U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2020, 12:09 PM

5,084 posts, read 8,959,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
I've had issues with our wifi, maybe starting around the time of lockdown, or maybe just before, can't quite remember. Goes off in the morning around 8:30 or 9 (I'm pushing it now because it's about that time) and then is intermittent the rest of the day.

I've made umpteen calls to Xfinity, got a new modem/router, complained until I'm blue in the face; and just yesterday one of the tech guys at Xfinity said well why don't you get wired up, that feed is more reliable, etc.etc.

My question is - do people feel this is a "lockdown" problem and might go away, or will Comcast be forever offering service that is not reliable from now on and using this issue as an excuse? I've ordered my 50 foot of cable and my ethernet/USB connector and I'll be ok, but really - is this life from now on? Do I have to order another 50 feet for spouse and we're both tethered to the router forever? Will service actually be better? Should I continue to complain to Comcast? Is anyone else having this problem?
Based on the info you provided, there is no way to tell what the issue is.

When you say "Goes off in the morning..." what does that mean? The wifi failed? Or you lost connection to the Internet? Do all of your devices lose access? Or just a few?

The same goes for "intermittent".

Wifi is RF based, and it can be interfered with by various things. If your router is near the kitchen, and you cook breakfast at 8:30 in the morning, it may very well be your microwave (unlikely, but possible).

Unfortunately with these companies - you often have to pinpoint the issue for them and drive the point home.

What I would do is try to pinpoint the issue. If it's like clockwork that it goes out at 8:30.... then look at the router at 8:30... does it actually lose it's WAN connection (the connection that take you to the internet)? Or are there other lights that go off?

Or you can even wire a laptop to it - if you still can't get to the internet. Then you have your answer - it's likely not the wifi signal. It's either the feed from Comcast or your router. You can further confirm this by trying to print something via wifi. If you can print from a wifi device, but can't access the internet... then that tells me the wifi is working, something else is wrong. It's like plumbing, you're trying to figure out there that kink in the hose is.

One issue I see is that since it sounds like everything is being provided from the router provided by Comcast, you may not have a clear answer other than "it's something with the router".

Telling you to use a wire is simply them trying to get you off their backs... it does nothing to help you.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2020, 12:49 PM

3,366 posts, read 1,939,862 times
OK, this is happening when we're just sitting around in the morning after breakfast, getting our emails for the first time of the day, looking up stuff, etc. Suddenly both laptops will lose the signal, and if we check our phones (which are set to use wifi if possible) they will say "wifi has no internet." I actually think I've gone in and checked the router to see if all the little lights are doing their usual thing, but not actually sure. For sure whenever I have gone in and looked all looked normal.

Then half an hour later, or an hour later, the signal will come back. It might go off one or more times in the morning and the same in the afternoon or evening. I don't check it all the time. When this happens everything that uses wifi - Roku, laptops, phones, etc., - is affected.

I have ordered a wire and ethernet to USB connector (my laptop has no ethernet port) If this works I still don't have a solution to the general problem, but Comcast is being very cagey about investigating it. They offered to come out if I would agree to a $70 fee, to be charged only if they find something that is my responsibility, not theirs. I'm trying the wire first.

Old 04-24-2020, 03:56 PM

14,102 posts, read 7,116,172 times
Quote:
OK, this is happening when we're just sitting around in the morning after breakfast, getting our emails for the first time of the day, looking up stuff, etc. Suddenly both laptops will lose the signal, and if we check our phones (which are set to use wifi if possible) they will say "wifi has no internet." I actually think I've gone in and checked the router to see if all the little lights are doing their usual thing, but not actually sure. For sure whenever I have gone in and looked all looked normal.

Then half an hour later, or an hour later, the signal will come back. It might go off one or more times in the morning and the same in the afternoon or evening. I don't check it all the time. When this happens everything that uses wifi - Roku, laptops, phones, etc., - is affected.

I have ordered a wire and ethernet to USB connector (my laptop has no ethernet port) If this works I still don't have a solution to the general problem, but Comcast is being very cagey about investigating it. They offered to come out if I would agree to a $70 fee, to be charged only if they find something that is my responsibility, not theirs. I'm trying the wire first.
Not a bad idea to try wired first. If it drops along with wireless you can be sure it’s on Xfinity.

Old 04-24-2020, 07:37 PM

5,084 posts, read 8,959,381 times
Quote:

That tells me your wifi is still working. Basically, that message is telling you that the device is connected to the wifi network, but it can't get out to the Internet.

That said - it can still be the router itself, or something wrong with the demarc/inbound connection. If you have admin access to the router, you should be able to login and see what's up...especially if this goes on for 30-60min at a time. There may even be logs that you can pull.

Old 04-26-2020, 07:55 AM

5,047 posts, read 3,535,462 times
If you can get to the router settings, you can try changing the channel. There are a total of 16 channels for 2.4ghz but some overlap. Using channel 1, 6 or 11 will assure no overlap. Try any one of these one at a time to see if helps. You could also try 5ghz but some of devices may not support it.

You should have some Ethernet ports on the router, get yourself a patch cable and plug in your laptop to one of the ports. If/when you have issues with wifi go see if your wired connection (wired laptop) is still working the way it should. If it is, that should tell you it's wifi and not your internet connection. They are not mutually exclusive. You could also try running speed tests from the wired laptop to compare to one of your wireless devices.

Old 04-27-2020, 06:58 AM

Yes, I've ordered and received the 50 foot cable (they give you one with the router but it's only 6 feet long and I don't fancy sitting on the floor to do any computing). The trouble is the connector, since I don't have an Ethernet port on my laptop. One is ordered but they're apparently in short supply (pandemic problems again?) so it's going to take a little longer getting here. I'm not going out in the world to buy one in a store. If I could even find one.

Old 05-01-2020, 02:56 PM

7,785 posts, read 5,048,140 times
Quote:
yep - 2 laptops, 1 Roku, 2 phones (for phoning mostly), very very occasionally 1 extra tablet (but I've forgotten the PW for it so guess we can really count that one out), and the new TV digital box seems to get unhappy when the internet goes out (even when not on Roku).

Will have to figure out all that other language in both your posts.
Turn off all your devices on your wifi, then look at the activity on your Lan side of your router. If it is quiet you probably don't have someone using your wifi without your knowledge. If it is still showing lots of activity, one of your neighbors might be on your system, bogging it down.

Old 05-02-2020, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
Turn off all your devices on your wifi, then look at the activity on your Lan side of your router. If it is quiet you probably don't have someone using your wifi without your knowledge. If it is still showing lots of activity, one of your neighbors might be on your system, bogging it down.
Right now I'm in a condo, 4 floors, with what looks like a Comcast post out back (little light green metal-covered things) every column of 4. So I guess it's possible apartments #1036, 2036, 3036, and 4036 might be on one cable? Or perhaps there are 4 wires running from the main box wherever it is, to our particular post. But it doesn't matter anyway - about neighbors being on the wire - because the 3 other occupants in our column have gone back to their homes for the summer. (We didn't get out in time and are stuck here)

Or did you mean illegal persons using the system somehow? But mine is secured; how could that happen? I'll check anyway next time we're both off our laptops.

Old 05-04-2020, 04:32 AM

14,128 posts, read 21,894,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post

Simply changing the password would lock out the neighbors from using their wifi, wouldn't it?

Old 05-04-2020, 04:34 AM

14,128 posts, read 21,894,536 times
Quote:
Right now I'm in a condo, 4 floors, with what looks like a Comcast post out back (little light green metal-covered things) every column of 4. So I guess it's possible apartments #1036, 2036, 3036, and 4036 might be on one cable? Or perhaps there are 4 wires running from the main box wherever it is, to our particular post. But it doesn't matter anyway - about neighbors being on the wire - because the 3 other occupants in our column have gone back to their homes for the summer. (We didn't get out in time and are stuck here)

Or did you mean illegal persons using the system somehow? But mine is secured; how could that happen? I'll check anyway next time we're both off our laptops.
He means they may have figure out your wifi password, or found some way to connect to your wifi.

He didn't mention:
It's an Xfinity Modem/router. Xfinity uses it to provide a hotspot. They won't be able to turn that off. The only way is to get their own router.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet