Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2017, 06:21 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,075,211 times

Advertisements

My very large sub division has Comcast, Frontier FIOS, DISH, DIRECTV. Frontier will not split their bundles but many people using a sat for TV use Comcast internet service. But when using only internet service the cost is almost the same as if you also had TV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2017, 08:11 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
My very large sub division has Comcast, Frontier FIOS, DISH, DIRECTV. Frontier will not split their bundles but many people using a sat for TV use Comcast internet service. But when using only internet service the cost is almost the same as if you also had TV.
I think Frontier may be available here. Looks like I'm stuck with Comcast though--had them where I just moved from and hated them. I could just get internet from them but it's a few dollars cheaper to get the basic cable with it. So I would pay more to just get internet. Okay, well, I tried. I will threaten to leave--it's the same old game. Will threaten to go without anything. They're the only game in town, unfortunately. A monopoly.

Old 12-27-2017, 08:50 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,741,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I think Frontier may be available here. Looks like I'm stuck with Comcast though--had them where I just moved from and hated them. I could just get internet from them but it's a few dollars cheaper to get the basic cable with it. So I would pay more to just get internet. Okay, well, I tried. I will threaten to leave--it's the same old game. Will threaten to go without anything. They're the only game in town, unfortunately. A monopoly.
There's a basic Comcast plan that has very channels and high speed internet at 100+ Mbps for around $140 including taxes. You can make it less by not renting the cable box and the modem.

Old 12-27-2017, 09:03 PM

16,546 posts, read 19,689,232 times
You're problem is you feel you still need this landline. Internet only is cheaper then any bundle. But you have to have the landline. This is how they get you. A 2 piece bundle (internet and phone) is going to be cheaper. Even though your phone runs over the internet. You're paying more for nothing really.
Tell Comcast you want internet only. That will be around $65. Then get Ooma for your phone. That's $100 one time and the you pay tax only every month. A friend doing this pays less then $5 in tax a month.

Old 12-28-2017, 02:56 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
You're problem is you feel you still need this landline. Internet only is cheaper then any bundle. But you have to have the landline. This is how they get you. A 2 piece bundle (internet and phone) is going to be cheaper. Even though your phone runs over the internet. You're paying more for nothing really.
Tell Comcast you want internet only. That will be around $65. Then get Ooma for your phone. That's $100 one time and the you pay tax only every month. A friend doing this pays less then $5 in tax a month.
We are investigating dropping the Comcast landline. It doesn't work anyway and I have to call Comcast on my cell phone to tell them the landline isn't working.

We'll probably keep the Comcast internet (it's cheaper if we get cable bundled with it even though we don't want tv.) Ooma? Never heard of that. We are going to see about Verizon for the landline. They sell you some "device" that you plug in? And then you have the landline but it works through wireless for $20/month plus whatever. It's confusing.

We have our own modem but Comcast made us rent one from them when we decided we wanted to add a landline--this was when we thought this apartment complex only allowed Comcast. We've only lived here a few months--I called management and we can have Verizon but they don't have internet. Well, probably DSL.
I don't think this place is wired for Verizon FIOS. If we drop the Comcast landline, we won't have to rent a modem from Comcast. We can use our own modem that we already have!

Old 01-03-2018, 07:01 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,551,696 times
Quote:
We'll probably keep the Comcast internet (it's cheaper if we get cable bundled with it even though we don't want tv.) Ooma? Never heard of that. We are going to see about Verizon for the landline. They sell you some "device" that you plug in? And then you have the landline but it works through wireless for $20/month plus whatever. It's confusing.
Verizon normally sells a fixed cell phone service. Verizon does not, AFAIK, sell a service that works via WiFi and Internet.

Ooma is device that allows you to connect your existing phones to a service over the internet. They range from Google Voice which is free to more expensive services.

Many people now regard their cell phones as their primary service. They just use Google Voice and Ooma to give them a backup at home. It is probably not a good idea to have a "free service" as your primary means of communication. If it goes down in an emergency, then you can't complain to anyone.

People are now buying internet from their cable companies to save money on TV and on equipment rental. You can buy a 37 channel entertainment only (no sports, little news) streaming service for $16 a month.
https://try.philo.com/?gclid=CjwKCAi...BoCr4oQAvD_BwE

Old 01-03-2018, 01:49 PM

21,865 posts, read 25,129,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
My AT&T DSL is 12 Mbps. It is fine for web surfing, but for watching HD movie, it is slow. To put things in perspective: broadband speed is defined by the FCC at 25 Mbps.

To the OP: Verizon is offering a great deal to new customers with a Fios 100/100 Mbps internet only plan for one year at $39.99 a month. My location is not in their service area though.
12 Mbps is fine for watching HD movies. Most recommend 4-5 Mbps for HD streaming. I have 40 Mbps DSL. Quite frequently I can't even load a web page and streaming even at the lowest 144p/240p resolutions is absolutely out of the question. That's the problem with "up to." Depending how much they've oversold their bandwidth, you'll get nothing of the sort. Usually I can reasonably slow speeds (5-10 down, 1-2 up) during the day but they've oversold so much at least a couple times a week during the evenings I just hotspot off my cell phone. There's AT&T and Comcast here and until someone else comes into the area I doubt that will change. Neither is losing any customers. AT&T you get dialup speeds, Comcast it just goes down. Which one would you like?

Old 01-04-2018, 08:19 AM

16,546 posts, read 19,689,232 times
Quote:
Ooma? Never heard of that.
Google it???

Here:
https://www.ooma.com/telo/

Review:
https://www.cnet.com/products/ooma-telo/

Old 01-04-2018, 08:25 AM

50,263 posts, read 47,023,439 times
I have ATT cell service with unlimited data and use it as a modem. It works for everything I need it for. I can watch movies etc on my lap top through it.

Old 01-04-2018, 08:53 AM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
It says:
"Ooma is a full router capable of prioritizing voice data and directing traffic to ensure the most reliable phone service."

So I guess you plug it into your phone landline and it serves as a modem/router.

I do not see it getting any faster speeds, a router can't out-run the landline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet