Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2019, 04:12 PM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Would you give your user ID and Password to a gust who is visiting you at home. Not a friend, a guest for a meeting at my house, and I know him. H asked for the info. to get on to the internet. I gave it to him but was a bit concerned.
Would you give it out under the same circumstances? Should I bother changing my password now? My wifi is only inside the house through my cable service.
You should NOT give him or any of your future house guests your ID and password, which would allow them access to all YOUR stuff on the computer/internet.
You should create a guest WiFi network.
A guest WiFi network is a great way to give house guests access to the Internet without sharing your primary WiFi password or giving them access to everything on your main network.
With a guest Wi-Fi network, your guests can stream, surf, check their email, and connect to the Internet since they are on a secondary network. They do not have access to your main or primary network, keeping your files, data and personal information safe.

Here is a detailed instruction:
https://www.lifewire.com/guest-netwo...utorial-818204
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2019, 04:48 PM

15,965 posts, read 7,027,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
You should NOT give him or any of your future house guests your ID and password, which would allow them access to all YOUR stuff on the computer/internet.
You should create a guest WiFi network.
A guest WiFi network is a great way to give house guests access to the Internet without sharing your primary WiFi password or giving them access to everything on your main network.
With a guest Wi-Fi network, your guests can stream, surf, check their email, and connect to the Internet since they are on a secondary network. They do not have access to your main or primary network, keeping your files, data and personal information safe.

Here is a detailed instruction:
https://www.lifewire.com/guest-netwo...utorial-818204
If I were to give our guest my password and id, how can they get into what is on my PC? Or my sites on the web? Can you please explain? Thank you

Old 11-06-2019, 06:45 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,248,009 times
Quote:
If I were to give our guest my password and id, how can they get into what is on my PC? Or my sites on the web? Can you please explain? Thank you
It’s possible if you have sharing enabled without restrictions that someone on the same network can discover devices or folders.

Old 11-07-2019, 06:57 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
Quote:
Oh come on... Do NOT be that paranoid. This is a GUEST he welcomed into his home. Probably a random sales guy?!?

Do you think some random sales person is going to come back later to try and hack into your network?!? Really? Is there something about this guest, cb2008, that makes you not trust them? Do you think he's some kind of super hacker that's going to sit in on the street outside your house on your wifi waiting for you to turn your computer on??!?

Can we please not be that paranoid?!?!?

Old 11-07-2019, 07:39 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,768,427 times
Quote:
I just wanted to know if I should be since password security is always stressed. Well good to know that it is one thing I don’t have to worry about
Password security is as important as the resource that is being accessed by that PW. Bank accounts are obviously highly important. Wifi is pretty far down the list. Years ago people used to steal Internet access because it was expensive and limited. That is not the case any more. I don't worry about anyone stealing my bandwidth so pretty much give our wifi PW to anyone, like contractors who work on our house for instance. It has never resulted in any problems for us.

[edit] I would not give my wifi password to a neighbor who is close enough to access our network from his house.

Old 11-07-2019, 07:40 AM

804 posts, read 545,587 times
I honesty would not care at all who has my password or uses my internet at all. I see people burning it like crazy all night and day long.

investigations of your network using anti-privacy exploits ( which is illegal ) is not immediate. So even if they were doing anything wrong it would have to actually be doing something for a long time on multiple levels. Which takes months if not years. They would also need a valid reason to investigate a person of interest. Even money evasion, controlled-substances, trafficking, and prostitution is ignored ( not actually taking for interest ) in-comparison to other activity.

You have to be a child to make a big deal about your internet nowadays rather then reading reports of unfriendly relationships of employees and managers. Like where I am from my phone company favors Asians above other minority groups and is holding back renewing contracts trying to short change employees. While another company targets Latinos and another targets. So I would rather care about discrimination by these companies I am getting my internet from rather then who uses my internet line.

Internet is internet and you shouldn't be paranoid about who uses it at all. In fact we all should be able to get internet for free if it was being taxed and we slim down services of these companies. However it being privatized give you multiple options but the cost of services varies.

Old 11-07-2019, 10:52 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,581 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Sure, but only for our "guest" wifi, not the one we use just for our family. We will change our guest wifi password as soon as the last guest using it has left. When we go to wifi on our devices, there are no less than 20 wifi systems listed, and we are not in a dense residential area (12,000+ sf lots). Most people have two or more. In some areas I would bet that there are people driving around even in residential areas to find insecure wifi so they can park and use it, if there is no Starbucks or McDonalds around.

Old 11-07-2019, 12:49 PM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
In some areas I would bet that there are people driving around even in residential areas to find insecure wifi so they can park and use it, if there is no Starbucks or McDonalds around.
Yea, I doubt that. Even the least techy amongst us knows how to set a password on their wifi.

Old 11-07-2019, 12:59 PM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Oh come on... Do NOT be that paranoid. This is a GUEST he welcomed into his home. Probably a random sales guy?!?

Do you think some random sales person is going to come back later to try and hack into your network?!? Really? Is there something about this guest, cb2008, that makes you not trust them? Do you think he's some kind of super hacker that's going to sit in on the street outside your house on your wifi waiting for you to turn your computer on??!?

Can we please not be that paranoid?!?!?
I understand that OP has given his guest a complete, 100% access to his computer while the guest was visiting. When the guest logs in as OP, then he has an access to everything on the computer like the OP.
If you are in the same room and glance over from time to time to see what your guest is doing then it's ok, I guess, but if you are out and about, then I wouldn't risk it.

OP said this was not a friend, just someone he knows. And we aren't talking about Wi-Fi, but about the login and password to OP's computer.

Old 11-07-2019, 02:47 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,768,427 times
Quote:
And we aren't talking about Wi-Fi, but about the login and password to OP's computer.
The title of the thread is "WiFi password to guests" so it is my assumption he is indeed talking about his WiFi network password, not his home computer. At least that is how I answered the question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet