Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2019, 06:18 PM

1,994 posts, read 1,260,405 times

Advertisements

And I don't know what to do about it. Let's start with my email. I changed my password on the Yahoo account, but don't know if that's sufficient. Help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2019, 05:12 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
Why do you think you are being hacked?

Changing a password is always a good idea especially if you think it's been compromised but more importantly you should be using strong passwords and different ones for each site. You can create and manage these with a program like Keepass.

https://keepass.info/

Old 02-13-2019, 09:48 AM

Thanks for info about keepass. It's a long story about why I think I may be hacked, and don't have time now to explain. But first I changed yahoo password, now wondering if they can get into it anyway if it's been hacked.

Old 02-13-2019, 01:31 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,475,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindi Waters View Post
Thanks for info about keepass. It's a long story about why I think I may be hacked, and don't have time now to explain. But first I changed yahoo password, now wondering if they can get into it anyway if it's been hacked.
Scan your system for viruses, I recommend Malwarebytes Free. Then change the password to your email and keep it only in your head or write it down on paper if you have to. I would hold off on the password manager until you are sure your PC is clean. Hackers are interested in making money for the most part and an email by itself is not that useful. If they have your password for any online shopping sites and you have a credit card stored on some of those sites, that is where you have to be careful. They can then order stuff using your card, have it shipped somewhere else, block the emails from that vendor and you would never know about it until you see your credit card statement.

Old 02-13-2019, 02:35 PM

16,548 posts, read 19,694,332 times
Well you do need to explain what you even mean by "being hacked" if you want any serious help.

Old 02-13-2019, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Scan your system for viruses, I recommend Malwarebytes Free. Then change the password to your email and keep it only in your head or write it down on paper if you have to. I would hold off on the password manager until you are sure your PC is clean. Hackers are interested in making money for the most part and an email by itself is not that useful. If they have your password for any online shopping sites and you have a credit card stored on some of those sites, that is where you have to be careful. They can then order stuff using your card, have it shipped somewhere else, block the emails from that vendor and you would never know about it until you see your credit card statement.
I got something that looked like it was from Sam's Club, of which I am a member. It had the Sam's Club insignia and looked official, but I think it was not after having looked into it. It was an offer to buy items at Sam's Club, and then have it registered to my account. So when I was at Sam's Club I decided to verify this information, and they said they never heard of this offer. They even called corporate office. Who said the same thing. But here is the very incredible part -- FOR SOME ODD REASON, after that phone call the entire email offer from "Sam's Club" disappeared from my emails. I just changed my sam's club Mastercard number. But the question is also -- how did the entire offer suddenly "disappear" from my emails?? Can't find it, contacted Yahoo, but they have not "recovered" it. Weird, very very weird.

Old 02-13-2019, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
I changed Yahoo password. I also downloaded Microsoft Essentials Security and it scanned the computer, I did the quick scan, it didn't come up with anything dangerous. Again -- another question is: if a hacker somehow got information, got into my email, which virus protection program would discover that? (What a mess...) Unethical people will do anything to lie, steal,and cheat.Sad.

Old 02-13-2019, 06:01 PM

I checked. One of the discount blogs claims Sam's Club is offering this, but like I said, although I "registered," even before I saw the discount/coupon blog, I amazingly lost the email. Not sure if the clerk at Sam's Club mistakenly erased it permanently. Can't figure what happened and why the email just flew into outer space. Nevertheless, I cancelled Sam's Club credit card, they are sending me a new one, I changed yahoo password and will work on passwords for my other sites.

Old 02-13-2019, 08:57 PM

Now it seems it is a legitimate offering to some (not all) Sam's Club customers. But in the meantime I cancelled my original credit card, can't figure if my purchases will add up. Oh well, and sigh.

Old 02-14-2019, 05:12 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindi Waters View Post
I got something that looked like it was from Sam's Club, of which I am a member. It had the Sam's Club insignia and looked official, but I think it was not after having looked into it. It was an offer to buy items at Sam's Club, and then have it registered to my account. So when I was at Sam's Club I decided to verify this information, and they said they never heard of this offer. They even called corporate office. Who said the same thing. But here is the very incredible part -- FOR SOME ODD REASON, after that phone call the entire email offer from "Sam's Club" disappeared from my emails. I just changed my sam's club Mastercard number. But the question is also -- how did the entire offer suddenly "disappear" from my emails?? Can't find it, contacted Yahoo, but they have not "recovered" it. Weird, very very weird.

It's pretty difficult for someone to craft an email that can do anything malicious unless you opened an attachment or clicked a link in the email leading to malicious site. Javascript used in the email would be the main concern but that is stripped or disabled by the email provider for web based email and email clients, least it should be. This is one reason I avoid using web based email, it will be enabled in your browser and you are dependent on the email provider altering the source code of the email to remove it. When using an email client disabled is disabled.

Quote:

I changed yahoo password and will work on passwords for my other sites
Just make sure they are different for each site and if you use the password manager I linked to above you can generate complex ones. Keepass provides other benefits, the file it uses for storage is encrypted so if someone steals your computer/laptop or whatever they can't open it. You do have to remember the password for Keepass file, this should be somewhat complex but something you can remember.

Since the file is encrypted you can store it on the cloud using a service like Onedrive. This gives you backup and you can access the file from multiple devices with Keepass installed. One thing to keep in mind is you are using it on single device you may want to store the password for Onedrive or whatever cloud service you are using in a Keepass file on USB stick or whatever.

One last tip, when you open a page with login click the username text box so the curso is in it. Open Keepass, right click the entry for that site and select auto type.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet