social contracts, not semantics, not personal biases. Laws.

If there are any, show us, and we can debate their de/merits.

Anyone?

Anyone?

Are ads even legal? Are there laws requiring ads? Or are ads a form of free speech -- like campaign donations?

Old 12-29-2016, 05:22 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,019,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azazello View Post
I don't know of any laws that make adblocking illegal.
Based on copyright law and the DMCA it's illegal to copy commercial DVD's/Blu Ray or even possess the software. Nobody has ever been prosecuted/sued when used for personal use because it's just not worth it for the media companies to worry about it.

Gettin back to ads this is coming to a head and you can expect to see cases heading to court in the future.

Quote:
Laws. Not TOS's, not social contracts, not semantics, not personal biases. Laws.
There is plethora of avenues to go down here. Copyright infringement, theft of services, interference with contracts etc.

Quote:
https://www.wired.com/2016/03/heres-...g-makes-money/

Adblock Plus doesn’t block all ads, but rather operates what it calls an “acceptable ads” program, where ads that meet its criteria for things like placement, size, and distinction, are “whitelisted”—that is, if the company displaying the ads is willing to split the revenue gained by whitelisting with Adblock Plus. Companies can apply to have their sites whitelisted, but Adblock Plus has also reached out to some to solicit their business. Other ad blockers, such as mobile app Crystal, take a similar whitelisting approach.
So in other words they will block ads I have been contracted to display but may show them if I bribe them.

Old 12-30-2016, 06:18 AM

Coalman, you've got to be kidding.

Blocking an ad is a copyright infringement? By NOT seeing something!

Theft of a service by refusing the "service"?

You seem to have some sort of totalitarian vision where things can be forced on us. Notwithstanding current political trends, I don't think we're there yet. Didn't work with DVR skipping commercials, at least not yet. I would hope consumer choice will survive.

Geesh, some folks won't give up.

Old 12-30-2016, 06:44 AM

15,424 posts, read 25,792,502 times
Bribe? How is paying for a service considered a bribe?

Old 12-30-2016, 08:00 AM

What coalman doesn't seem to understand is that ads per se are not the problem. The problem is certain kinds of ads that interfere with our browsing experience, whether by slowing page loading or obtrusively displaying with flashing, blocking content and, worst of all, video ads, which often masquerade as more content.

Some sites have informative, useful ads that unfortunately get blocked, too.

Maybe payment per impression, which leads to pages that are mostly ads, works for advertisers. I dunno. But we're early days in online ads, so maybe companies will wake up, and stop paying.

Old 12-30-2016, 12:04 PM

10,441 posts, read 4,029,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverPlatter View Post
I am. Problem is, I'm having to avoid more and more sites because more are doing this. It's like I'm being boxed in.

Put up only a few ads that don't completely shut the computer down.
I agree with you. I used to love going onto superhero hype, but the past year their ads have made that site absolutely unusable to me, and they have gotten around all of my adblockers somehow.

Old 12-30-2016, 12:08 PM

922 posts, read 790,366 times
While I understand the need to the sites to display advertisements, there are some sites that are difficult for me to browse. I have very slow internet (what I can afford), so it takes awhile for pages to load, especially if there is a lot of graphic content. Some sites only show you a small portion of the content, and then you have to go to the next page to see more. I believe this is only so that they can display more ads on more pages. I don't particularly mind the ads, but it is frustrating to not be able to read a whole article on one page when there is really no reason to split it up other than to show more advertising.

Old 12-30-2016, 12:11 PM

10,441 posts, read 4,029,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
That is correct. I used to have the radio on at home continuously during waking hours. However, as the ratio of music to commercials decreased, I found it to be too much of a distraction, especially if I was trying to study. So now, the radio is off, and no commercials are being heard at home. At work, I try to listen to non-profit stations, two of which I support financially. The local college station has changed format from pop music to something really weird, so we no longer listen to it.

I do not object to internet advertisements, as long as there are no popups, no animation, no auto-play videos, and no sound. I turn off JavaScript for many sites due to boorish behavior. If the site does not load without JavaScript, then no loss, I just don't view it.

The election of Donald Trump over Hillary Clinton, despite Hillary spending twice as much money as Donald, means that the end of constant intrusive commercials is finally in sight. In the New York State primary, Bernie Sanders spent $9 per vote, Hillary spent $3.62 per vote, while The Donald spent $0.13 per vote, and nothing on television ads.

Someone said (source vary) that "half of my advertising dollars are wasted; unfortunately, I don't know which half." Advertisers will be catching on that most of their advertising dollars are wasted today, and will be cutting way back. It will soon be very hard to make a living by selling advertising.
Same here. Not to mention, the radio just keeps playing the same music now all the time, so I just make up my own music. And then the TV. It's becoming now that I'll just wait for a favorite TV show to end it's season and binge watch it on Netflix or just buy the season outright, just to avoid the commercials that take me out of the story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet