Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2018, 04:27 PM

8,924 posts, read 4,632,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
Reddit is just vast. You can pretty much find anything you want. I sometimes feel like news sites are using Reddit for content. You see something on Reddit, then three days later you see it on a news site. Obviously we're talking about more local stuff that ends up on the national scene.
I have known local news bureaus to monitor a forum for news stories, just like reporters of old monitored a scanner tuned to police and fire freq's. Frankly, with the sad state of the MSM, I wouldn't be surprised if some of the stuff in the "paper" was simply copied and paraphrased from a forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2018, 05:32 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
My kids say Facebook is for old people.

LOL, that is not surprising. The generation that really got FB going is mid 20's now. I suspect it will be replaced with something else over the coming decade, especially with all the privacy issues they have had.

Old 12-11-2018, 05:34 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
Does anyone use Quora?

Anytime I have clicked on quora link in a search result it was about as useful as used toilet paper.

I have found Reddit somewhat helpful but I still prefer dedicated forums for getting real answers.

Old 12-11-2018, 10:31 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,675,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Skunky knows.
You need to spend a little time customizing it and then it's a good fit. If you just go to the front page and start reading... yea it can be a mess. Create an account and pick and choose the subs (or forums) that you want to see and suddenly it becomes all your forums in one front end web page. Bit of a learning curve there.
(Big reason why C-D needs to get with the program and move to Tapatalk.... )

So now when I go there I see only stuff from the areas I WANT to see: Mazda, Gaming, Sys Admin, Home Automation, Cleveland, Android, Android Auto, one for JUST my phone model, Duh Browns, Wine, Cordcutters, and the Walking Dead TV show.

Everything I want to read about, nothing I don't.

Seriously... Reddit is killing forums... and to a lesser extent FB, Twitter and all that. Only because of time spent there. Spend so much time on FB you don't have time for forums anymore.

And yea... FB IS for older people nowadays. Once we adults discovered it, the kids all ran to find something else.
I only go to the front page of Reddit. That way I get all the crazies. Love it!

FB is for old people? The majority of my FB friends are under 20.

Last edited by Tek_Freek; 12-11-2018 at 10:32 PM.. Reason: Typo

Old 12-11-2018, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Have you checked out Reddit? It is a new generation forum. It really is. And it's popular as hell with all demographics. FB and Twitter had something to do with it but people are flocking to Reddit right now.

Yea, I get it's sarcasm but also disagree. There may be a decline in literacy but there is no shortage of people typing on the internet...
And the quality of posts reflects it.

I love the 3/4 of a page paragraphs with little punctuation and 25% of the words either misspelled or the wrong word. They're their there. Your You're yore.

And the "loopers". They make an argument, ask a question regarding it, get different answers then they want, twist the logic or find some obscure data through Google, and using it loop right back to the same question they started with. Over, and over, and over. There's one in the Science forum that is a master of the method.

Old 12-12-2018, 07:45 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,672,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
Does anyone use Quora? How does it compare to Reddit? I have accounts on both but I don't spend enough time on either to understand them.
People USE Quora? Like intentionally go there? It sometimes shows up in my search results as an answer to a question but I've never actually gone to it for any reason. I thought it was just like Yahoo Answers.

Just went to the frontpage of
https://www.quora.com/
I don't patronize any sites with regularity that forces me to create an account before I can even see the content. Same reason I don't Pinterest.

Old 12-12-2018, 08:14 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
FB is for old people? The majority of my FB friends are under 20.

Mine is full of people aged from 15 to 85 years old. The most active seem to be over 40. The kids seem to prefer SnapChat, Instagram and Twitter. I would guess the experience on Facebook is different for everyone.

Old 12-12-2018, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Mine is full of people aged from 15 to 85 years old. The most active seem to be over 40. The kids seem to prefer SnapChat, Instagram and Twitter. I would guess the experience on Facebook is different for everyone.
A large part of the activity I see is from great nieces and nephews who are cheerleaders, EMT, military, etc. The older of the two cheerleaders is on a team that regularly wins state competitions so there are a lot of posts. A couple are married and post re children. There is certainly some spill over from SnapChat and Instagram. Usually those silly picture modifications.

Old 12-15-2018, 10:51 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,745,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsgoingon4 View Post
First off no, I don't think CD is declining!

But it seems to me that in general, forums seem to be losing interest. I have been on forums for a decent while. I believe the first forum I posted to was in 2003 or 2004. I've been on a number since, for different topics. What I noticed was around 5 years ago, traffic on many of them seemed to drop off a cliff. There was just little interest it seemed. Most of the forums I visited back in the mid to late 2000s either no longer exist, or are abandoned. I was told a lot of this had to do with Facebook Groups becoming more popular. The ironic thing is, as far as I know, the groups still dropped out even with the move to FB Groups. I personally didn't join them, because I don't like the idea of doing everything through Facebook. I don't like having my personal photos, name, friends list, etc linked to my Groups. In some ways this might be a good thing, since it encourages people to watch what they say and how they behave. But I don't like the transparency of it.

Some of the forums I posted on back then are still open, but they still don't get much traffic these days. Other forums I post on seem to be holding their own just fine.

In some cases there are competitive forums where people would leave one forum and start their own on the same topic, and usually one or the other eventually shuts down. So there is a lot of cross-posting to two forums and the dominant one wins.

I have met people on forums, and sometimes find the same people on forums for a totally different topic. I can tell by their avatars. Or sometimes I find forums will have similar interest to each other so it's not as surprising to see people on multiple ones.

Has anyone else noticed forums declining in participation. Do you think it has to do with more social media these days, or do you think it's partly just due to people's interests changing and therefore no longer interested in the topics a forum might cover?
Yes due to social media but all good things come to an end. Facebook even seems like it's dying due to Instagram and Twitter and Youtube.

Old 12-15-2018, 10:52 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,745,193 times
Message board was the hottest thing on the internet between 2002 and 2008. The most active boards on this site seem to be the Politics and NYC board.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet