Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2018, 04:26 PM

3,101 posts, read 2,005,662 times

Advertisements

This isn't a problem I currently have, but out of curiosity, I'm asking. Recently, I went to Goodyear & decided to remain there 'til service was done. I could use their WiFi on my Windows phone... 3 other customers were using iPhones & were connected as well, as were a number of employees. However, another customer & I wanted to do a bit of work on our laptops (both with Win OS) & although we could connect to the network, there was no WiFi available.

It wasn't urgent for me, so no worries, but employees weren't able to help the man, who was trying desperately to do some online work. Out of curiosity, I wanted to figure out why, so began connecting to any nearby open WiFi network, like Wendy's, Popeye's & Dunkin' Donuts, I could pull in. I was able to connect to those that were close enough & pull in WiFi, although downloading webpages was slow.

No big deal, I connected to the strongest available network & helped the man connect, so he could do some work. I began looking around on my computer to see what might have prevented me from getting WiFi, but that's not my forte.

I'm rarely an outdoor computer user, so it's not a big deal... I'd just love to know why. Does anyone have an article that might explain the issue?

Thank you very much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2018, 09:55 AM

37,469 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Our son has an Iphone and an Ipad. the Ipad automatically mates well to the Iphone. So whenever his Iphone can get a cellphone signal, his Ipad is instantly able to surf the internet. His problem with it is that his Iphone does not work with our verizon cellphone tower signal. He needs a different cellphone company.

On his last trip to visit he left his Ipad here. Without an Iphone, the Ipad can detect our household wifi, but it's upload speed is extremely slow. It takes great photos, but to send the photos it can take a full day to send one photo. If there were an Iphone nearby for it to mate to then it could send all of it's photos in an instant.

My laptop has a difficult time trying to connect to wifi signals at McD's or other places. It can detect the wifi signal, but connecting is hard.

Old 05-04-2018, 01:00 PM

16,551 posts, read 19,703,819 times
It could have been a simple matter of the router only allowing xx number of people to connect. Sounds like quite a few people were on. Normally the limit it very high: 256 to be exact. But some companies will lock it down to only xx number of devices.
Any WiFi a phone can connect, a laptop should be able to, as well.

Old 05-04-2018, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
It could have been a simple matter of the router only allowing xx number of people to connect. Sounds like quite a few people were on. Normally the limit it very high: 256 to be exact. But some companies will lock it down to only xx number of devices.
Hi Perigrine. That's what I initially thought, but there were only 4 customers & about 6 employees. I could surf quickly with my Win phone, as could everyone else. In order to make sure there was no conflict, I disconnected my phone from the 'net before trying to use my computer.

Quote:
Any WiFi a phone can connect, a laptop should be able to, as well.
My computer could connect, there was just no Internet service available. I've certainly experienced that before, just not in this way, where the phone was fine but the laptop was being denied access.

Submariner... thank you. I understand. It's not a major issue for me... just my insatiable curiosity.

Thank you both.

Old 05-05-2018, 06:11 AM

15,436 posts, read 25,818,588 times
I can connect my laptop and iPhone through the hotspot feature on the phone both wirelessly and with a USB wire. It works very well.

My laptop (MacBook Pro) connects to wifi networks better than my phone does. I think Peregrine is right in his post above.

Old 05-05-2018, 11:04 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Typical.Girl View Post
Hi Perigrine. That's what I initially thought, but there were only 4 customers & about 6 employees. I could surf quickly with my Win phone, as could everyone else. In order to make sure there was no conflict, I disconnected my phone from the 'net before trying to use my computer.

My computer could connect, there was just no Internet service available. I've certainly experienced that before, just not in this way, where the phone was fine but the laptop was being denied access.

Submariner... thank you. I understand. It's not a major issue for me... just my insatiable curiosity.

Thank you both.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I can connect my laptop and iPhone through the hotspot feature on the phone both wirelessly and with a USB wire. It works very well.

My laptop (MacBook Pro) connects to wifi networks better than my phone does. I think Peregrine is right in his post above.
Yes, but.

Old 05-05-2018, 03:11 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,568,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Typical.Girl View Post
I'm rarely an outdoor computer user, so it's not a big deal... I'd just love to know why. Does anyone have an article that might explain the issue?
This is a real problem which unfortunately can have several different causes. So one solution may not fix it all the time.
Here is a very annoying video with one possible fix.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ns02R8qLm8

Last edited by PacoMartin; 05-05-2018 at 03:39 PM..

Old 05-06-2018, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
This is a real problem which unfortunately can have several different causes. So one solution may not fix it all the time. Here is a very annoying video with one possible fix.
Thank you, Paco. Lol. It is annoying... haha. I'll have to check my settings, just out of curiosity.

Old 05-07-2018, 06:22 AM

15,436 posts, read 25,818,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Yes, but.
Okay, maybe he wasn't right. It's been known to happen on occasion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet