Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2016, 09:29 AM

15,395 posts, read 25,638,532 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
No I'm not kidding. Suppose you buy a magazine, you own the magazine and can sell it as is. What you don't own is the content of the magazine. If you were to offer a service to strip out the ads that would be copyright infringement even if you buying one magazine for every one you sold or gave away. Same thing would apply to movies, audio etc. You can't for example offer a service to take a movie and cut out all the profanity and sex scenes.

How this will apply to web pages is not something that has come up in the courts as far as I know but at some point in time a 500 pound gorilla that has the resources for a court case like this will.

You are not refusing the service, you are refusing the ads which I the owner of that content have stipulated as part of the service. You don't get to decide what the service is, I do. If you want to refuse the service that is fine but you will refuse the entire service.

I'm not forcing anything on you. If you do not like what I'm providing to you no one has a gun to your head.

These features do not specifically skip commercials but instead jump ahead 15 or 30 seconds correct?

When you work do you expect to get paid what you want/agreed to? If you offer to dig a hole in my backyard for $25 an hour and then I don't pay you would you be upset? When you are blocking the ads that I have set as the terms and conditions of the service I provide that is what you are doing to me, you are using my services and not paying me for them.
if you don't want people using your services without paying, put up a pay wall. I hate those too, but they are reasonable solutions. Obtrusive ads are not a reasonable solution. Unobtrusive ads are fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2016, 09:59 AM

3,886 posts, read 3,461,239 times
^^ after a career dealing with copyrights and negotiating licenses for such rights, I don't think so. Instead, I know BS when I see it, and know from experience that a BS artist will never yield.

Old 12-31-2016, 11:24 AM

41,815 posts, read 50,783,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Call it whatever you want. It makes the Internet a better place.
That may make sense to you in the short term but if people like me continue to lose money at some point the site that is offering you services at no cost to you because of advertising dollars will no longer exist. Let that sink in because that is what you and others are failing to realize.

Old 12-31-2016, 11:30 AM

Quote:
if you don't want people using your services without paying, put up a pay wall.
It's not your prerogative to dictate how I run my business. If you want to decide how to run a web site go get your own web site and then you get to make those decisions. As I've already mentioned I do not need to put up a pay wall. If I want to serve you ads you will see ads, it's just a matter of whether I want to pull the trigger on that and how far I want to take it. That time is coming soon.

Old 12-31-2016, 01:12 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,491,814 times
Quote:
Call it whatever you want. It makes the Internet a better place.
No, it does not. Why do you think that a website full of malicious crap having the ability to pay off an ad blocker company so you get bombarded with their junk when you open the page is better?

Old 01-02-2017, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
No, it does not. Why do you think that a website full of malicious crap having the ability to pay off an ad blocker company so you get bombarded with their junk when you open the page is better?
I haven't seen any pages like that yet so I can't answer that yet.

Old 01-02-2017, 07:51 AM

Quote:
It's not your prerogative to dictate how I run my business. If you want to decide how to run a web site go get your own web site and then you get to make those decisions. As I've already mentioned I do not need to put up a pay wall. If I want to serve you ads you will see ads, it's just a matter of whether I want to pull the trigger on that and how far I want to take it. That time is coming soon.
I am not dictating anything. I'm suggesting a reasonable solution to the problem. Why is t we can't find a reasonable middle ground that makes everyone happy? We have said repeatedly that unobtrusive ads are okay. Why isn't that enough for you? Why do you defend obtrusive, malicious ads being forced on people?

Old 01-02-2017, 09:39 AM

Quote:
I am not dictating anything. I'm suggesting a reasonable solution to the problem. Why is t we can't find a reasonable middle ground that makes everyone happy? We have said repeatedly that unobtrusive ads are okay. Why isn't that enough for you? Why do you defend obtrusive, malicious ads being forced on people?
The ads on my site are minimal and are reduced the more you use it. The current issue is my ads are being blocked.

Old 01-02-2017, 01:26 PM

Quote:
The ads on my site are minimal and are reduced the more you use it. The current issue is my ads are being blocked.
I don't want to block ads for someone like you, but I can't accept what others are doing.

Old 01-02-2017, 02:51 PM

10,297 posts, read 7,882,664 times
Quote:
And your ads are being blocked for very good reasons. Ads have become a major vector (probably THE major vector) for malware these days. Now I know you're going to swear that there's absolutely zero chance that the ads on YOUR website are going to infect my computer, but why should I (or anyone else) believe you?

My work computer now has both Ad-block Plus and NoScript installed, and they are here to stay. Why? Because a few years ago visiting The Atlantic Monthly's website resulted in a popup auto-downloading malware on my machine which took the IT department at my workplace two days to remove. Since when is the website for a very respectable national magazine an iffy site to visit?

Advertisers sowed the wind, and now they (and those websites financially dependent on ad revenue) are reaping the whirlwind. If your website fails, don't blame ad blockers. Blame the scum who made ad blockers necessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet