Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2019, 01:15 PM
Status: "A solution in search of a problem" (set 24 days ago)

34,567 posts, read 16,638,125 times

Advertisements

What Apple’s iTunes Shutdown Means for Music Fans

Unexplained is what happens to components other than sale of music files and streaming. The linked article cryptically states:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchfork article
And if you want to sync your devices and do old school stuff like put mp3s on them, that process will now take place in the Finder app. The change is set to take place with the planned arrival of OS X 10.15, code-named Catalina, in September.
I personally have over 7000 music files, most of them converted from my Vinyl collection or ripped from CD purchases. I want to know, for example, if my Beethoven's 9th Symphony playlist, with movements in order, be accessible. Or for that matter James Taylor's Sweet Baby James, copied from vinyl.

Practical stuff like that, not 22nd Century questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2019, 01:56 PM

15,402 posts, read 25,675,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
What Apple’s iTunes Shutdown Means for Music Fans

Unexplained is what happens to components other than sale of music files and streaming. The linked article cryptically states:I personally have over 7000 music files, most of them converted from my Vinyl collection or ripped from CD purchases. I want to know, for example, if my Beethoven's 9th Symphony playlist, with movements in order, be accessible. Or for that matter James Taylor's Sweet Baby James, copied from vinyl.

Practical stuff like that, not 22nd Century questions.
Back them up. You have all summer. Apple taught me this every time I did a restore from icloud to a new deice and couldn't find videos I had saved from elsewhere.

Old 06-06-2019, 02:13 PM

41,815 posts, read 50,843,804 times
Quote:
. I want to know, for example, if my Beethoven's 9th Symphony playlist, with movements in order, be accessible. Or for that matter James Taylor's Sweet Baby James, copied from vinyl.

I don't know the specifics of Itunes but music files and playlists are standard formats that can be used on any device/software and you should be able to copy or export them. Are you using Windows or Mac?

Old 06-06-2019, 03:25 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,533,759 times
i could never use it00nz because i owned a creative:zen media player and a fedora linux laptop so i dont understand why you cant just drag-and-drop the music files.

i always thought it was foolish to require some random bloat-ware in order to copy files to a usb thumb drive.

Old 06-06-2019, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Back them up. You have all summer. Apple taught me this every time I did a restore from icloud to a new deice and couldn't find videos I had saved from elsewhere.
The files have been converted to MP3's and are backed up on my laptop and my portable hard drive. I am more concerned with the playlists. Without those playlists and playlist folders, listening to my music becomes more chore than enjoyment. I would go back to my vinyl.

Old 06-06-2019, 04:27 PM

41,815 posts, read 50,843,804 times
Quote:
The files have been converted to MP3's and are backed up on my laptop and my portable hard drive. I am more concerned with the playlists. Without those playlists and playlist folders, listening to my music becomes more chore than enjoyment. I would go back to my vinyl.

A quick search says they have option for exporting playlist. They list selecting windows or Mac. The windows playlist is likely .m3u extension and should work in any player both Mac and windows.

A playlist is pretty simple text file that has a list of paths to the files, at least for most players.

Old 06-06-2019, 05:15 PM

24,623 posts, read 19,066,222 times
Quote:
I am more concerned with the playlists.
Google.

There's all manner of freeware out there that will convert any playlist in any format to any other format you want, as well as export and import playlists from Windows to Winamp to VLC and others.

Some freeware tag editors also have playlist converters or import/export functions. I thought MP3Tag had a playlist converter, but I can't remember, because I haven't added any music to my collection in several years now, so I haven't had the need to add an album cover or edit metadata.

Old 06-07-2019, 05:10 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,126,817 times
I don’t understand all the hoopla. From the same article -

“So again, take a deep breath—contrary to speculation, no one’s iTunes collections were “killed” today. “Music that you’ve imported or purchased will be in the new Apple Music app,” Apple reiterates in a new customer support page. “Music playlists and smart playlists that you've created in iTunes will be in the new Apple Music app.” “

And if you are on a PC there is no change as iTunes is only going away on the Mac.

Old 06-07-2019, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
I don’t understand all the hoopla. From the same article -

“So again, take a deep breath—contrary to speculation, no one’s iTunes collections were “killed” today. “Music that you’ve imported or purchased will be in the new Apple Music app,” Apple reiterates in a new customer support page. “Music playlists and smart playlists that you've created in iTunes will be in the new Apple Music app.” “

And if you are on a PC there is no change as iTunes is only going away on the Mac.
Will the library on the PC sync to the iPhone?

Last edited by jbgusa; 06-07-2019 at 08:13 AM..

Old 06-07-2019, 07:59 AM

16,482 posts, read 19,520,983 times
Yes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet