Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2018, 09:38 PM

592 posts, read 502,556 times

Advertisements

I have my employee laptop that I occasionally use to work from home. I connect to my work using VPN using my home wifi. Occasionally may temporarily access my email without connecting to VPN. My work computer is not on any home group and turn off wifi when not in use. I use my own lap and cellphone for personal stuff. My worry is that the url of my work email came up on my cell..do not remember typing it before..i have my work phone for that, which I never connect to my wifi..someone please explain if privacy could becan issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2018, 03:00 PM

6,590 posts, read 11,292,770 times
They can technically log/see anything you do with the employer owned devices (whether or not they are actually doing it is a different story). As for your personal devices. It's unlikely they have anything on there to monitor your activity. Can they... technically they can put the same monitoring agent there...but very unlikely.

And what do you mean the URL of your work email came up on your cell (the browser? The email client?)? If you've ever sent a message to your work email, your email client may cache it so it makes it easier next time... ?

Old 10-14-2018, 04:04 PM

Thanks for the reply. I typed in the url bar and it gave a suggestion for my work email. Never used that cellphone to access my work email. I always tirn off wifi on my job laptop when not in use and it is not in any group for sharing.

Old 10-14-2018, 04:08 PM

2,033 posts, read 1,681,080 times
Are you syncing these devices?

Old 10-15-2018, 08:13 AM

16,551 posts, read 19,708,993 times
Your browser history is being synched across devices. More then likely.
Nothing to worry about but yes your employer can look at your laptop any time they want to see where you've been.

Old 10-15-2018, 08:00 PM

I will check my work laptop when I go to work to see if it is sycned. All I did was connect to my home wireless

Old 10-16-2018, 04:58 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,068,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nineball View Post
Thanks for the reply. I typed in the url bar and it gave a suggestion for my work email.

What is your default search engine and are you logged into that site? For example if you have google account and are logged into Google, if the default search engine on the browser is Google it can very easily give you that suggestion. It may just be your home IP that is producing the suggestion. In any event that suggestion comes from search engines and wouldn't have anything to do with your employer.

As far as your question goes anything you are viewing or connecting to over https with green lock could only expose the domain you are connecting to. The exact URL and the contents of the pages would be hidden from your ISP, employer, public wifi, etc.

The one caveat to that is if your employer has installed logging application on the device.

Old 10-16-2018, 08:09 AM

2,033 posts, read 1,681,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nineball View Post
I will check my work laptop when I go to work to see if it is sycned. All I did was connect to my home wireless
Check the settings on your devices. I think there is an automatic sync option, but it has to be manually set. Otherwise, it will prompt you asking to sync.

Chrome web browser was pushing it a while back. Maybe it was windows 10. I am sure your employer pays for the professional options for business devices.

DH- computer whiz that he is- deleted the bookmarks on his chrome after syncing his phone to his laptop. Deleted his book marks in ALL of his devices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet