Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2019, 05:14 PM

220 posts, read 133,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
It's not the email provider that is at fault, they don't send spam to their own clients.

Spam comes from other places that have your email address. How did they get your email is what you have to ask yourself.

Some of the reasons could be through no fault of yours. It could be something you bought online from a company that shared your info. It could be that you signed up for something and gave your email address, it could be a lot of things. The spammers got your email somehow. Then those people share with other spammers.

If you want to stop it on your end and send it the junk folder, there are various ways, at the server level and on the client level, with specialized software etc. It all depends on how you read your email.

Unless I missed it, you also never mentioned what email provider you have.

How do you read email? Through a web browser or dedicated software?

Very few people have the email address I am referring to since it is a biz email. And somehow whatever spam email is in there, is also in my personal one. Odd to me. I don't buy online using the other email. I read it thru the webmail provided by Spectrum.

Now I have 6 more spams in that biz email. Some doubles. And I have 4 in my personal email which are the same spam emails that are in my other one.

Last edited by sundog2; 08-28-2019 at 05:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2019, 06:15 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,771,359 times
Gmail does an alright job. I also put a bunch in the spam dumpster. Once in a while the filter stops filtering, so unsubscribe from the marketing emails is something I have been trying to mitigate.

Old 08-29-2019, 07:54 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,473,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundog2 View Post
Very few people have the email address I am referring to since it is a biz email. And somehow whatever spam email is in there, is also in my personal one. Odd to me. I don't buy online using the other email. I read it thru the webmail provided by Spectrum.

Now I have 6 more spams in that biz email. Some doubles. And I have 4 in my personal email which are the same spam emails that are in my other one.
Please explain biz email?

You don't have to buy online for someone to have your email. All you have to do is type that email into a form of any kind. When you sign up for anything, when you register for anything, City Data included, someone has your email. Not everyone respects privacy as they should. Even cookies can reveal your email without you submitting anything to anybody. You talk of 6 and 4 spam emails, that doesn't sound like much to me. Call yourself lucky.

In my experience, it's almost impossible to avoid ALL spam. Therefore, you filter it out, that is what people do. That is why everyone has a "junk" folder in their email. It's a fact of life.

Depending on the provider, webmail may or may not have good spam filtering. If you want to block or filter more of it, use an email client. There are some good free ones. I personally stay away from ISP provided emails like Spectrum. Get an email that you can keep for life, not one that's tied to an ISP.

The following is from Spectrum.
Protection From Spam and Email Viruses
https://www.spectrum.net/support/int...edirected=true

Spectrum does send spam according to this, maybe you should find another provider as I mentioned. It doesn't surprise me one bit. Spam from Spectrum should be easy to spot though?
Customers Buried in Unwanted Spectrum Junk Mail: Here’s How to Opt Out

Last edited by gguerra; 08-29-2019 at 08:28 AM..

Old 01-23-2020, 09:50 AM

6 posts, read 2,051 times
Default The following are 7 of the best free email accounts you can sign up for right now.

Gmail. You knew Google was going to top this list, right? ...
Yahoo Mail. A few years ago, Yahoo Mail never would have made it on this list. ...
Outlook.com. ...
ProtonMail. ...
GMX Email. ...
AOL Mail. ...
Yandex Mail.

Old 01-24-2020, 05:11 PM

8,918 posts, read 4,645,770 times
Quote:
Yahoo Mail. A few years ago, Yahoo Mail never would have made it on this list. ...
Really? Where did you find out that they have actually changed?

Old 01-24-2020, 05:39 PM

4,863 posts, read 4,801,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
Really? Where did you find out that they have actually changed?
I have a yahoo email account and rarely get spam.

10 or more years ago, they allowed much more email and, for awhile, would pass it through to users if the sender paid them a fee.

Old 01-25-2020, 04:48 PM

124 posts, read 113,721 times
I am getting spammed to no end by Yahoo! Have noticed a steady uptick in the past 6 months. It’s getting so bad that I’m considering shutting it down.

Old 01-26-2020, 06:51 AM

8,918 posts, read 4,645,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidModUSA View Post
I am getting spammed to no end by Yahoo! Have noticed a steady uptick in the past 6 months. It’s getting so bad that I’m considering shutting it down.
Just to clarify:
Do you have a Yahoo account,?
or does the spam come from a Yahoo account,?
or both?

I have noticed that anyone with a Hotmail account can't email me at Gmail. I wonder if this is due to Hotmail being used by spammers, or it Google just doesn't like Microsoft :LoL:

Old 01-27-2020, 07:05 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,689,232 times
GGuerra is providing great advice here. The fact that you are getting identical spam in 2 separate accounts tells me this is a you problem. You gave someone an address you shouldn't have. or someone is flat out messing with you.
This is not the fault of whatever provider you are using.

As GG already asked: how are you reading your email.

Old 01-31-2020, 09:26 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,284,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundog2 View Post

Bottom line, your email was sold or given to someone. Of course, if your email is generic enough, it can also just be guessed. Like if your name is john.smith. It's not exactly too hard to email various combinations to a specific domain.

There is no such thing as email providers without spam. Email is a communication tool. You need to provide your email address in order to communicate. Once you give that out, you are no longer in control of how that piece of information is disseminated. Email providers simply provide the infrastructure to route said mail. The difference here is who has the more effective tools to deal with SPAM or unwanted email. After all depending on what study you look at - SPAM makes up 45% or more of all email that is out there. In my experience in running email systems for organizations. It's more like 90% of all email traffic is SPAM.

I have over half a dozen personal gmail accounts. One of them I use exclusively to sign up for things or give to vendors/marketers. If I empty my SPAM folder for that account first thing in the AM, it would have about 400 at the end of the day. Especially if its Tuesday or Wednesday (for some reason, that when I get the most). One I use with friends and family, I get maybe 1 every so often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet