Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2019, 12:01 PM

1,168 posts, read 2,398,311 times

Advertisements

I have a Dell Inspiron 15 3000 laptop for which I had to replace the hard drive back around April. Immediately after, I was having difficulty connecting to the internet. It would make a wi-fi connection, but would not recognize the internet. (I knew the internet was up as my other laptop and my TV connected fine.) It did this sporadically for a while, then the problem seemed to go away.

Last night, my ISP went down and when it came back up, the problem was back. Wi-fi connection was okay, but I had a hard time getting it to connect to the internet. It finally did, then this afternoon, it pulled the same thing again. As I am typing this on my Dell, it obviously finally connected. But does anyone have any idea what is causing this?

As I said, it is not my ISP, as my second laptop and my TV work just fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2019, 02:31 PM

1,210 posts, read 888,900 times
Is your modem also a wireless access point OR do you use a wireless router?
Do you have a USB wifi stick you could use to bypass the laptop wifi? Maybe you have a bad wifi HW in the laptop?
I assume all the drivers are installed.
Can you access your laptop from the other laptop sharing folders or even remote desktop?

Old 08-06-2019, 04:25 AM

Appreciate the response.

My router is wired to my modem if that's what you are asking.

I do not have a wifi stick.

The people shop that sent my laptop back to Dell for the new hard drive checked all the drivers when I told them the problem.

I don't quite understand the last question.

Old 08-06-2019, 05:21 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,574,786 times
for diagnosing stuff like this i usually boot up a gnu/linux live-usb to determine if its an real hardware problem or some random microsoft windows glitch.

Old 08-06-2019, 06:53 AM

1,680 posts, read 2,558,637 times
I had a similar problem with my new HP laptop with windows 10. My old laptop with windows 7 had no problem connecting to the internet. Both were using Comcast internet via a wifi modem/router box to Comcast. TV worked fine.

After several days of using the HP help feature on the laptop to troubleshoot and connect to the internet - it told me to unplug the Comcast power cord from the wall, wait a few minutes and then reboot the entire system. Took 5 minutes for the TV to reboot. After that both laptops had no problems using the wifi connection and have had no problems since.

Not sure why a total system reboot solved the problem I was having with just my one laptop - but it fixed the problem.

Old 08-06-2019, 07:20 AM

1,210 posts, read 888,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary2014 View Post
unplug the Comcast power cord from the wall, wait a few minutes and then reboot the entire system. Took 5 minutes for the TV to reboot. After that both laptops had no problems using the wifi connection and have had no problems since.
Yep. I forgot to mention this. Thing is, this seems to solve "all or nothing" problems....he seems to be getting intermittent problems but yes, completely shutting down and letting the modems, routers, and wireless interface cards have a fresh handshake is a good idea.

Old 08-11-2019, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary2014 View Post
I had a similar problem with my new HP laptop with windows 10. My old laptop with windows 7 had no problem connecting to the internet. Both were using Comcast internet via a wifi modem/router box to Comcast. TV worked fine.

After several days of using the HP help feature on the laptop to troubleshoot and connect to the internet - it told me to unplug the Comcast power cord from the wall, wait a few minutes and then reboot the entire system. Took 5 minutes for the TV to reboot. After that both laptops had no problems using the wifi connection and have had no problems since.

Not sure why a total system reboot solved the problem I was having with just my one laptop - but it fixed the problem.
Yes. I've rebooted the system....many times. That doesn't appear to be the issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet