Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2020, 06:58 AM

4,606 posts, read 3,298,895 times

Advertisements

OK folks, I received the connector yesterday and I got my smug face on and plugged the cable and connector into the router. Guess what? First time the signal went off to the wifi, it also went off to me on the cord. No internet! Router just sat there blinking nicely with no idea it wasn't getting the job done. I guess my next step is to ring Comcast and threaten to stop service in order to get them to come out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2020, 09:20 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,473,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
OK folks, I received the connector yesterday and I got my smug face on and plugged the cable and connector into the router. Guess what? First time the signal went off to the wifi, it also went off to me on the cord. No internet! Router just sat there blinking nicely with no idea it wasn't getting the job done. I guess my next step is to ring Comcast and threaten to stop service in order to get them to come out.
You need to call them while it's down. They should be able to check the modem/router from their end and identify the problem. Tell them it's been happening over and over. They will tell you to restart or whatever to get it going but bottom line, it's dropping at the source. Threatening to disconnect is not necessary.

First step should be to have them run a new cable to your house. The problem could be at their central office as well. Take it in steps.

Is it a combo modem/router?

Old 05-04-2020, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post

Is it a combo modem/router?
Yes, that's one of the first things they did - provide a new modem/router. They could do that easily because all they had to do was put it in the mail.

Old 05-04-2020, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Yes, that's one of the first things they did - provide a new modem/router. They could do that easily because all they had to do was put it in the mail.
If that was a replacement to fix the same problem, it's not likely the modem/router. It's something in the cable itself or more likely a bad switch or something at the main office, something that goes out at the same time everyday as you describe. A bad cable run doesn't usually have a specific time of day associated with it.

Call them when it's NOT working.

Old 05-05-2020, 06:45 AM

I rang them this morning when the service was out. The robot sent a reset which of course worked, so now I'm waiting for their callback to see if it worked. Guess I'll say yes, but they've done this before numerous times. We'll see if I get any further this morning, because now I've bought and tried the wire I have this one extra piece of info for them

Old 05-05-2020, 07:19 AM

Quote:
I rang them this morning when the service was out. The robot sent a reset which of course worked, so now I'm waiting for their callback to see if it worked. Guess I'll say yes, but they've done this before numerous times. We'll see if I get any further this morning, because now I've bought and tried the wire I have this one extra piece of info for them
There are (or should be) lights on the router that can tell you different things. Those lights all mean something especially to cable company. The "online" light should be the most obvious one. When your service goes out does that remain lit? Next time you are down, bypass the robot and insist on speaking to a person. Also, ask for tech support and not just customer service. You need to speak to a higher level tech about this and explain how it goes out every day at the same time. This should not be happening and you need to put your foot down.

Old 05-05-2020, 10:12 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,241,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
There are (or should be) lights on the router that can tell you different things. Those lights all mean something especially to cable company. The "online" light should be the most obvious one. When your service goes out does that remain lit? Next time you are down, bypass the robot and insist on speaking to a person. Also, ask for tech support and not just customer service. You need to speak to a higher level tech about this and explain how it goes out every day at the same time. This should not be happening and you need to put your foot down.
Agree - ask for a "Level 2 tech". They can do more than reset the modem remotely and will look at the diagnostics as well as run things remotely. A big thing for them to check is the S/N ratio on the line and other metrics that will show if it's likely a line issue or something else.

Old 05-05-2020, 01:11 PM

Well, how do you get past the robot? This morning I called when the internet was out, as mentioned by gguera above. When you do that, you get the robot. Only choice that can be made is get your router reset. Or not. So I got it reset. When the robot called back to see if it was working, I stupidly said yes, thinking we would discuss it. Reply: "Great! Have a nice day!" (hangup) Half an hour later when it went out again I called again, having decided I wouldn't say yes this time. When asked if I wanted a reset, I said no. This prompted a scolding by the robot and no matter how many times I said "agent," or "speak to a tech person" it became apparent I was not going to get anywhere without a reset. Did reset (again). When the robot called back to see if system was now working I said no (altho it actually was). Went round and round and finally got connected to Hope, who was very nice and messed with me for about 10 minutes and then hung up on me (inadvertently or not - who knows?). Start over. Get to same point again after another half hour, talk to Cynthia, who listened to me and said I would not be able to access the ethernet unless I reset my modem beforehand. I don't believe this because I am sitting here right now wired up, just because I happen to be back in this room with the wire, and husband is in the front room wireless. However, she connected me with a tech team member who was a Chinese girl with a heavy accent, at least 2 kids in the background, and her cell phone was breaking up so badly I haven't the slightest idea what she said although I asked every other sentence for her to repeat it. She left me with an open ticket number, which I dutifully wrote down, after 3 tries to understand what she was saying. Because of the transmission problems I have no idea what transpired on the phone call and what the open ticket is all about and who is supposed to take the next step. At this point I had spent about 2 hours on the phone.

Meantime the internet went out 2 more times today, and it's only 3 PM. I'm really fed up. Sorry for the rant.

Old 05-05-2020, 01:25 PM

Since I don't know your specifics, I can only offer suggestions.

I don't even know what city it is but I googled it for you. Find another way is what you need to do.

You did say it was Xfinity, right?

Log in, chat, put in a service request, whatever you need to do. They appear to have forums. I would start with a chat.
https://www.xfinity.com/support/

I googled a bit more for you.
How to Reach a Real Person at AT&T, Xfinity, Cox and More
https://clark.com/technology/how-to-...ctrum-charter/

Try this
Quote:
How to reach a real person at Comcast / Xfinity

Phone: Comcast’s official customer service number is 800-945-2288, but I called 800-266-2278 to talk to a human. You may have to enter a lot of personal information to get connected.

When I called: The automated voice gave options to either enter a phone number, an account number or new customer. I chose new customer.

How I got through: When it gave me more prompts, I hit 000. It eventually said, “To speak to a Comcast agent, press 0 now.” And that’s what I did.

Wait time: 3 minutes 34 seconds
Remember, ask for tech support.

I have Spectrum so I cannot help you directly.

Old 05-05-2020, 01:50 PM

Thank you. I will try these things when I calm down
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet