Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 09:44 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,053,649 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I have a nice new monitor. one of the wide screen monitors.

Problem is it stretches everything sideways to fit the available space and I can't figure out how to change the settings to keep the height/width proportions from being distrorted. I've seen wide monitors in the store with a sidebar at the right which uses the extra space, but don't see a way to create that on my XP machine.

Anyone know how I can do this?

Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2008, 09:59 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,755,487 times
How much sidebar do you need? You can "grab" the bottom task bar in Windows by using your mouse, and then drag it over to the side of the screen. You can also make that bar wider by grabbing and dragging the edge with your mouse cursor. You can also change the properties to use large icons on the bar instead of small ones, and make the bar "bigger" that way.

Old 03-26-2008, 12:43 PM

1,368 posts, read 6,504,086 times
What height/width proportions are distorted?

It may be that your resolution is still set for a normal monitor? But my widescreen laptop doesn't have any problems showing webpages normally.

Right click your desktop > Properties > Settings and make sure the screen resolution is at the best setting for your monitor/eye comfort. You can click apply, and it will reset in 15 seconds if it can't display it. As long as you don't touch anything.

So, change your resolution. Select apply, and wait. If nothing shows up, it generally means its out of range.

Old 03-01-2011, 03:28 PM
wrp

9 posts, read 51,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
Hi,
I have a nice new monitor. one of the wide screen monitors.

Problem is it stretches everything sideways to fit the available space and I can't figure out how to change the settings to keep the height/width proportions from being distrorted. I've seen wide monitors in the store with a sidebar at the right which uses the extra space, but don't see a way to create that on my XP machine.

Anyone know how I can do this?

Steve
Steve,
Did you ever get that problem sorted out? I am facing the exact issues on both desktop and laptop widescreen monitors. The answers posted here don't seem to quite hit on the solution to this problem. Love to learn what you have found out. Thanks!

Old 03-01-2011, 03:50 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,053,649 times
No, never did. Just got used to it.

Now I only use a laptop so I don't have the same issue anymore.

Steve

Old 03-01-2011, 05:32 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,992,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrp View Post
Steve,
Did you ever get that problem sorted out? I am facing the exact issues on both desktop and laptop widescreen monitors. The answers posted here don't seem to quite hit on the solution to this problem. Love to learn what you have found out. Thanks!
The problem likely is that the screen resolution is not set properly. LCD monitors, unlike the old CRT's, are designed to be used at the resolution they were designed for. Look at the LCD specs, find the resolution, and set your OS to match it.

Old 03-02-2011, 12:38 AM

3,683 posts, read 9,860,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
The problem likely is that the screen resolution is not set properly. LCD monitors, unlike the old CRT's, are designed to be used at the resolution they were designed for. Look at the LCD specs, find the resolution, and set your OS to match it.
Bingo. PIxels will be square, and aspect ratio preserved when you're driving the monitor at the correct resolution (1:1). If circles are appearing as squashed ellipses, and everything is stretched horizontally, then you are driving the monitor at the wrong resolution.

Some monitors even complain on-screen with a message when they aren't being driven at the proper resolution. There is a small possibility that if your video card is very old, or the driver poorly written, that it may not be possible to set it to the correct resolution. This is fairly rare though.

Old 03-06-2011, 08:52 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,612,994 times
Change your screen resolution Windows 7

Change screen resolution Windows Vista

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...esolution.mspx Windows XP

Old 03-08-2011, 07:52 AM

16,546 posts, read 19,689,232 times
Are we missing the obvious? It's a widescreen monitor. It will strech things to fit.
It's a feature, not a bug.

Size your windows the way you want them.

Old 03-08-2011, 08:01 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,992,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Are we missing the obvious? It's a widescreen monitor. It will strech things to fit.
It's a feature, not a bug.

Size your windows the way you want them.
I think your missing it, the display should not appear stretched or distorted, circles should still be circles, not ovals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet