U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2020, 09:11 AM

4,936 posts, read 3,430,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
They are only responsible for delivering access as far as the post that you mentioned. Beyond that point it is either the condos or your responsibility. That’s what he means. It’s not surprising that it’s working better now, but he didn’t fix anything yet. Perhaps his resetting your equipment is why it works better now.
Not in my experience. Unless Comcast is different, Spectrum which is what I use is responsible up to your modem. They run a line direct from their terminal (the post) to the inside of my house right up to the modem and will test it with a meter if necessary. If the line is faulty, you can request a new one. After that, it it is the customer's responsibility. I doubt the condo owners or rental company is equipped to do this type of work.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2020, 11:17 PM

3,763 posts, read 940,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Not only is wired up more reliable, it's more secure. If I have the opportunity, I always stay wired up.
I'm trying to get wired up, but the stores aren't selling equipment now. I ordered some cable and a new modem on amazon. Maybe next week..

Old 05-19-2020, 05:54 AM

14,069 posts, read 21,734,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Not in my experience. Unless Comcast is different, Spectrum which is what I use is responsible up to your modem. They run a line direct from their terminal (the post) to the inside of my house right up to the modem and will test it with a meter if necessary. If the line is faulty, you can request a new one. After that, it it is the customer's responsibility. I doubt the condo owners or rental company is equipped to do this type of work.
Comcast is/was different. I added the was because it was a few years ago when I dealt with them about this issue. At that time, they said that they were responsible for the lines and the line that goes to the house. Inside the house is not their responsibility, so they charge for the work if they need to fix something inside the house. I do not know if they are still like that, nor do I know if it is/was like that in all 50 states, or only in some states.

BTW, if we were using thrir modem, they might hake responsibility for it, but not for the wiring inside the home.

Old 05-21-2020, 02:31 PM

26,030 posts, read 19,159,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
This is an Xfinity problem. I doubt spending money to rewire your devices is going to help, but before you go that route, get them to come out and test the signal where it comes into your house.

I've had intermittent service on all my devices for nearly 2 years, have made 80 or 100 calls to Comcast, replaced the router twice, the co-axial plates twice (newer house with newer wiring), had umpteen service service calls, worked my way up the chain of command from the lowest tier of technician to regional tech manager, had 30 diagnostic tests, all agree the problem is NOT with anything in my house, replaced the underground wiring to the nearest pole, still have the problem, all agree the problem is upstream somewhere, and now....

CRICKETS.

No additional evaluation or work on this problem will be provided. Some days I can't even read and answer 30 emails because the signal drops every 5 seconds.

COMCAST SUCKS.
I could tell you the long, drawn out horror story of both Time Warner Cable and Spectrum (who later bought out or merged or whatever with TWC), which included a lot of people involved, numerous credits, 2 months for TWC, 30 service interruptions with Spectrum in 9 months, and still unresolved by the time I gave up and switched to AT&T which had just started coming into our area at the time, but I'll try to summarize, intead:

The problem with TWC? When I called to canx my cable tv, they climbed the pole and in the process of disconnecting my cable tv, they messed up the coupling somehow, and screwed up my internet. And I had told them that they had just come out to canx my cable tv, and still it took them 2 months to figure it out.

With Spectrum, it was over 30 service interruptions in 9 months, multiple times in a single day, sometimes, supervisors, managers, back office engineers who called me once a week, many credits, new equipment, numerous techs, they never did figure it out.

AT&T had just started coming into our area, so I switched. Two days after I got my service, the probelms started again. I contacted them, told them everything I'd gone through with Spectrum, they sent out their useless techs first, and then, finally, sent out a competent tech. Long story very short, Spectrum and AT&T shared "the last mile" (that box on the street near where you live to your house - they shared the same wiring), and the problem was that the wiring had not been grounded.

I went through all of that hell because of a coupling being messed up or bumped or whatever, and I went through even worse hell for almost a year due to wiring not being grounded.

It appears that anyone can be a "tech" with these companies, because not a damn one of them has a clue what they're doing - even on the phone - you have to get to a field tech who has no less than a decade of experience before you finally find someone who can possibly figure it out. With TWC, it was the field tech supervisor who finally figured it out. With Spectrum, those morons never did, it was an experienced AT&T tech with 20 years, who finally figured it out.

Old 05-21-2020, 03:23 PM

4,936 posts, read 3,430,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
It appears that anyone can be a "tech" with these companies, because not a damn one of them has a clue what they're doing
I have Spectrum and am well familiar with their "techs". I use the term loosely. The majority do not work for Spectrum directly but are subcontracted. If they drive an official Spectrum vehicle (van) with their logos painted all over the sides, they work with Spectrum. If they have magnetic signs pasted on their personal vehicles, they are contractors and for the most part only know enough to get by.

There is no AT&T in my area and even if there were, I consider them to be much worse than Spectrum as far as customer service goes. They are and always have been a nightmare to deal with at least from a business perspective and wireless service goes. I am not talking about field techs but the people you call when something goes wrong. In fact, their field techs are quite knowledgeable. Hopefully, their service will work for you but I would not wish that on my worst enemy. That is how bad they are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet