Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2016, 09:00 AM

212 posts, read 195,244 times

Advertisements

Hello, folks. Forgive an inept question from someone who doesn't know much about these things, but I was hoping to get some options about a dilemma that I'm having. I rent a room in a large home. The landlord pays for internet and I, as a renter, connect my devices via a WiFi extender. Internet is included in my monthly rent. The trouble is that my landlord frequently has the internet shut off due to non-payment and/or the service always seem to have issues. It is driving me crazy. At this point, I just want to pay for my own service in my own little part of the house and dispense with using my landlord's altogether. Do I have any options?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2016, 09:59 AM

7,517 posts, read 13,621,554 times
The simplest, but possibly most expensive, solution would be to use a smartphone as your personal wifi hotspot.

Most other solutions would need the landlord's approval for you to have a local provider of either DSL, or Cable Modem, service to run a new cable to the house. Satellite provider would also require LL's approval.

A remote possibility would be a WiMax (wireless) provider. Would still need a small antenna attached to the house.
Wireless Internet Residential Service | Rise Broadband is one of the larger providers in the US.

Old 12-20-2016, 10:07 AM

Thank-you for such a quick answer. I have a smart phone with mobile hot spot; however, doesn't it suck up a lot of data? I watch Netflix on a Samsung Smart TV and also have a laptop. I think I'd run out quickly.

Old 12-20-2016, 11:42 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,757,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl Friday View Post
Hello, folks. Forgive an inept question from someone who doesn't know much about these things, but I was hoping to get some options about a dilemma that I'm having. I rent a room in a large home. The landlord pays for internet and I, as a renter, connect my devices via a WiFi extender. Internet is included in my monthly rent. The trouble is that my landlord frequently has the internet shut off due to non-payment and/or the service always seem to have issues. It is driving me crazy. At this point, I just want to pay for my own service in my own little part of the house and dispense with using my landlord's altogether. Do I have any options?
First talk to the LL and tell them to get their S together.

I don't know if you can get an additional account with the same cable company, but you can ask. You may need a separate cable line running into the home. I had a roommate situation for a short while and the LL was a deadbeat who had the service shut off for non payment 3 times in 3 months. There were other issues but I chose to move.

One other lady moved in and she got her own internet and satellite system installed in the house by a different provider. All you need is the LL's permission. She ended up moving out a month or two after I did as did the other roommate and the LL's wife. I think new victims have moved into his nightmare.

Old 12-20-2016, 11:44 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,757,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl Friday View Post
Thank-you for such a quick answer. I have a smart phone with mobile hot spot; however, doesn't it suck up a lot of data? I watch Netflix on a Samsung Smart TV and also have a laptop. I think I'd run out quickly.
Yeah, that stuff runs out quickly. I had to do that because I had to email important documents so I had no choice but to upgrade my phone service while I was there.

Let the LL know you need internet and if he can't pay it you will have to move.

Old 12-20-2016, 02:04 PM

3,886 posts, read 3,504,464 times
If you have a landline, or at least the line installed for the service, you could do DSL without the landlord's permission. But it may not be fast enough, and it won't be cheap.

Old 12-20-2016, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
If you have a landline, or at least the line installed for the service, you could do DSL without the landlord's permission. But it may not be fast enough, and it won't be cheap.
I think this is the route I'm going to have to end up going. BUT with the caveat that my landlord knocks my rent down because I will no longer use the internet and I signed a lease that specifies this is included. My lease comes up for renewal next month, so I'll use it as a bargaining chip. I like to be in control of these sorts of things anyway.

Thanks for advice, y'all! Oh, and on a side note, the internet is now back up and running.

Old 12-21-2016, 10:39 AM

37,465 posts, read 61,388,499 times
You could talk to the LL. Then have the phone company to install a landline dsl connection to your bedroom, they should do the install for free, if you sign a monthly contract for dsl service. Our dsl costs $30/month.

Old 12-21-2016, 08:12 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,076,689 times
If you can constrain yourself to not view videos, you can try wireless data, like T-Mobile, Net-Zero, Freedompop

Old 12-23-2016, 10:45 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
When you connect to the Internet you should see a number of different connections. These will be the neighbors. You could talk to them (Make note of the strongest signal and ask if it theirs) and see if they are willing to let you piggyback. Tell them you will pay them the same amount you're no longer paying the LL because he doesn't provide a consistent connection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet