Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2018, 04:56 AM

26 posts, read 17,179 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My friend recently came to me asking about the problem over Facebook. Someone is impersonating her on Facebook and have her real information on it with her real pictures. She is way too worried about that because the profile had illicit material as well, not related to her. Learned on the web that it actually counts in Doxxing but not detailed information on the matter. I couldn't help her much because I had no idea, told her to contact Facebook support.

Being a writer, it got my attention though. So, my questions are: Do you know about Doxxing? Have you or your friends or family experienced it before? What did you do to prevent it? Know any stories of someone?

Moreover, is Doxing term limited to online or you get to see it in real life? i.e. People defaming others with false information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2018, 09:07 PM

16,450 posts, read 19,466,184 times
Doxxing isn't really impersonating someone. That's just straight up identity theft. DOXXING stems from the word DOCUMENT. Documenting everything you can about a person. Basically finding out the real identity of someone and then publishing that information for everyone to see. It usually happens to people that are rude or just plain mean online. Racists. People who make dumb comments. Then people start finding out whatever they can about you and publishing it. Happens sometimes on Reddit.

This says is better then I can:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doxing

Old 02-28-2018, 08:45 AM

Shouldn't identity theft be a part of doxxing? Because they are documenting someone and then just impersonate them or post pictures and information of them?

Old 02-28-2018, 10:28 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,228,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KateBrooks View Post
Shouldn't identity theft be a part of doxxing? Because they are documenting someone and then just impersonate them or post pictures and information of them?
Identity theft: Deliberate use of someone else's identity

Doxxing: Revealing someone's phone number, address, work history, etc. (usually as an act of revenge)

I see them as two separate things, think of doxxing as internet vigilantism.

Old 03-01-2018, 08:18 AM

16,450 posts, read 19,466,184 times
Doxxing was a thing before the internet, too. We just didn't call it that. The 'kids today' came up with that name.
An early pre-internet doxxing example:

1996: Neal Horsley published the Nuremberg Files containing the personal information of abortion clinic doctors and nurses.

Old 03-02-2018, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Identity theft: Deliberate use of someone else's identity

Doxxing: Revealing someone's phone number, address, work history, etc. (usually as an act of revenge)

I see them as two separate things, think of doxxing as internet vigilantism.

It's not just an act of disclosing nowadays, taking a revenge has taken a step further I would say. Disclosing + fake stories.

Fake story depicted by someone of his girlfriend lead to losing her career: https://www.purevpn.com/blog/what-is-doxxing-scty/

This is the extreme level (NSFW); https://www.vox.com/first-person/201...ing-craigslist

Old 06-02-2018, 05:43 PM

16,200 posts, read 22,928,658 times
Doxxing is real bad and evil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet