U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2020, 03:55 PM

1 posts, read 136 times

Advertisements

I use Adblock but some sites I do whitelist temporarily.

I don’t mind seeing a 5-second ad in a video, but when a video pop up ad appears and takes up my whole screen? Nope. Better to have those types of ads disabled to begin with.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2020, 03:48 PM
KCZ

2,773 posts, read 1,591,905 times
Not only should we be allowed to use AdBlockers to keep ads off our computer screens, we should be able to block junk mail from depositing ads in our mailboxes. We pay for the computer and mailboxes, not the companies that are sending us their crappy advertising.

Old 05-15-2020, 10:14 PM

719 posts, read 197,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
Not only should we be allowed to use AdBlockers to keep ads off our computer screens, we should be able to block junk mail from depositing ads in our mailboxes. We pay for the computer and mailboxes, not the companies that are sending us their crappy advertising.
You don't own your mailbox and, as a result, have no control over what goes in there. You're not required to remove mail from there either.

Old 05-15-2020, 10:17 PM

719 posts, read 197,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewackette View Post
Seriously - just how are you going to do that? The only way would be not to run interactive ads at all.
This is not true. Just serve your own ads. The ads that get blocked are served by vendors.

Old 05-16-2020, 12:39 AM

5,475 posts, read 1,721,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
The overlay itself is not created with javascript, it is triggered or hidden with javascript. If you wanted to be a real prick you could have a page that renders with the overlay that requires JS is enabled to close it.
Most overlays are created in javascript... not just triggered by them... at least in this day and age... and dating back to 2012 era, at least. Probably became the norm in 2014 or so.

Old 05-16-2020, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseHugger View Post
Disabling javascript? Don't most sites, including City-Data, use javascript though?
To be fair, most sites aren't using as antiquated technology as CD. A lot of modern sites depend on javascript for a great deal of functionality.

Old 05-16-2020, 12:45 AM

Quote:
It's not "required" but as practical matter most sites are going to need JS enabled, it allows the developer to execute things on your end. As a simple example when you insert a smiley that uses JS. As another example I have an online calculator for fuel comparisons. Current version is really old and requires you to submit and reload the page, the calculations are done server side and it spits out the results. The new version will be updated as you input variables, that can't be done without JS.
Sure it can. It's probably best to use JS, but it's not required.

Old 05-16-2020, 12:48 AM

Quote:
The issue is that adblocker is eating into the revenue of practically any site that relies on advertising which is almost all of them. I understand the complaints about some sites and have the same complaints myself. As this goes on what you will find is more sites pulling the trigger and blocking the adblocker. The success of adblocker will be it's demise.
I actually think it will go the other way. The ad blocker will become unnecessary because ads will improve. They won't be as intrusive and take up a lot of resources like we see today.

That being said, for those who still want to block ads, ad blockers will be readily available.

Old 05-16-2020, 01:30 AM

9,153 posts, read 3,857,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
To be fair, most sites aren't using as antiquated technology as CD. A lot of modern sites depend on javascript for a great deal of functionality.
Thank god for that. Most sites take 10 times longer then CD to load. For the record CD doesn't use Javascript for any of the basic interface. Maybe for some of the extras. But the site works pretty much the same for me with Javascript turned on or off.

Old 05-16-2020, 09:12 AM

41,823 posts, read 44,909,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
Sure it can. It's probably best to use JS, but it's not required.

I'm drawing a blank on you natively and automatically update values on a page based on client side input without using JS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet