U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2020, 09:32 AM

1,443 posts, read 1,855,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Are you keeping their rental router? I bought an Arris 7400 on Amazon for under $100 and the installer tech said it was better than theirs.
I bought my own Arris router two years ago for about $100 - and I agree that it was a good move at the time and even better now. Two years ago Comcast charged $11 a month. Today Comcast charges $14 a month - so the savings get better and better each year.

I also installed it myself as well!

Right now my biggest challenge is trying to figure out what 90% of the buttons on the TV remotes are supposed to do. Remember the days when all they had was a power on, volume and change channel and number keys? Darn, I remember TV's before they even had remotes...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2020, 08:38 AM

13,062 posts, read 15,173,618 times
Just an FYI the current gen ROKU STREAMING STICK+
https://www.roku.com/products/streaming-stick-plus
And anything above that model actually will control the power and volume on most older TV's. I had been waiting for that forever. Came out just in time as the remote for my 10 year old Plasma TV just finally died.

Old 05-08-2020, 09:30 AM

15,758 posts, read 6,620,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Just an FYI the current gen ROKU STREAMING STICK+
https://www.roku.com/products/streaming-stick-plus
And anything above that model actually will control the power and volume on most older TV's. I had been waiting for that forever. Came out just in time as the remote for my 10 year old Plasma TV just finally died.

Mine is the latest Roku Ultra and it's (voice-enabled) remote controls power and volume, and will change input to HDMI-1 (which I'm using for Roku) but cannot put TV input back to Antenna for local OTA. If getting local channels through an app that's not an issue but frustrating to still need that TV remote for just that thing. Although I can set the TV to start up in Antenna mode so one workaround is turn off the TV and turn back on to go from an app to OTA.

Old 05-08-2020, 12:18 PM

1,443 posts, read 1,855,956 times
Well, it took most of the week to get everything squared away, but, I did manage to get everything accomplished. This morning I packed up the rental TV box and remote and dropped the box off at the UPS Store - so I have a tracking number to insure Comcast receives the returned rental equipment.

I had no problem getting thru to Comcast on their 800 number to cancel cable and to change my internet from Performance Pro to Performance. It helped that I had a copy of the Comcast Rate card for my local area so I was able to avoid any attempt to up sell me on a different plan. I simply told the customer service person to cancel cable and downgrade my internet to Performance and that according to the rate card in front of me the cost is $78 per month.

Had I done nothing the bill would have been monthly $135 (would have been $150 per month if I had not bought my own Router/Modem two years ago). So instead of paying Comcast $1800 a year it will be $936. Well worth the time and a few more grey hairs to get this done. My extra cost $28 for an indoor antenna and $30 for a Roku express needed for my 6+ year old Smart TV.

At this point I can access so many streaming things for free I will wait a bit to decide if I want to add a paid subscription. The nice thing about the paid subscriptions is not being locked into a long term contract.

Many thanks to all of you out there who helped me get this accomplished.

Old 05-08-2020, 02:38 PM

15,758 posts, read 6,620,038 times
$78/month for internet is pretty high. Unfortunately, there are only a few providers, if you're lucky. Some people switch between AT&T and Xfinity every year, taking advantage of the new subscriber deals. I'm currently paying $30/month for 1st year with Xfinity 100mbps. Then it says $55/mo. I'll decide in November to pay the extra $25 or do a 1 year $35/mo. ATT deal. TMO is rolling out 5G Home broadband for $50/mo all in but still not available for my location. Maybe soon.

Old 05-24-2020, 04:03 PM

337 posts, read 294,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post
Mary2014
...We bought a medium-sized inexpensive TCL Roku TV and a Roku Express device for our older family room TV to make it "smart" (connection is the red, white, yellow AV cords)...
Where did you find a ROKU with A/V output? There used to be a model call ROKU Express+, is that what you are referring to?
It's been off the market for more than a year, I only see used/reconditioned ones for sale at crazy prices that are higher than new.
I'd like one myself for an old TV but probably better to put the money towards a new set.

Old 05-25-2020, 07:18 AM

4,540 posts, read 13,500,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by halberto9 View Post
Where did you find a ROKU with A/V output? There used to be a model call ROKU Express+, is that what you are referring to?
It's been off the market for more than a year, I only see used/reconditioned ones for sale at crazy prices that are higher than new.
I'd like one myself for an old TV but probably better to put the money towards a new set.
It is the Roku Express+, and when I just googled it I was astounded to see the prices for it now! Wow! We paid I think $39.95 less than a year ago at walmart.com. Makes no sense given that Roku TVs, such as the TCL brand, are cheap so that the demand for a Roku Express+ would be low, thus logically would mean the price would be low. However, as is typical, consumers are pushed to buy new devices (ie. a new TV) rather than be given an affordable option to buy something that makes an old device like new (ie. turning an old TV into a smart TV). So, I guess I shouldn't be so astounded at the current price of a Roku Express+.

As an update ... I am not sure why it is happening, but a lag in sound has developed. Moving lips and the words being said are not perfectly in sync. It could be the device or the TV's age or the use of the AV cords or a less-strong signal from the router.

Old 05-25-2020, 08:58 AM

337 posts, read 294,972 times
To make matters even more confusing Wal-Mart is still selling a ROKU Express+ for $39.99, but without the A/V options. They only changed the picture on the box that no longer shows the A/V cables.
I've seen reviews where people thought they were getting another one of what they already owned and found out not the case and had to return. You'd think ROKU could have at least changed the name to something different than Express+.

P.S.: Sorry to hear yours is acting up. Do you keep it out in the open with good air circulation; you don't want the box or the power cube to overheat.

Old 05-25-2020, 10:56 AM

4,540 posts, read 13,500,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by halberto9 View Post
To make matters even more confusing Wal-Mart is still selling a ROKU Express+ for $39.99, but without the A/V options. They only changed the picture on the box that no longer shows the A/V cables.
I've seen reviews where people thought they were getting another one of what they already owned and found out not the case and had to return. You'd think ROKU could have at least changed the name to something different than Express+.

P.S.: Sorry to hear yours is acting up. Do you keep it out in the open with good air circulation; you don't want the box or the power cube to overheat.
Just looked ... well, that's not fair to swap out the picture of AV cords with a USB or HDMI photo. Plus I think the model numbers are almost the same, just one digit different. Shame on Roku.

As for mine, it could be heat. The TV sits in a cavity built specifically for it 15 years ago (yes the TV is that old and was probably top-of-the-line back then knowing the house's previous owner). There is one small space under the TV where the little Roku box just fits. The only other option is to let it dangle beneath the TV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet