Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2019, 05:28 PM

15,534 posts, read 15,551,422 times

Advertisements

Andrew Marantz has a new book out about trolling and extremism, and this is something he wrote mostly about Reddit's problems.

Reddit and the Struggle to Detoxify the Internet
How do we fix life online without limiting free speech?

To its devotees, Reddit feels proudly untamed, one of the last Internet giants to resist homogeneity. Most Reddit pages have a throwback aesthetic, with a few crudely designed graphics and a tangle of text: an original post, comments on the post, responses to the comments, responses to the responses. That’s pretty much it. Reddit is made up of more than a million individual communities, or subreddits, some of which have three subscribers, some twenty million.
https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...y-the-internet
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2019, 09:36 PM

4,663 posts, read 3,839,047 times
I love Reddit. It's probably my main social media site I hang out in. It's definitely a younger crowd than here. Here I feel young & there I feel like an old person.

Old 10-11-2019, 08:12 AM

6,569 posts, read 11,233,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by everwinter View Post
I love Reddit. It's probably my main social media site I hang out in. It's definitely a younger crowd than here. Here I feel young & there I feel like an old person.
I felt the same why - but when age is mentioned, its always refreshing to see that the range is WIDE. Of course, the sub you're on makes a huge difference. I'm subscribed to a sub for my alma mater. And it makes sense that most are current students vs. me, who graduated over 20 years ago.

But definitely my goto for just about anything. From latest news to what is this grass in my yard.

To the original topic - I don't see Reddit having a monopoly on this. In fact, I feel it polices itself pretty well. I often see more vitriol on youtube comments. So much so that I've never been inclined to participate in any of those discussions/comments. It's rarely even useful comments.

But this is the world we live in. You now have the opportunity to converse with people around the globe. As a result, you're going to get a wide range of perspectives, opinions, and motives.

Old 10-11-2019, 08:51 AM

161 posts, read 101,738 times
I found Redditers to be rude & hostile in general, so much so that I deleted my account and stopped visiting. This forum more civilized in comparison.

Old 10-11-2019, 10:23 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,433,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peony86 View Post
I found Redditers to be rude & hostile in general, so much so that I deleted my account and stopped visiting. This forum more civilized in comparison.
Quite a generalization, there are literally millions of members and not all are rude and hostile.

I'm not so easily swayed. I enjoy the challenge and a good debate and can throw it back as well as the next guy.

We are all anonymous anyway, it's not like we are face to face.

I too feel old (and am) but don't care, I don't let on to it.

What I have noticed though is sort of a cult mentality, it pisses me off frankly.

Old 10-11-2019, 03:45 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,961,770 times
TLDR. I use Reddit for certain things, mostly news and hobbies. The general population appears to be mostly young males (at least that's what they like to think), but the subs have different demographics, of course. As far as toxicity, yes, in some places. I suppose it depends on your definition of toxicity though.

Last edited by oldgardener; 10-11-2019 at 04:30 PM..

Old 10-13-2019, 07:26 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,546,425 times
their d.n.a. is non-censored open information. one of the co-founders for reddit stole a bunch of m.i.t. research projects on military weapons projects, pharmaceutical research while in college. he unfortunately committed suicide while in prison.

Old 10-14-2019, 07:14 AM

16,501 posts, read 19,575,896 times
Just like nearly everything online today, and just like real life: Reddit is what YOU make of it.

If you're in a toxic sub, maybe get out of that one?!? Stop participating in that sub?

There's no toxicity in /r/People****ingDying (Censored by CD but it's a cute sub of things that make people... die from laughter.)
/r/AnimalsBeingJerks or
/r/blues/ or
/r/DiWHY/...
The 'Struggle to Detoxify the Internet...' Give me a break.

Old 10-14-2019, 04:50 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,125,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by everwinter View Post
Funny! I peeked in there once or twice, but it just looked too sprawling and chaotic for me.

Old 10-14-2019, 05:25 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,333,025 times
I hated Reddit. The weight loss sections of Reddit were just full of people posting selfies of their bodies, and that was it. It wasn't people banding together to share weight loss tips or helpful information. They just wanted to show off their bodies, that was literally it. It was so gross, I left that place and I'm glad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet