Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2018, 06:56 AM

16,501 posts, read 19,575,896 times

Advertisements

Again... who cares...
Good friend in the hospital right now fighting for his life. If he doesn't make it... I doubt he is going to care if Facebook knows he likes Polkas.
People make to much out of this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2018, 07:31 AM

3,886 posts, read 3,481,617 times
^ +1

And facebook should be the least of our worries. Think data aggregators who sell our purchasing history.

Old 03-21-2018, 08:40 PM

972 posts, read 538,435 times
I deleted my Facebook account a few years ago, because I hardly ever used it and considered it a risk for identity theft. Their privacy settings aren't an obstacle to a serious hacker.

Old 03-23-2018, 07:49 AM

And if you're really concerned about privacy... do you know how much I can find out about you... by your post history on City-Data?

BTW, my friend in the hospital is improving.

Old 03-23-2018, 07:57 AM

And if you're really, really concerned about privacy, start using cash. Ditch your credit cards, because the data from every purcyhase you make by card is recorded and sold. That's my biggest worry. Think about how much can be learned from where you shop, what you buy and how much you pay. Then think about Amazon, where every product search is added to your profile....

Old 03-23-2018, 08:21 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,223,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
And if you're really concerned about privacy... do you know how much I can find out about you... by your post history on City-Data?

BTW, my friend in the hospital is improving.
Most people here can be found online yet they think they are anonymous.

Old 03-25-2018, 08:24 PM

61,428 posts, read 86,506,480 times
I think some (smart?) people are leaving Facebook as a consequence of massive commercial data surveillance.
They discovered that the idea of social network wasn't worth It.
But Facebook makes it hard for users to delete their accounts, instead pushing them towards “deactivation”, which leaves all personal data on the company’s servers.
https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...idge-analytica

Learn how to delete:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cne...e-and-for-all/

If you decide that you can't live without Facebook, you should at least follow this advice.
How to use Facebook while giving it the minimum amount of personal data:
https://www.theverge.com/2018/3/20/1...trump-campaign

Old 03-26-2018, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I think some (smart?) people are leaving Facebook as a consequence of massive commercial data surveillance.
They discovered that the idea of social network wasn't worth It.
Ironic then, that ignoring Facebook does nothing to avoid "massive commercial data surveillance." Commercial data will live on, because certain companies that are unavoidable traffic in everything we do, financial and otherwise. Using our social media behaviours in a meaningful way is still more hypothetical than real, but does generate great news headlines driving more traffic to those news sites, and even more ad $. The circle continues.

Conspiracy theory of the day: Would not be surprised if some Facebook competitors are behind the drive against Facebook. Our economy works in mysterious ways, and most any news these days has an angle, as we've learned.

Old 03-26-2018, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Dumb people too.

Old 03-26-2018, 01:59 PM

5,920 posts, read 6,433,250 times
I think it would be the greatest thing for Facebook to shut its doors. The only time I would disagree with that statement is with my wife doing Pampered Chef using Facebook. But other than that, I think Facebook has done more harm than good for people. The worst thing it ever did was lift the character limit on posts. Political posts, anti this post, anti that post, memes, etc....

I spend more time on YouTube than I do Facebook.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet