Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2018, 11:29 AM

1,651 posts, read 1,300,735 times

Advertisements

I was shopping for air rifle on Amazon.com just now, and after 5 minutes of browsing the internet suddenly went out for about 15 minutes. I wonder if this is coincidence or the ISP doesn't like what I was looking at.... I'm in CA (SF area).

I had experienced something of this nature overseas - when reading up on sensitive stuff (Dali Lama, extremism, terrorism, etc) the internet goes out. No other time does this happen. So it makes me wonder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2018, 11:47 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,672,308 times
No. Coincidence.

Old 09-17-2018, 09:37 PM

5,574 posts, read 6,498,880 times
I don't believe in coincidence. With the "sensitive" topics the OP has mentioned, and he has actually noticed something unusual happening, I think he is on to something. I don't doubt it.

Old 09-18-2018, 05:56 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Amazon is over https, if the lock is fully green your ISP would only know the domain(s) you are requesting. You could be looking at anything on amazon.com If the lock is not fully green then it means it's mixed content and there is externally linked files not encrypted. e.g if the vendor used an image on their site not over https. If there was externally linked files like that either https or non http and your ISP could associate that with a domain that sells air rifles that would be the only way I could think of they could block it based on content.

This is most likely a coincidence.

Last edited by thecoalman; 09-18-2018 at 06:05 AM..

Old 09-18-2018, 01:36 PM

8,926 posts, read 4,632,086 times
Usually, I would say coincidence.
For instance there was a site I would go to every morning and after being on it, the response speed went to hell, and that happened more than once.
Seems the site was running maintenance (updates and backups) about the same time I was posting to it.
That would be coincidence, and is the most likely thing to happen.

I used to work in communications, and I do know of three (out of the tens of thousands of circuits I have observed) that were not coincidence. One was a mischievousness technician having a little fun, and the another couple of them I can't talk about.

The OP only discussed one instance. If it happened daily, then I might get suspicious.
And, add to that, no one really cares much about air rifles on Amazon.

Old 09-18-2018, 03:21 PM

12,960 posts, read 9,473,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFisher View Post
I was shopping for air rifle on Amazon.com just now, and after 5 minutes of browsing the internet suddenly went out for about 15 minutes. I wonder if this is coincidence or the ISP doesn't like what I was looking at.... I'm in CA (SF area).

I had experienced something of this nature overseas - when reading up on sensitive stuff (Dali Lama, extremism, terrorism, etc) the internet goes out. No other time does this happen. So it makes me wonder.
Did it work OK after the outage for the same item?

I think coincidence, although anything is possible in the Bay Area. I've never had an issue with site filtering by my ISP.

Old 09-19-2018, 08:11 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,672,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar 77 View Post
I don't believe in coincidence.
You're not serious. Come on man. Take off the tin foil hat.
You really think his ISP is going to block him... from Amazon... when searching for an AIR RIFLE? Really?

Quote:
With the "sensitive" topics the OP has mentioned,
an AIR RIFLE.
on AMAZON.
R I D I C U L O U S!

Quote:
and he has actually noticed something unusual happening, I think he is on to something. I don't doubt it.
Any issue with this site, OP?
https://www.gunbroker.com/AK-74/search

This one?
https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/taxons/ak74-rifles

How about A WEBSITE THAT YOU CAN BUY THINGS TO HAND MAKE GD GRENADES???
https://www.nammo.com/what-we-do/exp...hand-grenades/

Come on man....

Old 09-19-2018, 09:13 AM

I do agree air rifle should be harmless enough, which is part of my wonder.

But the ISP content blocking capability is unmistakable. In another country (which I don't want to name but is one of the countries with the highest HDI), anything that touches terrorism will quickly lead to data disruption; and depending on the nature of the content, recovery could be long or short. If it's an incidental reference, connection may come back in 2 minutes; or if is is some seriously extreme content, the connection can be down for days.

It is as if someone is actually looking at the content and evaluating!!

Old 09-19-2018, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Did it work OK after the outage for the same item?

I think coincidence, although anything is possible in the Bay Area. I've never had an issue with site filtering by my ISP.
Yes it worked OK after that; I have since done more research on air rifles without problem.

Old 09-20-2018, 09:49 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,467,804 times
If you are that worried about it, get a VPN, I use Nord.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet