Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2019, 03:07 PM

1,168 posts, read 2,397,616 times

Advertisements

I have been trying to watch the Scotties Tournament of Hearts on ESPN3 (their stream of TSN's Canadian broadcast) and have encountered numerous problems. The problems seem to occur when the stream changes from the game to local commercials. Where/how are these inserted and why do they cause my stream to either stall or get out of sync?

I am using a laptop with Windows 10 and Foxfire, attached to my router (Linksys WRT 1900 ACS) via an ethernet cable. (I started the first game using WiFi, but could the stream stalled right off the bat and I quickly switched to the ethernet cable.) My speed is around 62 mbps. I shut off all items that might try to run in the background (updates, virus scan, etc.). I am not running other devices. I do live in an apartment complex if that makes a difference.

Does anyone know if there anything I can do to get a steadier stream? Has anyone else encountered such issues using ESPN3?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2019, 04:49 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,105,348 times
Local commercials are inserted by your cable provider. I'd report the issue to them. Maybe record it with your smartphone's video camera and provide the video to the ISP? Once this case gets escalated to the people at the cable provider who can fix the problem, they're not going to believe it's happening. It's on you to give them evidence to prove that it is.

Old 02-16-2019, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
Local commercials are inserted by your cable provider. I'd report the issue to them. Maybe record it with your smartphone's video camera and provide the video to the ISP? Once this case gets escalated to the people at the cable provider who can fix the problem, they're not going to believe it's happening. It's on you to give them evidence to prove that it is.
Actually, my ISP does NOT insert the commercials. I spoke with them about this and the commercials are somehow inserted by ESPN or some other external entity. My ISP is a city utility and they don't have any involvement in such things.

Also, I am streaming with a laptop, not a smartphone.

Old 02-16-2019, 07:08 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,105,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdc58 View Post
Actually, my ISP does NOT insert the commercials. I spoke with them about this and the commercials are somehow inserted by ESPN or some other external entity. My ISP is a city utility and they don't have any involvement in such things.

Also, I am streaming with a laptop, not a smartphone.
OK, it sounds like I'm making incorrect assumptions. Who do you pay for the subscription to ESPN 3? If you're paying ESPN and getting the programming over-the-top, ESPN should be blocking the local commercials. (At least they were back when I could still get it with my cable subscription.)

If you're paying some other company for the subscription, I'd suspect them and contact their customer service.

If you're paying ESPN, they must be doing it and they must have changed their business model since I could access ESPN3. There should be a customer service option near the place on their web site to report technical issues. I'd report it there.

Old 02-17-2019, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
OK, it sounds like I'm making incorrect assumptions. Who do you pay for the subscription to ESPN 3? If you're paying ESPN and getting the programming over-the-top, ESPN should be blocking the local commercials. (At least they were back when I could still get it with my cable subscription.)

If you're paying some other company for the subscription, I'd suspect them and contact their customer service.

If you're paying ESPN, they must be doing it and they must have changed their business model since I could access ESPN3. There should be a customer service option near the place on their web site to report technical issues. I'd report it there.
Yes....you're making LOTS of incorrect assumptions. I do not pay for a subscription. ESPN3 is a service on ESPN's website where they stream events not on their cable networks. It is not a pay service. And, yes, they are putting commercials in. Some of the commercials are for ESPN itself.

And ESPN's customer service is a joke. All they do is tell you to empty your cache, delete your cookies and check your download speed.

I don't understand why you are responding to a post on a subject about which you have no knowledge. I posted this to see if others had the problem and what solutions they found.

Old 02-20-2019, 11:36 AM

2,453 posts, read 3,214,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdc58 View Post
I don't understand why you are responding to a post on a subject about which you have no knowledge.
Maybe they're trying to be nice when nobody else, even ESPN, seems willing / able to help you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet