Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 10:22 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,485,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuCullin View Post
Morality <> Legality.

Bullying? Not illegal.

Harassment - legal, same recourse as is already on the law books.

Death and damage to property? Its the internet ffs.
Then I have to wonder why the FBI and those who specialize in web forensics advise online posters to exercise extreme caution.
-What goes on on the internet can/does invade real life.
-You can 'TELL' me differently until the cows come home if you like.
Off to reread FAQ's on posting guidelines. Few in these forums use obscenities in any form. Maybe some have 'special' priveleges.

cough--thick as a brick

Last edited by TakeAhike; 03-18-2008 at 10:35 AM..

Old 03-18-2008, 12:05 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
Most websites are doing this now anyway. They certainly do not condone people who go to their owned website to just start trouble by being unknown.Anuone that wants to find out can now anyway.

Old 03-18-2008, 01:50 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,485,663 times
One forum admin uses a 'Lone Ranger' icon and you would be a fool to think you coud outsmart him. I think he had some specialized training in the military.

If that is what it takes then that is what it takes.

Old 03-19-2008, 08:19 AM

2,736 posts, read 9,670,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
Then I have to wonder why the FBI and those who specialize in web forensics advise online posters to exercise extreme caution.
Posting your home address and telephone number on the internet is just as incredibly stupid as handing out flyers in NYC with your address and number.

So... what you're saying is, banning anonymity prevents stupidity?

Quote:
Off to reread FAQ's on posting guidelines. Few in these forums use obscenities in any form. Maybe some have 'special' priveleges.
LOL

I get it now. See, you disagree with me, so you want to somehow attack me by way of forum mods. Hit the report button on the offending post, this sends a message to the moderators of the forum with whatever wording you would like put in. The reporting button is that little triangle on top. Feel free.

Now, what this tells me is that people have disagreed with you on the internet in some forum, and you want to know who they are so *you* can harass them somehow.

Quote:
cough--thick as a brick
It would seem you are, yes.

Old 03-19-2008, 03:55 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,292,628 times
I have signed up on several web sites including this 1...yes I reg with my 'Real' information....so whats the deal here??

Old 03-19-2008, 06:45 PM

2,736 posts, read 9,670,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
I have signed up on several web sites including this 1...yes I reg with my 'Real' information....so whats the deal here??
Much like any time you give your personal information away, you run the risk of others using your personal information for nefarious purposes.

The bill being discussed intends to make anonymous posting on the internet illegal (which is quite literally impossible it enforce).

Old 03-19-2008, 07:11 PM

1,809 posts, read 3,191,424 times
It's all pretty pointless without a way to authenticate the information a person registers with is accurate.

People take the internet way too seriously and expect the government to regulate it because people get their feelings hurt.

Old 03-20-2008, 11:41 AM

1,368 posts, read 6,504,416 times
Before I go into my list of rebuttals, let me just say wow. The main piece of this thread is just ridiculous.

Takeahike, please look at what you've posted, and verify if it makes sense. Because, most of what you've posted is fairly incoherent.

Quote:
In 'That' forum, which shall remain anonymous, posters seemed to have the emotional maturity/morality of incorrigible middle school students. As a middle school teacher I don't really enjoy adults with that sort of 'Humor'.
Unlike a classroom, where you have to take things like that seriously, because of the fact that we're forced to be there, and that steps have to be taken for that because we're REQUIRED to be in Middle school...

you are NOT forced to be a part of a forum. You are NOT forced to read the posts on that forum. Thus, you CAN NOT force someone to post in a certain way on a forum. If you don't like it, you can leave.

In the same way, you cannot force someone to post using real credentials. Theres no basis for it. Why? So you can track them down for cyber harrassment on a forum? Oh, well... here's the solution. You can a) take it to the moderators, who will hopefully take action. if they don't, you can then b) leave the forum.

In a classroom, you have the option of a) taking it to the teacher, and then b) well, you can't leave. So, thats where it becomes important that you know who's causing the problems.

Quote:
You have convinced me--I will vote for my tax dollars to go to law enforcement and to build more prisons.
Go CuCullin!
Yeah! One good thought! Because our prisons ARE overcrowded, and we DO need the extra space.

[quote=TakeAhike;3161661]
You can talk about defining your own 'morality' as long as you want and it comes back to living in a nation of laws. quote]

What does living in a nation of laws have to do with the WORLD WIDE WEB?

It is an international system, that for the most part you won't know if the person on the other side is posting 20 feet away, or 20000 miles away.

Quote:
11thhour said

<In the end, it's a ridiculous idea. What makes the internet such a useful and powerful tool is its ability stimulate the sharing of ideas and information, whether you agree with them or not. To stifle those, which this bill would ultimately do, is like neutering the internet. No thanks, I don't need the gov't to babysit me and decide what's best for me. >

I agree.

CuCullin does not approve of my previous remarks but I will ask again.

When the 'Sharing of ideas and information' results in bullying, harassment, death or damage to property what can be done?

Of course, individuals must protect themselves.

I no longer feel that I can freely discuss relocation in my local forums. Nor do I feel safe expressing an opinion on most other topics.

I don't want the government to monitor my life but I would like to know that there are consequences for those who abuse the internet.
Yeah, people need to protect themselves. Protecting yourself is about NOT giving personal information, and safeguarding those things.

You say you want to be secure, but then you say that you want the government to regulate who uses the internet.

And heres the thing... the people who are out there to cause trouble, to steal identies and cause mayhem are generally the people with the skills to avoid posting their personal information. As a matter of fact, they may steal YOUR information and post, and cause you a bunch of problems.

Quote:

cough--thick as a brick
Yeah, they advise people to exercise extreme caution. BECAUSE THEY CAN'T REGULATE THE WEB! Not only that, the cyber terror laws, and such don't protect you from forums, etc. They are designed to protect you from people planting viruses, taking down websites and stealing credit card and personal information.

That poster, for instance, CuCillun if he was abusive and rude... your ONLY recourse is to talk to the moderators of the forum. Or you can leave the forum. Think of the forum as a public park, where people can come and go as they wish. Because of this, you can't regulate what someone says. Freedom of speech and all that.

[quote=Brill;3193536]It's all pretty pointless without a way to authenticate the information a person registers with is accurate.

People take the internet way too seriously and expect the government to regulate it because people get their feelings hurt.[/quote]

QFT.

Old 03-21-2008, 04:02 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,727,879 times
This is getting dangerously off topic and my mod senses tell me there are flames on the way.
Thread closed.
Yac.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet