Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2018, 09:26 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,474,087 times

Advertisements

Would love to hear from fellow YouTubers who may frequent the board. How long have you been a content creator? What is your channel about? What do you think about the new monetization policy that YouTube is instituting, and are you even big enough to make money on YouTube?

I just started my channel back in January. In fact, my very first upload was January 1st, 2018! I've put out about 10 videos so far, and the quality is slowly improving with each video I put out. I didn't realize how much of a country hick I sounded like until I watch myself on video, and I had to chuckle! I also realize that I am no good without a script!

That being said, my channel is based more on sleep disorders - namely sleep apnea. So, it's not going to be the most exciting content, but I do try to add a little humor into it to make the videos less, well, dry. I have to admit, the first thought of doing a channel was to make some money that I could put toward a particular jaw surgery that I want to have that would hopefully "fix" my issues with sleep apnea. This jaw surgery is almost impossible to get insurance to pay for. However, as my timing is always impeccable, I decided to do this channel right when YouTube decided to change their monetization policy, lol! So, I'm doing YouTube as a hobby right now. Hopefully, I'm using this time to improve the content, get better at video editing, and eventually build up enough of a following to make it a worthwhile hobby. I'm also thinking of creating a separate comedy channel, because I have some great ideas for some funny videos, and I want to keep my main channel dedicated to that one niche subject.

Anyway, would love to hear from other fellow YouTubers. One of the channels I subscribe to is a local guy that does a channel on car reviews. I've been following his channel for a couple years now, and he seems like a great guy. I'm hoping that once my channel (which ever one) gets big enough, that he may want to collaborate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2018, 05:45 AM

26 posts, read 17,321 times
I have a question. When channel owners monetize their video content on YouTube. Do they opt to select which ads would show or YouTube select the ads automatically?

Old 02-26-2018, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KateBrooks View Post
I have a question. When channel owners monetize their video content on YouTube. Do they opt to select which ads would show or YouTube select the ads automatically?
They have the ability to select if the ad can be skipped or not and the placement of the ads within their videos. For instance, if the video is 10 minutes or longer, they can place an ad in the middle of the video as well as at the beginning. If it's shorter then 10 minutes, they can only have one ad. However, I do not believe they have the ability to actually choose the content of the ad. That is one thing I did complain about before. If I am showing a YouTube video to my 3 year old son, let's say it's Peppa Pig. The video ad that pops up during that video might be an advertisement to the new horror film coming out, and of course, I don't want my son watching anything remotely scary on TV. I remember having this conversation on here before in another thread, but it's not about having to view ads as much as the ads not being in line with the content of the video. For example, if a kid is watching some kids' show on TV, the commercials will be targeted toward children more times than not.

But anyway, sorry to derail the answer. Short answer, no.

Old 02-26-2018, 07:52 AM

16,551 posts, read 19,713,440 times
I hate the term "content creators" first of all. lol
Or even worse "a creative". I'm a creative! Oy.

Anyway, I have a few videos up but not at all trying to make money. My best video has about 10k views.
It's hard to make decent money. Unless you have a niche product or your 22 and reckless. LOL
You might be on to something. I imagine apnea videos aren't all that numerous.

Share one here, man. We will all click on your ads. hahahaha

Old 02-26-2018, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I hate the term "content creators" first of all. lol
Or even worse "a creative". I'm a creative! Oy.

Anyway, I have a few videos up but not at all trying to make money. My best video has about 10k views.
It's hard to make decent money. Unless you have a niche product or your 22 and reckless. LOL
You might be on to something. I imagine apnea videos aren't all that numerous.

Share one here, man. We will all click on your ads. hahahaha
No problem! enjoy!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StcM1CqFh-o&t=32s

It's still a work in progress - me being behind the camera that is! I'm not making any money off of it, but I just love the whole process of creating videos and editing - the whole 9 yards! I figured I'll get better at it someday as I sharpen my skills. I didn't want to do anything tech related, because, I always feel there are better people out there who can explain things better than I can. Yeah, the sleep apnea thing isn't the greatest subject, and I've got a couple other videos in the can that expand out into bettering oneself, but I haven't finished the editing on those. I also can't get over how country "hick" I sound in these videos! I figured if anything, people will get a good laugh from some of these videos. I've got a second channel that I will probably wind up doing some funny stuff on, I just haven't came up with anything worthy of that channel yet, lol!

Old 02-26-2018, 01:56 PM

You don't have any ads TO click on!?!?

Old 02-27-2018, 07:14 AM

Love the car in the background. LOL

You need to keep your script under or above the camera.

Old 02-27-2018, 09:09 AM

Quote:
You don't have any ads TO click on!?!?
I can't get monetized. I have to have 1,000 subscribers and 4,000 watch hours before I can qualify to start placing ads on my videos. That is the new YouTube monetization policy that went into affect 7 days ago.

Old 02-27-2018, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Love the car in the background. LOL

You need to keep your script under or above the camera.
LOL! My Accord? LOL! Been wanting to trade it off for a Mustang, but I have to wait on that until we buy another house.

Yeah, that "What Is Sleep Apnea" video was the first time I actually had a typed out script that was more than just bullet points. I tried to be slick about looking off to the side to see the script, but apparently not slick enough, lol! I've tested out a teleprompter app for the iPad, but it seems to get hung up when saving a video longer than a minute, otherwise, it's a great idea. It shoots the video and has the words up on the screen right next to the camera, so it looks like you're looking into the camera while focusing in on the script. I'm only using the free version, so that might be the reason why the videos aren't saving right, but I wanted to fully test it out before I paid any money for the app.

It's fun doing these videos, especially doing the editing. I'm kind of cutting my teeth on the boring subject matter until I get more comfortable being in front of the camera and when I get some better equipment to do better videos with. Right now, I'm not interested in spending a boat load of money until I know I have content that people will want to tune in for. I do wished I had started this about a year ago. I hate that I started right when they changed the policy, but I approach this as a straight up hobby and when I get better at it, I can focus more on making some money on the side.

Old 02-27-2018, 07:47 PM

CAT...not car. LOL

Here's my most watched video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LJXYB4oDq4
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet