Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2018, 07:28 PM

9,854 posts, read 7,604,899 times

Advertisements

So we just want internet...Wife and I contacted Comcast they wouldn't budge on the Triple Play for think 25MPBS they were going to charge us $100. So we said screw that contacted Frontier. They almost didn't budge but did offer up internet but had to get phone or the price would be ridiculously high.

Sooo we are paying $60 for phone and internet with Frontier. Have yet to cancel Comcast.

Now thinking about it might not be bright to have Frontier. Only concern is we are in an older building I don't believe Frontier has laid out fiber optic cables in the area...so I am thinking it's going to be DSL, which I hear is an antiquated internet service.

Internet via cable or DSL?

Also our apartment has no phone jack so not sure how they are going to install DSL.

Appreciate any insight can offer up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2018, 04:10 PM

37,277 posts, read 61,034,194 times
We had phone and DSL, and then we were able to shut-off the phone. The DSL by itself costs us $30/month.

Old 05-30-2018, 05:14 PM

41,815 posts, read 50,840,076 times
You would have to look at specifically what the plan is but DSL typically tops out at at about 3 to 4Mbps. I pay for DSL plan at my Grandmother's, think it's 3.3Mbps. Video is going to be your most demanding service and 3.3 is adequate but I'm not watching it on giant HD TV either. If you are using any services like Netflix or whatever on TV the video quality will not be as good as it can be. The only time I might have an issue is if windows decides to update itself and sucks up all the bandwidth.

If it's just you and someone else and all you are doing is getting email , surfing some web pages and watching the occasional video on YouTube it will be fine. If the two of you try and watch a video on Youtube at the same time that is where you might see problems and the video will fairly low quality.

Old 05-30-2018, 11:51 PM

471 posts, read 1,602,777 times
"What is the fastest speed that DSL connections are capable of?"

Old 06-01-2018, 06:15 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,676,794 times
Find out what speeds they are claiming you will receive.

I'm sort of surprised with Comcast - they won't "budge" from the Triple Play if you just want internet? They can't force you to buy phone and cable. They push the Triple Play because the cost of JUST internet is probably $60 or so. For only $40 more you get cable and phone.

If you like your service with Comcast, maybe you aren't asking the right questions. I had Time Warner back in the day. I simply brought back the cable box and the phone modem to the office and they removed those services from my bill.

Old 06-01-2018, 12:47 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,900,817 times
They sell it, seperately. Did u call them directly or some other 800 number?

You want to get speeds above 25 mb no matter who it is.

Old 06-01-2018, 08:26 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,536,195 times
It likely varies depending on where you live, but this is what we are offered in Las Vegas.

https://www.cabletv.com/xfinity/internet

Old 10-19-2018, 08:20 AM

4,596 posts, read 3,255,351 times
Updating this thread. We just got Comcast in a Texas Gulf coast location and the speeds are abominable - highest is 11 mg, mostly 8 to 10 on the download. I'm paying an extra $15 for supposedly higher speeds, but am interested to know if this is normal. It's the slowest we've had anywhere, including another Comcast location. Have reset the router several times, had the "chat" people reset it, no change. Is there anything, anything at all else we can try before issuing an ultimatum. (And don't know what I'd do anyway if they said, well sorry that's all we can do for you).

I've run the anti-virus, done CCleaner, so I don't think it's our laptops. Both DH and mine are SLOW SLOW at the start - can't get anything to work at all for about 10 minutes, and then they seem to perk up after about 10-15 minutes, but never to more than the above speeds. I'm at a loss right now.

If anyone has any ideas I'll try them.

Old 10-19-2018, 08:46 AM

37,277 posts, read 61,034,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
Updating this thread. We just got Comcast in a Texas Gulf coast location and the speeds are abominable - highest is 11 mg, mostly 8 to 10 on the download.

This is what $30/month gets us.

I dont think I have ever lived in a Comcast location.

Quote:
... Is there anything, anything at all else we can try before issuing an ultimatum. (And don't know what I'd do anyway if they said, well sorry that's all we can do for you).
I would be interested in hearing what an 'ultimatum' would look like.

Old 10-19-2018, 12:00 PM

4,596 posts, read 3,255,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post

I would be interested in hearing what an 'ultimatum' would look like.
HAHA I wish I could think of one that would make any difference! No, all I was thinking was that some other carrier might do better.

But the numbers you show above are awful also. How do you work with that? Someone in the next town from us routinely gets 100, which is what he paid extra to get. I paid extra also, but obviously am going to get nowhere near that, even if they do manage to do something to up the service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet