Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2018, 12:40 PM

450 posts, read 600,341 times

Advertisements

I use an ipad for just about everything. I had all my settings tuned so I didn't get bothered by ads, scammers and spam. Yesterday I let it update to Ios 11.3 to stop the nag screen. Last evening I started getting a bunch of ads that seemed to be following me around. Going through my settings I discovered that the "Prevent cross site tracking" button was greyed out. Couldn't turn it back on. After contacting Apple, who at first said that couldn't be happening, we discovered that AT&T had made a "business decision" to disable that setting to help their "partners" deliver targeted ads to me. As of now it seems to only affect AT&T customers.
Rather angry about my loss of privacy I contacted AT&T who said it was a business decision and it couldn't be turned back on. I asked just whose phone/ipad it was and why did AT&T think they had the right to change my settings to suit themselves. My question was answered with total silence. They hung up. Trying to call back revealed that they had blocked my phone number.
This is disturbing and I just hope others who are having this situation will also make their displeasure known.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2018, 05:08 PM

3,886 posts, read 3,522,675 times
How can ATT change your OS settings? Sounds like an apple issue too

Old 04-11-2018, 07:24 PM

5,336 posts, read 8,565,618 times
Cliqz has an app for IOS - might be an option (not sure how it will work with the ATT thing you mentioned though)

https://cliqz.com/en/mobile

Old 04-12-2018, 12:44 AM

911 posts, read 263,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worren
I use an ipad for just about everything. I had all my settings tuned so I didn't get bothered by ads, scammers and spam. Yesterday I let it update to Ios 11.3 to stop the nag screen. Last evening I started getting a bunch of ads that seemed to be following me around. Going through my settings I discovered that the "Prevent cross site tracking" button was greyed out. Couldn't turn it back on. After contacting Apple, who at first said that couldn't be happening, we discovered that AT&T had made a "business decision" to disable that setting to help their "partners" deliver targeted ads to me. As of now it seems to only affect AT&T customers.
Anyway of taking that update off your ipad?? (maybe going back to the other one will let you disable that again)

Good luck!!

Old 04-12-2018, 05:25 AM

450 posts, read 600,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
How can ATT change your OS settings? Sounds like an apple issue too
Still investigating this but it indeed looks like you're right. The disabling of the item mentioned seems to be indeed done by AT&T but it seems likely Apple may have a hand in it also.
I am continuing exploring removal of this update.
I have seen very few people besides myself having an issue with this. If we let stuff like this go unchallenged it is possible that in this lifetime we will have no privacy at all. I don't want to be tracked by my Isp's "partners" so they can pawn my information. I don't want targeted ads. I don't want phone calls trying to get my money. And above all I don't want political candidates using robo calls to influence my voting choices. Anybody agreeing with this should speak up and add your two cents to this post.

Old 04-12-2018, 07:52 AM

16,561 posts, read 19,772,042 times
While I agree that's BS, ATT did not block your number. That's ludicrous.

You probably have a data plan on your iPad from ATT I assume?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet