Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2018, 11:04 PM

1,487 posts, read 782,600 times

Advertisements

A friends' son set me up with a flat screen and a Roku. Before I go one step further, assume you are talking to a child, bcuz that's my technical expertise, childish.
We had a wi-fi connection, and I put Roku on my android. I casted my content to the TV. I watched a few things, let him have the TV, only he didn't watch it. Several hours later he said "OMG, is your wi-fi still on"? "Yes" I answered in a small voice. Apparently, I used up all the data,and forget casting,the TV won't play at all. He says I need another phone with a SIM card. I'snt there another remedy? I'm not sure exactly what happened, but I need to learn the exact functions of these applications and their effects. Is there another way to get the TV to work?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2018, 07:15 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,116,197 times
The weak link in this equation is your wireless phone service. It includes a limited amount of data each month, some number of gigabytes of it. Roku video uses data in large amounts, and you used up your month's worth of data in a short time.

You'll get more data on that account next month, whenever your billing month starts, but you won't have any more data on that account to stream with for the rest of the billing month.

Does that make sense?

Rather than signing up for a second wireless phone account, as your friend's son suggested, why not check with your current wireless phone provider to see how much it would cost to get more data on your current phone account?

Old 09-11-2018, 07:33 AM

16,551 posts, read 19,703,819 times
You say you have WiFi. Do you have it from like Spectrum or ATT with a device in your house that gives you internet? If so you should have your phone connected to that.

Also, as much as I appreciate you using the location field (far too many don't) ... you have a bit TOO much there. Bellevue WA is all you need. That 'Crossroads' information is NOT needed and I assume pinpoints you to a small area?!?

Old 09-11-2018, 01:55 PM

8,072 posts, read 8,370,078 times
Crossroads is a Bellevue 'hood. I'm in Ballard, a Seattle 'hood.

You might be better off getting a separate higher-speed Internet account, with a WiFi router.

I'm streaming using a Sprint wireless connection, but get "deprioritized" if I exceed my data allowance. I do limit the bandwidth that Netflix and Sling TV use to "medium" quality.

Old 09-11-2018, 02:28 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,328,763 times
Really? Used them all up? Don't worry, they reproduce at night. Just like Tribbles.

Old 09-12-2018, 07:13 AM

16,551 posts, read 19,703,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
Crossroads is a Bellevue 'hood. I'm in Ballard, a Seattle 'hood.
Ah, so it's completely useless that you put that there except to maybe a tiny handful of people in the Seattle forum. Gotcha.

(dude... just put Seattle... much more interesting )

Old 09-12-2018, 07:17 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,223,977 times
Be thankful they cut you off after using your data allowance instead of billing you steeply for additional data.

Old 09-13-2018, 10:58 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Be thankful they cut you off after using your data allowance instead of billing you steeply for additional data.
Yes, that's very unusual. People making that mistake will normally get a huge bill from the cell phone provider. If this TV is in your home, you would use the home wifi on the phone, which in most cases is not subject to the data limits of the 4G phone data. If you have no home wifi then you will have to pay more for a lot more data on your cell phone plan. When we bought opur trabel trailer with two smart TVs we knew that we would have to use the iPad to create a wifi hotspot when camping at most places, so increased our data plan. Without that our provider charges $15/MB when you go over the limit, that can add up fast at 1 GB per hour for an average movie .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet