Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2019, 02:02 PM

5,316 posts, read 3,203,357 times

Advertisements

In this post, I'm talking specifically about google maps, accessed on a laptop at maps.google.com.

Is there a way to get a satellite view that is truly a satellite view and not the 3D satellite view Google uses? I've found no use for the 3D view and it makes the images blurry when you zoom in.

I know that Google does have proper satellite images for certain addresses and I'd just like to see these satellite views.

For example, if you go to maps.google.com on a computer and enter the following address: 11500 Holly Springs New Hill Rd, Apex, NC 27539. If you click on satellite view, it does not show the completed building, however, when you look at the satellite icon/thumbnail you clicked on, you can see the building and the adjoining neighborhood is actually completed. So Google has an updated satellite view but they just don't show it online.

Also when I use the Google Maps app on my phone it shows the updated satellite view - so I know Google has it, I just want to see it on my larger computer screen.

Any ideas how to get it?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2019, 02:14 PM

61,637 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Can you please post a picture of the incomplete satellite view? I don't have a problem viewing it on my laptop.
Both look identical to me.

Old 06-05-2019, 02:32 PM

Sure, if you look at the center of the image titled Sat1, you can see nothing but dirt. They've cleared the land and nothing is there. This screenshot is from the computer.

Sat2 is the same address, but from my phone (it's also the image used in the "Satellite" thumbnail online).
Attached Thumbnails
Google Maps Satellite View Question-sat1.jpg   Google Maps Satellite View Question-sat2.jpg  

Old 06-05-2019, 02:38 PM

61,637 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Interesting. I only can see the incomplete view (picture1) on my laptop.
This view seems to be from Google Earth

On the phone, I see pix2, same as the thumbnail. I don't know where they got that view from

Yeah, I see what you mean... on google maps, the satellite view is different than the view shown on the thumbnail.

I can see a more recent view on Bing map but the thumbnail view is most recent
https://www.bing.com/maps?osid=67efa...=2&form=S00027

What system is your computer? Windows?

Last edited by elnina; 06-05-2019 at 03:25 PM..

Old 06-05-2019, 04:05 PM

3,549 posts, read 6,661,462 times
Click on the Hamburger menu at the top left (three bars). and click "Globe" (it should be blue indicating that it's using the 3D imagery).

Old 06-06-2019, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
Click on the Hamburger menu at the top left (three bars). and click "Globe" (it should be blue indicating that it's using the 3D imagery).
There it is...thank you!

The 3D imagery drives me crazy. I'm not sure in what applications it's useful when you just want a plain satellite view.

Thanks again!

Old 06-06-2019, 07:12 AM

15,416 posts, read 9,044,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
Weird, I can only see the up to date view, and it says 3D Earth View not available. That is probably because I'm running a 12 year old operating system. One of the advantages of using obsolete software, they just give you the basics, not all the useless bells and whistles, you don't need. LOL.

Old 06-06-2019, 07:33 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,661,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Weird, I can only see the up to date view, and it says 3D Earth View not available. That is probably because I'm running a 12 year old operating system. One of the advantages of using obsolete software, they just give you the basics, not all the useless bells and whistles, you don't need. LOL.
I actually find both views useful in different situations. We travel a lot (pulling a large fifth wheel), so using the 3D view can help get a general feel for elevation and topographical conditions.

Old 06-07-2019, 12:42 PM

34,993 posts, read 16,956,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSox 15 View Post
Sure, if you look at the center of the image titled Sat1, you can see nothing but dirt. They've cleared the land and nothing is there. This screenshot is from the computer.

Sat2 is the same address, but from my phone (it's also the image used in the "Satellite" thumbnail online).
I think they blur the images for privacy reasons. That was an issue a few years back if I recall.

Old 06-07-2019, 03:00 PM

7,514 posts, read 13,608,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I think they blur the images for privacy reasons. That was an issue a few years back if I recall.
In the OP's issue, it is not a blur. The 2 images are from different times. One when the land was cleared for development, other when new buildings were done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet