Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2019, 07:22 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,477,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindi Waters View Post
FOR SOME ODD REASON, after that phone call the entire email offer from "Sam's Club" disappeared from my emails.
This could be that they were monitoring your email and deleted the message. It was then reflected on your screen. Could this have been before you changed your password?

I would also suggest using the malwarebytes I mentioned in addition to MSE.
https://www.malwarebytes.com/mwb-download/

As for your email password and this goes for all passwords, make sure they are unique and hard to guess. Oh, and another thing and I don't know if this applies to you, once they have your email, they will read them and figure out how they can get you. For example, if you deal with Amazon, they will see the emails and try to get on your account and if you happen to use the same or similar password, well you can guess the rest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2019, 07:23 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
So... you think you were hacked... went through all this trouble... because an email disappeared? You were not hacked...

Old 02-15-2019, 08:26 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,477,098 times
No need to guess, you can check.

Check if you have an account that has been compromised in a data breach
https://haveibeenpwned.com/

I have 12 separate data breaches listed. That by itself doesn't mean much. Most do not matter but still, it's nice to know.

Old 02-15-2019, 11:13 PM

1,994 posts, read 1,260,804 times
I hate to say this, but it is all very complicated. How can a hacker hijack your password anyway?

Old 02-15-2019, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
So... you think you were hacked... went through all this trouble... because an email disappeared? You were not hacked...
Yes, I think you are [probably] right. But -- how could the email just disappear like that? I mean it went into thin air. That is after the clerk looked at it, I showed it to her and then I couldn't find it again. Weird. I don't think she did anything to delete it, but even if she did, she'd have to double click it and I don't think she did that. Oh well, it's one of those mysteries, I guess.

Old 02-15-2019, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
No need to guess, you can check.

Check if you have an account that has been compromised in a data breach
https://haveibeenpwned.com/

I have 12 separate data breaches listed. That by itself doesn't mean much. Most do not matter but still, it's nice to know.
So I have to put my email address for them to look it up. How can they do that?

Old 02-15-2019, 11:25 PM

11,160 posts, read 7,964,064 times
I get ads Sent to my email addresses all the time. I can’t delete them, The only option is “done”.( reading them) By the next day... they’re gone and there’s usually another in their place. Sounds like you just got an ad like that from Sam’s Club.
Wasn’t really an email, but an ad that your email provider sent to you.

Old 02-15-2019, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
I get ads Sent to my email addresses all the time. I can’t delete them, The only option is “done”.( reading them) By the next day... they’re gone and there’s usually another in their place. Sounds like you just got an ad like that from Sam’s Club.
Wasn’t really an email, but an ad that your email provider sent to you.
I don't think it was an ad. But -- I wouldn't testify in court to that. I used to work for an attorney, and he told me that's one reason depositions are taken, because people can't remember what actually happened, or what they said. So I don't know. I do know, however, when I emailed Sam's Club, they seem to have offered me the same offer more or less, I say more or less because it was worded in a way that did not distinctly offer me the deal, and I registered again for it, it's a bit iffy right now. It should be the same because they took my membership number, we'll see.

Old 02-16-2019, 12:01 PM

6,590 posts, read 11,288,331 times
Quote:
Yes, I think you are [probably] right. But -- how could the email just disappear like that? I mean it went into thin air. That is after the clerk looked at it, I showed it to her and then I couldn't find it again. Weird. I don't think she did anything to delete it, but even if she did, she'd have to double click it and I don't think she did that. Oh well, it's one of those mysteries, I guess.
Accidentally deleted it? Do you access it from multiple places from different clients? Maybe it was moved to a local folder? There are numerous "innocent" ways this could have happened. Most malicious scams like these don't typically bother deleting the email. It's not like it would provide a clear evidence trail to warrant the extra step. The point is typically to get you to click on a link to drop a payload or get you to provide information (e.g. user credentials).

Quote:
So I have to put my email address for them to look it up. How can they do that?
It sort of explains it on the site. The information comes from previous breaches. This guy gathers them and creates a DB so you can run searches against it.

So if your email comes up, it simply means it was included in one of those previous breaches. It then tells where (e.g the site) your email came up. As an example, one of my emails came up in the LinkedIN breach in 2016. And it tells you that this breach included email and password.

Thus, if I'm still using the same password when that breach happened, then my account could be easily taken over.

Old 02-17-2019, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
Accidentally deleted it? Do you access it from multiple places from different clients? Maybe it was moved to a local folder? There are numerous "innocent" ways this could have happened. Most malicious scams like these don't typically bother deleting the email. It's not like it would provide a clear evidence trail to warrant the extra step. The point is typically to get you to click on a link to drop a payload or get you to provide information (e.g. user credentials).

It sort of explains it on the site. The information comes from previous breaches. This guy gathers them and creates a DB so you can run searches against it.

So if your email comes up, it simply means it was included in one of those previous breaches. It then tells where (e.g the site) your email came up. As an example, one of my emails came up in the LinkedIN breach in 2016. And it tells you that this breach included email and password.

Thus, if I'm still using the same password when that breach happened, then my account could be easily taken over.
OK, well I changed the password. I still can't figure what happened, I'd hate to be on a jury --
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet