U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2017, 01:00 AM

2,923 posts, read 1,271,057 times

Advertisements

For a while, I was able to use AdBlockPlus, installed initially to block FB ads as I was mad at Zuckerberg for screwing Americans for all them foreign H1B visa guys, and wanted to spike his ad revenue. However, I also found that by using AdBlockPlus, the stupid scripts that were annoying me and often causing browsing crashes went away. Also, it even blocked Youtube ads.

Lately though, sites like Forbes, and others, are now demanding that I turn off the AdBlock before I can view the content. However, without that AdBlock, my RAM and resources go THROUGH THE ROOF and cause massive slowdowns on my computer on some of these sites. (Forbes ain't that bad) and Youtube, though it doesn't disable the AdBlock, now seems to pause for a few seconds before playing the videos, as though it's trying to reclaim the ad even if it can't show it.

While sites need their ads, they need to stop using annoying scripts that hog ram and also those stupid videos that play in the background that you have to find to turn off.

The only solution on this that seems to be found is the Brave browser (or the Tor browser, which doesn't get rid of the ads, but does get rid of the tracking scripts, etc, as it's an IP masker), but, other than that, it seems to be a war between AdBlockers and site owners.

What are your thoughts? Crack down on AdBlockers or ease up on them until Flash and other annoying things die out?

(BTW, I AM likely to never visit a site again if it's basically unusable without the AdBlock due to the annoying scripts, etc, that now show up that run RAM almost out so trying to force me to disable it in that case isn't going to get you anymore ad revenue.)

At any rate, I've seen more signs that the Bushiness Guys are cracking down and the era of AdBlockers may be drawing an end.

(Does anyone know any way to get around the tricks, besides turning the thing off, then back on just to get past the blockade? That might also help on sites that hog too much RAM.)

(Youtube also seems to be INCREASING in the number of ads when I turn off AdBlock. I know that in the past, it seemed to be like 10-12 videos per ad, but now it's like 3-5.)

Last edited by MongooseHugger; 01-09-2017 at 01:14 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2017, 01:12 AM

10,313 posts, read 5,527,759 times
Ad content is way out of hand and consumes too much of the computer resources and time. I don't need to see an ad video overlaying the content I'm looking for if a simple sidebar ad box would do just as well and not make me angry. It seems that each browser upgrade is primarily intended to cram more ads on the screen.

Old 01-09-2017, 01:24 AM

This browser here seems to be a balance of sorts in that it:

1.) Automatically blocks the annoying types of ads (Makes users happier)
2.) Doesn't allow AdBlock plugins to be installed and still allows the regular ad types (Makes site owners happier)

I admit, it seems to use more RAM (in general) than Chrome but less than Firefox and is similar in speed to Chrome.

Also, on Chrome and other browsers, I think that the AdBlockers themselves are causing RAM to go higher than it normally would on sites. (Massive ad-bloated sites excepted) Since Brave has a built in ad-blocker, that may also explain the increase in RAM.

Old 01-09-2017, 01:30 AM

6,325 posts, read 2,528,586 times
Have it both ways -- get mostly ad-free pages without triggering ad-blocker blockers by disabling javascript. If there's some web page where you absolutely need javascript, you can whitelist that page.

Old 01-09-2017, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
Have it both ways -- get mostly ad-free pages without triggering ad-blocker blockers by disabling javascript. If there's some web page where you absolutely need javascript, you can whitelist that page.
Disabling javascript? Don't most sites, including City-Data, use javascript though?

Old 01-09-2017, 06:48 AM

9,284 posts, read 7,790,449 times
most sites do require javascript. The most annoying type of ads are the javascript overlays that take up the entire screen while you're reading, typically asking for an email address. Some sites you can disable javascript, others the site stops working. Until they get rid of popup overlays I don't random browse much anymore and usually just blacklist any site that uses popup overlays using Umatrix, an extension for chrome and firefox. It's my way of expressing dissatisfaction with their use since I never, EVER plan to give my email address to be signed up for anything unless I use the site a lot, then I'll create an "account" and log in. It's like being harassed by the telemarketers that used to call on landlines, lol. Do they really get that much revenue from email lists to bug people with these things? They must.

Old 01-09-2017, 08:30 AM

10,812 posts, read 19,114,305 times
We just did this The attack on ad blockers.

Old 01-09-2017, 11:32 AM

6,325 posts, read 2,528,586 times
I don't know that any sites "require" javascript so much as they implement it, some extensively, some not. Fact is you can access a site that blocks adblockers and still get a mostly ad-free experience by whitelisting them on adblock and then blacklisting them on javascript. There may be some features you can't use but you'll typically still get the main content.

Old 01-09-2017, 01:34 PM

26,154 posts, read 16,840,314 times
Quote:
Should adblockers continue to exist undeterred?
Indeed they should!!

Spam ads are way outta control......

Old 01-09-2017, 04:27 PM

41,823 posts, read 44,863,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseHugger View Post
Disabling javascript? Don't most sites, including City-Data, use javascript though?
It's not "required" but as practical matter most sites are going to need JS enabled, it allows the developer to execute things on your end. As a simple example when you insert a smiley that uses JS. As another example I have an online calculator for fuel comparisons. Current version is really old and requires you to submit and reload the page, the calculations are done server side and it spits out the results. The new version will be updated as you input variables, that can't be done without JS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet