U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2018, 02:03 PM

6,552 posts, read 2,597,591 times

Advertisements

I prefer Ethernet connection because it's more stable to me than Wifi. Sometimes when connected through wifi you may experience some buffering or a delay when trying to go to another website. I been using Ethernet all day and no issues at all when watching videos but you just never know what to expect with wifi
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2018, 07:46 PM

16,315 posts, read 24,993,910 times
Wire.

Old 11-12-2018, 05:12 AM

11,885 posts, read 12,350,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
I prefer Ethernet connection because it's more stable to me than Wifi.
Every transmission medium is subject to interference. I tried to run an ethernet twisted pair wire into my billiard room, via a bored hole that already had an electric wire going through it. The electric wire destroyed my ethernet signal.

But in general I am sometimes shocked at how much money people spend on a wifi system. The eero system advertises a typical starting price of $350-$400.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eero system advertisement
It's not you,it's your router.
Dead spots, buffering, endless reboots? These are all symptoms of traditional routers and range extenders, and why it can be so tough to work, play, stream, or scroll in every room of your home.
I wonder how many people spend that kind of money instead of buying CAT-5E twisted pair wire and simply running from device to device

Old 11-12-2018, 06:08 AM

2,350 posts, read 1,466,367 times
When I went from dial-up to DSL, I replaced the phone cable from the NID to the computer with CAT-5E. I had to install a DSL splitter at the NID because the DSL filter did not allow my caller ID to work.

Since I have only one computer, a desktop, I turned off the modem Wi-Fi. I have aluminum siding and live hundreds of feet from the nearest neighbors, but still thought that sending a Wi-Fi signal was a potential security threat.

Old 11-13-2018, 02:54 PM

1,417 posts, read 784,917 times
It seems to me I'm using Dixie Cups on String.

Old 11-14-2018, 03:40 AM

574 posts, read 283,527 times
Ethernet, when I'm gaming on my desktop PC.. for My macbook and everything else? Wifi

Old 11-14-2018, 07:36 AM

13,803 posts, read 15,880,505 times
My god I feel like the youngest guy on this board sometimes... and I assure you I am not.
I use Wifi for everything except my Roku TV and the only reason I do that is because my router is right below the TV. My wifi is flawless. I don't "buffer" when moving between webpages. I know exactly what to expect with Wifi: whole house coverage including my backyard without a wire.

Quote:
But in general I am sometimes shocked at how much money people spend on a wifi system. The eero system advertises a typical starting price of $350-$400.
If you need to cover a 4,000 sq ft house that would do it. How much would it cost to wire the 4 bedroom, living room, family room?

Old 11-14-2018, 11:16 AM

5,683 posts, read 12,410,812 times
I am sure that hard wiring is the best way and in my case, it was relatively easy to hard-wire the whole house, by having one long cord to each "room". I made darn sure that there were no electric wires near the CAT5 wiring
My router has 6 ports for that purpose. The house happens to be built so that the CAT5 wiring comes down from the ceiling into a closet. Then just thru the closet wall and terminating in a wall plate. Inside the closet, a long CAT5 cord to hook up whatever device to the wall plug.
As usual, most everybody who is in my house always uses Wireless capability and never seems to have a problem!

Outside wiring comes in the house somewhere centrally in the hose and inside a closet (nothing visible).

Old 11-14-2018, 07:23 PM

11,885 posts, read 12,350,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
If you need to cover a 4,000 sq ft house that would do it. How much would it cost to wire the 4 bedroom, living room, family room?
I just drill through the floor and run the wire along the basement ceiling

$46 for 1000' of CAT-5E cable
$21 for UbiGear Cable Tester + Crimp Crimper +100 RJ45 CAT5 CAT5e Connector Plug Network Tool Kits (Crimper568R)
$28 for two TP-Link TL-SG1005D 5-Port Unmanaged Gigabit Desktop Switch

https://www.amazon.com/Platinum-Conn...rs+cat5e&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/UbiGear-Crimp...ool%2Bkit&th=1
https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-TL-SG...+switch+5+port

I run two wires from the router to the two switches and connect devices to the switches. I found it was better to bring all the TV cable boxes to one switch so at least the live TV distributed on the LAN will work even if the internet is down for some reason.

Old 11-14-2018, 09:51 PM

3 posts, read 977 times
Ethernet gives a more stable internet but you have to sit in that one particular area where you have it in unlike in wifi you can sit anywhere and have access to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet