Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2019, 10:59 AM

2,479 posts, read 2,213,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
My only concern is that I read that you will no longer be able to stop or defer updates as we can now. Considering the continual screw ups they hand out I'm getting paranoid. And I wonder what else they are going to drop into that 7GB they have decided to steal from me. I keep reminding myself that this is my effing computer. Not theirs.

If they continue in this vein I'm going to end up using a flavor of Unix and leave MS to rot.
For me, a computer is just an appliance. I have several applications that I run, word processing & gaming, and HAD files stored containing historical photos, a genealogy that I have written over the past fifty years, prior tax returns.

To make a long story short, I bought a new computer which had Windows 10 on it. Because of my limited use, I did not see any change in this "upgrade" from former Windows OSs except that I noticed that Microsoft was always updating my OS and denying me use of my system while this was done, and constantly pushing new applications onto my system whether I wanted them or not, which I uninstalled as soon as Microsoft told me what it was attempting to do.

The pushing of new applications stopped. I see from comments in this forum, that MICROSOFT found a back-door into Win users systems by allocating a portion of hard drives to "update" them. One of these money makers was ONEDRIVE. This "update" was pushed onto consumers without "mother may I."

So although I saw MICROSOFT's ads about ONEDRIVE, I had not given permission for it to operate so never thought about it.

Well it was operating and captured every darn thing and folder I put on my computer's hard drive. I discovered it when Microsoft sent me an e-mail "suggesting" that I pay for MORE storage through ONEDRIVE.

So guess what? I uninstalled ONEDRIVE. No harm. No foul. Right? WRONG! Every fricking folder vanished from my hard drive,- photos, genealogy, IRS tax returns, receipts of Internet purchases not yet received - EVERYTHING.

I didn't ignore warnings; there were not any. What the h*LL!?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2019, 06:08 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,720,028 times
Conceptually, I'd say this and more is already being done on version 1803 with repeating updates of KB4023057. Anyone else notice this?

I got another notice this morning that Big Brother Microsoft needed to restart my computer to install this, so I looked into it. Since November 16th of last year, not one, not two, but 6 times an update with this number has been installed on my computer. I'm guessing that these are regular periodic checks to be sure that nothing will stand in the way of Microsoft's control of your machine.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...nd-1803-for-up
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet