U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-06-2020, 05:04 AM
 
13,858 posts, read 6,996,585 times
Reputation: 13392

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Since I don't know your specifics, I can only offer suggestions.

I don't even know what city it is but I googled it for you. Find another way is what you need to do.

You did say it was Xfinity, right?

Log in, chat, put in a service request, whatever you need to do. They appear to have forums. I would start with a chat.
https://www.xfinity.com/support/

I googled a bit more for you.
How to Reach a Real Person at AT&T, Xfinity, Cox and More
https://clark.com/technology/how-to-...ctrum-charter/

Try this


Remember, ask for tech support.

I have Spectrum so I cannot help you directly.
Ask for tech support, and as soon as you speak with a Level 1 person they will first try and do the usual modem reset, etc. As you have a ticket already give them that number and ask for a Level 2 technician. A Level 1 really can’t help solve your problem.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-06-2020, 06:01 AM
 
Location: 49th parallel
3,341 posts, read 1,918,930 times
Reputation: 6932
Thank you, everyone. I'm not going to do it today because I don't have the two hours to spend on it that it usually takes. Even though I am just sitting here like everyone else Don't think I can face it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2020, 07:04 AM
 
Location: 49th parallel
3,341 posts, read 1,918,930 times
Reputation: 6932
Well, finally, finally! Someone is going to come out tomorrow morning. We just had the worst day yet yesterday, with internet service, and it's 9:02 AM today and the internet has already gone out twice, once right after the company reset. I probably will not even know when they come out tomorrow, because they are trying not to go into anyone's homes. But if he can look inside that little post and see connections, either there or in the big box, wherever it is, maybe he will find something. Fingers crossed.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2020, 06:25 PM
 
Location: McAllen, TX
5,009 posts, read 3,500,338 times
Reputation: 5898
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
Well, finally, finally! Someone is going to come out tomorrow morning. We just had the worst day yet yesterday, with internet service, and it's 9:02 AM today and the internet has already gone out twice, once right after the company reset. I probably will not even know when they come out tomorrow, because they are trying not to go into anyone's homes. But if he can look inside that little post and see connections, either there or in the big box, wherever it is, maybe he will find something. Fingers crossed.
For coaxial and probably for fiber too, they have a meter they hook up to test signal strength. It doesn't sound to me like that is the problem since it happens intermittently but it's hard to know for sure. Hopefully they are knowledgeable and able to properly diagnose the problem. Does it happen at random times or the same time?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2020, 07:53 AM
 
Location: 49th parallel
3,341 posts, read 1,918,930 times
Reputation: 6932
OK, the Comcast man's been and gone. He changed some connections outside but said he could tell that the problem was inside. He figures (can't come in because of the pandemonium, oops, pandemic) that there are multiple splitters in our condo, some of them inside the walls, and that these are causing the signal failures and outages. And this could be random or caused by heat or most anything. This wiring probably goes back to the 1970's and is old and tired, I expect. It will have to wait until people can come in. In the meantime I'm going to go around everywhere looking for connections and check them, altho I think I did that in months past.

Well, that's the story, and thank you everyone for your thoughts and submissions.

(Meantime the internet has been working steadily past its due time for it to be off, haha)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2020, 09:36 AM
 
13,858 posts, read 6,996,585 times
Reputation: 13392
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
OK, the Comcast man's been and gone. He changed some connections outside but said he could tell that the problem was inside. He figures (can't come in because of the pandemonium, oops, pandemic) that there are multiple splitters in our condo, some of them inside the walls, and that these are causing the signal failures and outages. And this could be random or caused by heat or most anything. This wiring probably goes back to the 1970's and is old and tired, I expect. It will have to wait until people can come in. In the meantime I'm going to go around everywhere looking for connections and check them, altho I think I did that in months past.

Well, that's the story, and thank you everyone for your thoughts and submissions.

(Meantime the internet has been working steadily past its due time for it to be off, haha)
If you had online diagnostics they would have been able to determine the signal to noise ratio and other metrics at the modem that point to an inside problem even before a person came to your home. Where is your condo in relation to the cable entrance?

Do you own the wiring to the condo? If not is the association responsible? Someone will need to rerun cable if modem keeps dropping out.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2020, 08:00 AM
 
Location: 49th parallel
3,341 posts, read 1,918,930 times
Reputation: 6932
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
If you had online diagnostics they would have been able to determine the signal to noise ratio and other metrics at the modem that point to an inside problem even before a person came to your home. Where is your condo in relation to the cable entrance?

Do you own the wiring to the condo? If not is the association responsible? Someone will need to rerun cable if modem keeps dropping out.
Yes, he said our signal was "outside the range" but ok to the post, but not ok inside. Don't know how he could check that if he was not inside, but...

Good point about who is responsible for re-wiring if that is needed. I will have to check that. The little post delivering all 4 wires to 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th floor condos is just behind our back windows. I could lean out and spit on him while he was working on it. But I didn't, I just spied on him from above.

Have had no trouble with internet since he left, despite all his dire predictions of his repair not really doing the job and inside work needed.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2020, 04:22 AM
 
Location: Metro Washington DC
14,114 posts, read 21,844,777 times
Reputation: 8871
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
Yes, he said our signal was "outside the range" but ok to the post, but not ok inside. Don't know how he could check that if he was not inside, but...

Good point about who is responsible for re-wiring if that is needed. I will have to check that. The little post delivering all 4 wires to 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th floor condos is just behind our back windows. I could lean out and spit on him while he was working on it. But I didn't, I just spied on him from above.

Have had no trouble with internet since he left, despite all his dire predictions of his repair not really doing the job and inside work needed.
They are only responsible for delivering access as far as the post that you mentioned. Beyond that point it is either the condos or your responsibility. That’s what he means. It’s not surprising that it’s working better now, but he didn’t fix anything yet. Perhaps his resetting your equipment is why it works better now.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2020, 04:58 AM
 
Location: 49th parallel
3,341 posts, read 1,918,930 times
Reputation: 6932
Well, I'm hoping, because I saw him cutting off ends of wires and inspecting the ends, and putting the connectors back onto the wires, etc.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2020, 07:05 AM
 
13,858 posts, read 6,996,585 times
Reputation: 13392
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
Well, I'm hoping, because I saw him cutting off ends of wires and inspecting the ends, and putting the connectors back onto the wires, etc.
Plus it sounds like you have a short run to your condo anyway.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top