Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2019, 12:38 PM

5,251 posts, read 3,121,295 times

Advertisements

I use Chrome as a browser most often in incognito mode on my work laptop. (No nefarious reason, I just don't like user names/passwords etc. remembered)

I've noticed a recent trend that some news websites are now asking to "allow cookies" and it's either do so, or don't read the article. Are these cookies stored somewhere or are they discarded after the session? It's just news websites so I'm not using my credit card or anything, but I was just curious more than anything.

I know that some sites like LA Times and Boston Globe won't let you read any article in incognito mode, but I was just wondering what's the purpose of incognito browsing if you're going to allow cookies anyway?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2019, 12:47 PM

1,210 posts, read 876,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSox 15 View Post
I use Chrome as a browser most often in incognito mode
Can you get Ad Block Plus to work in incognito mode? It didn't seem to work for me - that is, I still got ads.
About the cookies, not sure if I have an answer but on a side note, when I reach a limit on NY Times for example, I just delete all my nytimes.com cookies and I can read more articles.

Old 08-03-2019, 05:31 AM

41,815 posts, read 50,770,941 times
Quote:
I use Chrome as a browser most often in incognito mode on my work laptop. (No nefarious reason, I just don't like user names/passwords etc. remembered)

I've noticed a recent trend that some news websites are now asking to "allow cookies" and it's either do so, or don't read the article. Are these cookies stored somewhere or are they discarded after the session? It's just news websites so I'm not using my credit card or anything, but I was just curious more than anything.

I know that some sites like LA Times and Boston Globe won't let you read any article in incognito mode, but I was just wondering what's the purpose of incognito browsing if you're going to allow cookies anyway?

When you are using incognito mode or whatever it may be called in other browsers the temp files, cookies and anything else are only stored for as long as the browser is open.

Old 08-05-2019, 07:32 AM

5,251 posts, read 3,121,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
When you are using incognito mode or whatever it may be called in other browsers the temp files, cookies and anything else are only stored for as long as the browser is open.
Yes that's what I thought. I just found it odd that the websites, knowing the cookies are going to be deleted anyway, still ask for permission. Perhaps the websites can't tell the difference between someone in incognito mode and someone who just does not accept cookies. (if I have that terminology right).

Old 08-05-2019, 08:08 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,630,407 times
Quote:
Yes that's what I thought. I just found it odd that the websites, knowing the cookies are going to be deleted anyway, still ask for permission. Perhaps the websites can't tell the difference between someone in incognito mode and someone who just does not accept cookies. (if I have that terminology right).
Ideally you don't want the website to know that anything is different, so it's the browser that's doing the work. If web sites could figure out that you were using an incognito window, then they could try to work around it somehow, or block you while using it (some sites have figured out ways to tell in the past, and browsers have had to do additional work to block these methods).

Most sites that are prompting you for cookies are doing so in order to comply with various laws that require them to disclose that they use cookies, and what they use them for.

Old 08-05-2019, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Yes that's what I thought. I just found it odd that the websites, knowing the cookies are going to be deleted anyway, still ask for permission.

The web site doesn't know you are using incognito mode.

Old 08-05-2019, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
Most sites that are prompting you for cookies are doing so in order to comply with various laws that require them to disclose that they use cookies, and what they use them for.

They are complying with the GDPR from Europe, unless you are logging into the site the only way they have of tracking your acceptance of cookies is a cookie so you'll get the same message about cookies every visit if using private browsing.

Old 08-05-2019, 09:15 AM

1,210 posts, read 876,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
The web site doesn't know you are using incognito mode.
I may have missed something above but I've been notified by websites that I am browsing in [an] incognito mode and that due to that, my viewing will be limited.

Old 08-05-2019, 09:31 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,630,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_Native View Post
I may have missed something above but I've been notified by websites that I am browsing in [an] incognito mode and that due to that, my viewing will be limited.
Yep, Chrome disables some features when in incognito mode, and web developers have figured out how to detect that.

Google announced earlier this year that they were working on solutions to these known detection methods, but I'm not sure how many have made it into production yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet